PDA

View Full Version : plastic welding???

spyder
03-07-2004, 12:39 PM
After a recent run in with one of darn trees at the last race i realized i broke the plastic mounts on my front fenders. my boss told me to have welded with plastic does any body have a clue how to do that or is he pulling my leg. Thanks:huh

jonc623
03-07-2004, 01:42 PM
he is not pulling your leg try a auto body shop some of them use a plastic welding machine i just use a drill and zip ties to fix plastic it may work for you

Out_Sider
03-07-2004, 01:44 PM
u can buy stuff like JB weld..its suppose to weld plastic

T.Hopp
03-07-2004, 06:03 PM
Plastic welding exists but its costly. My #1 hobby is white water kayaking. I see alot of cracked plastic. One of my boats suffered a 4" long crack on the bottom from a rock much bigger than I. I checked a couple places to have it welded and the cheapest place wanted $75 minimum to weld it. Also, Some plastics can't be welded because it is a mixture of different recycled plastics. It is due to the impurities in the remanufacturing process. Just passing on some info.

beak7707
03-07-2004, 06:09 PM
My friend just bought a plastic welder for 30 bucks. I dont remember the website where he got it at, but I'll ask him and get it for you. I thought it was going to be a joke but it works good. It looks like a sodering iron, and you just burn a v-shape along the crack, then fill it with the clear plastic rod. After we welded the plastic I was bending and pushing on it pretty hard and it didn't break. For 30 bucks you cant beat this thing, I'll get you some pics and the website.

Texan32
03-07-2004, 06:12 PM
perhaps he was refering to "fusing" the plastic. If one was so inclined, you could try to heat the plastic up enough to just start melting it. Then push the two sides together. It would fuse (weld) the plastic back into 1 piece.

Personally, when i cracked my front fender, i drilled a handfull of tiny holes on both sides of the crack. Then, i used picture frame wire and "sewed it up". So, it looks like my finders have been stiched up by an ATV doctor:blah:

4wheelboy
03-07-2004, 07:27 PM
i just use a sodering iron and run it along the plastics till they get soft an put them togther :(

James Parent
03-07-2004, 07:50 PM
JB weld is 4 bucks, i cracked my seat nearly in half..

From the right side front to the left side almost to where the seat lock is (400ex) about a 2 foot crack.

i got some JB weld, cleaned the area really well, sanded it off (make it rough so it holds better) and applied the JB weld. I was supprised because it smoothed out by itself, and was hard in about 15 minutes ( theres two types.. 4 day and a 4 hour.. I recommend the 4 hour) its worth it...

after that i applied some Plastic renew.. you can't even tell, its perfectly new

James Parent

RideRedEX
03-08-2004, 05:38 AM
the website that beak7707 was talking about is www.urethanesupply.com just do a search for plastic welder they sale a special kit called atv fender welder. it works great

lil400exman
03-08-2004, 12:02 PM
is the 4 day a stronger bond james?

beak7707
03-08-2004, 08:07 PM
I've used both, and I think the fast drying holds up just as well.

brandonpeake
03-09-2004, 07:45 AM
yeah i used to put in natural gas lines and i fused the plastic pipe together with what looked like a spatula and it got 600 degrees F on each side and made lips on the pipe and u stick it together with another machine, so i can be done and work well
i think
harbourfreight.com sells them for cheap

WKY400EX
03-09-2004, 09:43 AM
Like brandonpeake said, check out Harbor Freight. Here's a link to the plastic welder. (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=41592)

James Parent
03-09-2004, 06:27 PM
i just recommended JB weld because its only 3.99$
I think the slow and quick dry are the same strenth..

the quick is better though.. especially if you need to do something upside down or don't feel like holding the two peices together for a long time.. just let the stuff harden for about 2 minutes and then its really sticky... on the JB Weld tubes it says you don't need any clamps or anything for the 4 hour.
james

You can pick this up at Pepboys or that new auto store Auto zone?

Black400
03-09-2004, 09:30 PM
eastwood.com has plastic welders.

the_hulkamaniac
03-10-2004, 08:21 PM
Yeah go with the plastic welder. I've done my 250r a few times, and some friend's quads. Once when the fender was 80% cracked off.

Fuse welding is ok but you will still need some material to go back in the crack. You do have to "V" the crack either with the element, utility knife, or a dremmel. 1/16 to 1/8 is all you will need. Most of the polymers they will give you "WILL NOT" stick! Either shave off a 1/4" from the outer edge of a fender, or find a friend with broken fenders and cut strips off it.

Then work in sections, aprox 3-4" long, also stagger the sections, on big cracks. This is to keep the plastic warm, and ready to accept the weld. First lightly fuse weld it. Then go over it again this time melting some of the cut plastic directly into the weld. Work slowly so it can melt completly through. Go to long and it will drip on the other side. You can make a second pass on the opposite side of the first weld to ensure it's good. Oh yeah 1/2" wide weld is good enough.

Either side will do. If you can't stand the look of it get a plastic renew kit sand and buff the weld. She'll be good as new.

Again my 250r has held up well for over a year now. I used red plastic to weld my factory white. Looks kinda cool.

Good luck

p.s. Do it some where ventlated/outdoors. The fumes can make you sick.