View Full Version : Which helmet to get???

shamisc
03-07-2004, 12:39 AM
I'm looking at the '04 O'neal Venom. Says it full carbon fiber and one of the lightest on the market. I would like a light helmet. What other good looking helmets are available for less than $200 that are very light??:confused:

hondarider2006
03-07-2004, 01:17 AM
I have a HJC clx-4 and its fairly light and looks decent. I picked it up for a little over $100 from my local dealer.

Lil - Braff
03-07-2004, 02:15 AM
I have a HJC clx-4 and a HJC ac-2. I love both of them. Now if you have a $10.00 head get a $10.00 helmet. If your head is worth more get a more expensive helmet. Make sure the helmet is DOT and SNELL rated.

03-07-2004, 08:51 AM
my hjc clx-4 is fuggin bad ***... one word of advice... get the helmet that fits snug around your head... it will kinda expand to the size of your head.l.. and you dont want it to loose and floppin around on your head

stepupmx
03-07-2004, 08:54 AM
Oneal 692 :)

Woodsrider
03-07-2004, 09:39 AM
HJC CLX-4, arguably the best helmet for your money.

Tainted Glory
03-07-2004, 10:00 AM
hjc chromium-worth every penny. really light too. weighed it a few dasy ago-just under 3lbs.

dirtmomma
03-07-2004, 10:28 AM
Yeah I was just looking @ helmets the other day for my oldest son, he's ready for a new one even though his isn't even a yr. old, he has a Vega POS DON'T BUY ONE OF THESE, think we're gonna go w/ the HJC-CLX4 also our sponsor said he'd give us a good deal on one, heck I was wishin since they are sporting his championship trophy & #1 plate(the only one in the store) they might throw one his way but I guess not :( oh well discount is good. LIlBraff I like your way of thinking hehehee, BUT I did get the lil man a M2R & it only cost me like $35 :eek: from ATVAddiction but he's about ready for a bigger one now, it sucks when the kids are so small & grow out of them so fast cuz I hate to hand them down plus we couldnt' anyway cuz DJ's old ones have been in a couple wrecks :rolleyes: I think I'll go w/ the M2R again for him, it's a good little helmet for the price!!!

Matt756
03-07-2004, 11:20 AM
i like the hjc clx4

Toadz400
03-07-2004, 11:20 AM
I just bought the cheapest helmet I could find at a local cycle shop, little over $100 I think...I really don't give a chit about fancy helmets and if they are made out of paper mache' or carbon fiber (same thing:p ). As long as it protects my head, it's perfect for me. My helmet has saved me plenty of times and it doesn't look half bad, that's all that matters to me. I would never spend $400-500 on one of those "Troy Lee Designs" helmets just because it looks nice...that's a joke.

JTRtrx250r
03-07-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by stepupmx
Oneal 692 :) had 1 of those as a spare...and some prick swiped it:mad: Shoei is the best you can buy...just costly..but its your mellon right? the 1 thing I wont skimp on is the wig-bucket:p

dirtmomma
03-07-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by JTRtrx250r
the 1 thing I wont skimp on is the wig-bucket:p

ROFLMAO thats a good one!! Hey why don't you bring that R down to Oakwood for a flattrack next Sat. night?? Don't worry about it not being a million $$ machine there aren't that many people there usually :( Just a small race but it's fun!!

JTRtrx250r
03-07-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by dirtmomma
ROFLMAO thats a good one!! Hey why don't you bring that R down to Oakwood for a flattrack next Sat. night?? Don't worry about it not being a million $$ machine there aren't that many people there usually :( Just a small race but it's fun!! Im still waiting to get my nerf bizms and axle:( :o :mad: Was planning on ordering them last week but the ol' lady just changed jobs and funds are extra tight this month, that and a few other probs I wont go into:rolleyes: I'll just say ppl that owe me $$ SUCK!!!:cuss: :grr:

Maybe I can come down and be a "pit ******" lol:D

ReconRider25
03-07-2004, 06:39 PM
i got a hjc clx-3 and a vega chrome flames one. both nice helmets, hjc is more comfortable but got dropped too many times and beat up a bit so im wearing the vega instead and hjc is backup. prices were 75 and 135 on sale.:macho lol.

Quad18star
03-07-2004, 07:18 PM
I got an HJC Chromium ( red ) . I love it . Weighs less than other HJCs . Only thing I found is that the chrome is very brittle . I dropped mine off the seat and it hit the foot peg ( did this twice actually) and instead of elaving just a scratch the chrome chipped a pretty big area . Ah well ... its good luck to drop it before the first ride .

WKY400EX
03-07-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Lil - Braff
I have a HJC clx-4 and a HJC ac-2. I love both of them. Now if you have a $10.00 head get a $10.00 helmet. If your head is worth more get a more expensive helmet. Make sure the helmet is DOT and SNELL rated. Don't skimp on the helmet. At the same time, you don't have to spend $500 to have a "top of the line helmet." It offers great proctection if it's both DOT and SNELL rated. I've got a Thor SVS, which if I'm not mistaken, is made by HJC? It's worth every penny. Good luck.

Disaster
03-07-2004, 09:48 PM
HJC is the way to go....

Nausty
03-07-2004, 11:01 PM
you might find this link helpful...

http://www.bobscycle.com

Also just telling u but don't get answer helmest they are pretty weak and I know a lot of people have had problems w/ the face guards breaking... Me included.

infantry317
03-08-2004, 02:43 PM
I raced XC with a CLX-4 but my neck would be very sore at the end of the race so both my buddy and I stepped up to the O'neal 904, I've only worn it once so far but its a very light well built helmet. I can't wait to wear it at the races.