PDA

View Full Version : Polishing/Buffing

TRX310R Rider
03-06-2004, 08:55 PM
For the past two days I've been using a buffing wheel and polishing a lot of the parts for the R that I am building. I did a few things and I am woking on the shocks right now. I am also going to do the motor and cases and a lot of parts. I will get pictures up here soon but I wanted to know how many of you do this? It takes a while to make it look really good and how you want but it sure does look nice when your done. So, anyway if you do buff any of the parts on your bike let me know and if you have pictures they would be cool to see...Later

Narly R
03-06-2004, 08:59 PM
I just rub on and rub off...

So do you just use a thing, like on the end of a drill or sumthing? Like a pad thing...? And just put polish on that?

CHAUNCY
03-06-2004, 09:01 PM
I should be starting to do alot more within the next couple weeks if all goes as planned:)

muff
03-06-2004, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Narly R
I just rub on and rub off...

So do you just use a thing, like on the end of a drill or sumthing? Like a pad thing...? And just put polish on that?

:o theres a helluva lot more to it than just that

:devil:

muff
03-06-2004, 09:04 PM
some of mine...

muff
03-06-2004, 09:05 PM

TRX310R Rider
03-06-2004, 09:08 PM
No, we have a Black&Decker bench grinder that I have buffing wheels on. Then I have this stuff made by a company called Columbian, it's a polishing compound called White Rouge Compound. It works really good, I will get pictures up here as soon as possible. My computer is acting up so I have to wait for my brother to get done with the other one.

Anyway though I also use a thing that my step-dad has, it's sorta like a dremel that goes into the air compressor and it uses small buffing wheels. It works good on those spots that are too small for the big wheels.

After I do the buffing on the wheel I use Mothers Metal Polish on the parts, it cleans it up and makes it shine a little nicer too...Later

muff
03-06-2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by TRX310R Rider
Anyway though I also use a thing that my step-dad has, it's sorta like a dremel that goes into the air compressor and it uses small buffing wheels. It works good on those spots that are too small for the big wheels.

die grinder :D

sounds like you got a pretty nice setup :p

fasterz
03-06-2004, 09:19 PM
how do u guys polish the motor mounts they have like somethin on them like a paint or somethin and ive tried everything to get it off, how did u guys get it off

TRX310R Rider
03-06-2004, 09:25 PM
Yeah, I love the stuff I have it works great. That die grinder I guess is what it's called is almost identical to the one I have. It works pretty good. Also fasterz I use the same bench grinder with a wire brush type wheel on my motor mounts. It got the paint of really nice and mine were almost starting to rust. I will try to get pictures of mine too. If you don't have a grinder or something use a wire brush and some elbow grease. It takes a long time but it works...Later

muff
03-06-2004, 09:40 PM
it also helps if the part is aluminum...dont have to worry about rusting one bit

TRX310R Rider
03-06-2004, 09:41 PM
Here are some pictures I just went and took real quick...

Here is the bench grinder I was talking about...
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid106/p3239a8d7f8e7035519301e06e2b6fdff/f96c0689.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid106/pc464f8bf25e79b40c8a30dccb5b404a8/f96c067d.jpg

Here is the compond I use...
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid106/p4f90e674fda2ade11722f4ebc8d76e6d/f96c0678.jpg

Here are pictures of the parts I am almost done with...
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid106/p3a3f3c75c6709274dd1c526a2ccade70/f96c0682.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid106/p00c1d24688cb375d77e309d0856f6e31/f96c068b.jpg

They are a work in progress but they are looking good so far...Later

muff
03-06-2004, 09:50 PM
looks good man

have you tried using any high grit sandpaper? it will help speed up the buffing process if used correctly

Narly R
03-06-2004, 09:55 PM
WOW! I have been missin out! Where can a guy pick up some of that "Columbian White Rouge Compound" at?

Looks good guys!:cool:

TRX310R Rider
03-06-2004, 09:56 PM
No I haven't tried the sandpaper...what do you do? I'm not worried about taking forever you know? I just want to get it done right and have it look good but if the sandpaper helps with looks I'd like to know how it works...Later

exrider123
03-06-2004, 10:02 PM
No I haven't tried the sandpaper...what do you do? I'm not worried about taking forever you know? I just want to get it done right and have it look good but if the sandpaper helps with looks I'd like to know how it works...Later

1.sand down until smooth, start with a lower, courser grit(i like to start around 220,320) then just work your way up until about 2000
2. once completely smooth i use the spiral sewn buffing wheel with tripoli compound. This step is partly finishing and removes all of the scratches and gives it a good shine
3. this is the finishing step with the loose sewn buffing wheel and white rouge compound..this give it the most shine and color
4. after you get done polishing there will be a black residue from the compound in some areas, fill a sink with warm sopay water and take a wash cloth and wipe all of the compounds off, this will not scratch the piece and it still leave a very good shine when done.

TRX310R Rider
03-06-2004, 10:07 PM
Narly R you can get the stuff at automotive stores probably like Auto Zone and places like that.

Thanks exrider123 I will have to try that. My shock reservoirs are pretty beat up and have a few dings in them, it should get those out a little right? Also I have been doing that with the soapy water, I thought it would make it look blotchy or scratch it but it looks pretty good. That black stuff gets everywhere. Thanks again though I will try that tomorrow...Later

exrider123
03-06-2004, 10:10 PM
Narly R you can get the stuff at automotive stores probably like Auto Zone and places like that.

Thanks exrider123 I will have to try that. My shock reservoirs are pretty beat up and have a few dings in them, it should get those out a little right? Also I have been doing that with the soapy water, I thought it would make it look blotchy but it looks pretty good. That black stuff gets everywhere. Thanks again though I will try that tomorrow...Later

No problem, the polish should help alot. Also after you're done washing the polished part put some Mothers billet on it, I've found this gives it a nice final look.

TRX310R Rider
03-06-2004, 10:13 PM
Oh, yeah I have been using the Mothers Billet stuff. I use it some before I buff the stuff too. It seems to clean it up a little better. Also, do you leave your parts buffed and polished like that or do you get them painted or anything? I hear a lot of people say there are problems with rust. Have you or do you know of anyone who has rust problems?

exrider123
03-06-2004, 10:23 PM
Oh, yeah I have been using the Mothers Billet stuff. I use it some before I buff the stuff too. It seems to clean it up a little better. Also, do you leave your parts buffed and polished like that or do you get them painted or anything? I hear a lot of people say there are problems with rust. Have you or do you know of anyone who has rust problems?

No I dont paint any of the parts i polish but if you want something to stay looking good and not have to bother with constantly touching it up after every ride than put some Duplicolor clearcoat on it however this will make it a little dull.

If your polishing aluminum theres is no way for the part to rust. The one way to tell if something is aluminum or not is by taking a magnet and seeing if it sticks if it sticks it is not aluminum but if it doesnt stick than it is aluminum.

TRX310R Rider
03-06-2004, 10:33 PM
Right right I understand that aluminum won't rust but I mean other things that aren't. I just went out and tried that magent thing. Since the shaft/body of the shock isn't aluminum, will it have any rust problems?

exrider123
03-06-2004, 10:38 PM
Right right I understand that aluminum won't rust but I mean other things that aren't. I just went out and tried that magent thing. Since the shaft/body of the shock isn't aluminum, will it have any rust problems?

Yes that means it will rust. Although you could coat it with clear coat although it might not stick it should but if you polish it and dont clear coat it will rust.

Matty24s
03-19-2004, 08:34 PM
so those motor mounts are just polished ?
they look awsome .

James Parent
03-19-2004, 09:00 PM
you guys ever use Mothers... it works really nice expecially when you don't feel like taking your bike apart to put it on wax on wax off
james

muff
03-19-2004, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by James Parent
you guys ever use Mothers... it works really nice expecially when you don't feel like taking your bike apart to put it on wax on wax off
james

yea but mothers isnt gonna get your motor mounts lookin like mine are man

AC 400 ex 02
03-20-2004, 09:38 PM
mothers works good but there are alot of other brands that make buffing compounds that come out way nicer like muffs, i've done some polishing, started low and went to high grit sandpaper, then used some buffing compound with a wheel, only thing is polished parts always need 2 be polished after so long, they get all hazy from weather, i clear coated a few parts but some i could because it burnt off from the heat of the engine

JHF219
03-23-2004, 02:45 PM
I actually do polishing for a living on the side if you know what i mean =) i have a lot of stuff that i have polished but imagestation keeps screwing around !! i do have picture of the cylinder head from my car but im bad at photography

http://www.wfo-motorsports.com/pics/head1.jpg