PDA

View Full Version : ceramic or stainless steel

Cripple
03-06-2004, 06:59 PM
i dont know whether to get the Sparks ceramic x-6 exhaust for my 400ex or the stainless steel, is the stainless that much better?

muff
03-06-2004, 10:02 PM
stainless steel

my friend purchased the ceramic for his yfz and had problems with the ceramic coating on the header flaking off

I have the stainless steel sitting in my garage...havent been able to run it yet

hondarider2006
03-07-2004, 01:53 AM
I have read a lot of posts of peoples ceramic coated pipes rusting. Not to many people have that problem with the stainless steal. If I was getting the X-6, I would go with the SS. Might weigh a little more, but thats about it.

muff
03-07-2004, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by hondarider2006
I have read a lot of posts of peoples ceramic coated pipes rusting. Not to many people have that problem with the stainless steal. If I was getting the X-6, I would go with the SS. Might weigh a little more, but thats about it.

stainless steel cant rust ;) so I dont think to many people could have that problem at all :p

AndrewRRR
03-07-2004, 11:04 AM
If the ceramic is done by a good shop, and isn't the spray-on crap it shouldn't flake or rust. I have ceramic on my 600's pipes and on the exhaust of the racecar (both several years old) and it looks as good as the day it was done. It really helps for keeping the heat down. Stainless is nice also.

Colby@C&DRacing
03-07-2004, 01:54 PM
I like the ceramic pipe from sparks if you get alittle surface rust just polish it with some mothers and it will protect it from surface rust and will shine it right up

Cripple
03-07-2004, 04:06 PM
pretty sure im going with the SS, but does the ceramic keep things cooler?

AndrewRRR
03-07-2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Cripple
pretty sure im going with the SS, but does the ceramic keep things cooler?

Yes, thats the purpose of it.

cals400ex
03-07-2004, 09:44 PM
yes, the ceramic will give better heat transfer. i bought the stainless and i don't regret it at all. my friend is having more trouble keeping his ceramic as neat as my stainless and his is only less than a month old. its not that big of a deal, but he is a neat freak. what i am doing is sending mine off to jet hot and just have them coat it. so, i get the benefit of stainless but i then can get better heat transfer after it is coated. i was quoted $60 for jet hot to coat the pipe from a member off of this site. however, i will call them to make sure. by the way, the ceramic doesn't just give better heat transfer but it also looks better. good luck