PDA

View Full Version : Maier quality WTF?

infantry317
03-06-2004, 10:42 AM
I heard they had some quality issues, but after an 1-1/2 hrs I still can't install my front race fenders, mainly due to the fact they didn't give me the correct amount of parts :mad: . Also the front tank cover holes won't line up. Here is a pic of all the fasteners that came along with the fronts and tank cover, and my stripped out fender bracket that i now have to replace due to the fact I tried to use the stock shoulder bolt (which bottoms out before the L-bracket is tight). I'm going to call Maier on Monday for a new install kit. Anyone got any tips and or pics on the tank cover install?

It will look good when I ever get it back together.
Thanks

infantry317
03-06-2004, 10:43 AM
tank cover

infantry317
03-06-2004, 10:45 AM
side view

nacs400ex
03-06-2004, 11:51 AM
Mine mounted up fine, when I had my 400ex ?? I guess its a hit or miss with maier.

muff
03-06-2004, 09:47 PM
first off the front mount is backwards...the flange should be facing outward

you know that kinda fat plastic spacer? that goes between the back of the front fenders and the frame "where the stock side panels bolt up"
using an adjustable wrech I was able to arc(bend) the top part or their mount to the plastic to help keep from creating crease marks in the plastic

as for getting the front of the gas tank cover to fit....i trimmed along the sides of the tank cover to help bring it down..and then used the stock push pins and jammed them in there

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid83/p05b52b29630aabe563003f6c0c42ecbd/fad5a8ea.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid83/pa5421f0e86c7b3ff50c5119031bb09f4/fad5a8aa.jpg

user101
03-06-2004, 10:37 PM
my maier plastic went on pretty easy. just follow the what little directions that come with the plastic. my tank cover is very hard to install too. the most important peice of advice i can give on installing maier plastic is to take ur time.

infantry317
03-06-2004, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the advice guys :)

Rip_Tear
03-07-2004, 12:00 PM
It seems as though anybody who has taken their time and not tried to "force" or use the wrong mount up procedures hasn't had any problems. It sems like just taking your time is best with Maier's plastic.

infantry317
03-07-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Rip_Tear
It seems as though anybody who has taken their time and not tried to "force" or use the wrong mount up procedures hasn't had any problems. It sems like just taking your time is best with Maier's plastic.

Not really, I can put my OEM plastic together and all the holes are aligned perfectly. If Maier was truly concerned they'd change their molds so as to have a perfect fit. You can see in the picture of my tank cover that I have the rear two holes aligned and fastened but the front of the cover and the front fender contures don't even match. Also, you can't follow directions if the described parts are not in the kit like they should be.:rolleyes:

user101
03-07-2004, 02:24 PM
the way i put my tank cover on is to align and fasten the front part first then i take a screwdriver to help align the back two holes.

muff
03-07-2004, 05:08 PM
if you want a custom quad you are gonna have to do some custom mods, some things just take more effort than others

yes, it would be great for maier to use stock molds, but for them to get the stock mods for all of the manufactures would be way to costly and they couldnt afford it

Rip_Tear
03-07-2004, 05:36 PM
They could afford it, but at that point we wouldn't want to pay for it. lol

redroost85
03-07-2004, 07:27 PM
When I was putting on my maier, the tank cover wasn't even close to lining up. I said screw it and went without it. It looks pretty cool and have gotten a few compliments from not running the cover.

infantry317
03-07-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by redroost85
When I was putting on my maier, the tank cover wasn't even close to lining up. I said screw it and went without it. It looks pretty cool and have gotten a few compliments from not running the cover.

I feel ya brotha :devil:

speedy400
03-07-2004, 07:53 PM
mine bolted up "alright" the tank covor would need to be a little wider other than that it worked out pretty well. Yours looks hella great though.You up for maybe going to KY for a riding trip? My riding group might have something going in like 1-3 months. shoot me a pm. -darren

brandonpeake
03-08-2004, 10:48 AM
to install maier plastic i had to cut the maier part to match up to the black sides i got from honda then i had to take a hammer to the little silver mounting piece and bend it to fit to install the fenders and hood over 4 hrs!
maier sucks ***** i will never buy it again!
but i did get my full fenders front and rear for $130

quad_quazy
03-10-2004, 06:45 PM
have you tried loosening up the rest of the mounts and then trying to put the tank cover on. I have maier race cut plastic and I also left my tank cover off. I cut the FWD tabs off because the steering stem hit them. It does look cool aspecially if you still have a black seat cover and black cabron fiber sticker down the front to look like a hood. It looks like there is a black stripe from front to back. Also if for some reason your at a race or out riding and you have to take your gas tank off (for whatever reason) you don't have to take your gas cap off to get the tank cover off and risk droping dirt down inside.

Just an opinion.

infantry317
03-10-2004, 07:09 PM
I ended up sawing out the front of the tank cover to make way for my +1 Rath stem studs, put in the round head bolts and just zip-tied the rear mounts since they don't line up, maybe I'll deal with that later. Anyway its all together now.

Silver400EXinBR
03-25-2004, 07:21 PM
http://www.altimas.net/registry/users/Black3.5Lv6/images/lg_4wheeler%20014.jpg

I did mine in about 30 everything lined up really good.. I just dont lik al the screw heads up front, And the only thing i couldnt get right was how that back bracket from you r seats mount to your fenders.. I was not about to drill nother hole in them..... How are you supposed to do it anyways???

user101
03-25-2004, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by quad_quazy
have you tried loosening up the rest of the mounts and then trying to put the tank cover on.
Just an opinion.

that helps too. i loosely bolt the plastic to the mounts and my tank cover ans side panels line up easier

tstrenuous10
04-01-2004, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by infantry317
side view

i see you dont have the front headlights installed on your bike. this is one thing i see common with this front end and another thing no one has addressed....where to put the key switch. since its in front of the handle bars on the OEM front plastics then you have to move it somewhere when you replace the front end. i WANT the black or dark blue plastics like you have so the more you can tell me about your installation the better. im mostly interested in cost, time, where you ordered it from, any problems you ran into during installation, where you put your key switch, any way to mount the gas cover without zip ties, can i keep the black pieces where the fuel switch is at on the bike.

muff
04-01-2004, 08:44 PM
you can mount the gas tank cover without zip ties, walsh makes a sick antivibe clamp that holds the key

you cant keep the stock side panels if you buy the race cut front, the front is all just one piece

i like mine :devil:

norrisboat
04-01-2004, 10:18 PM
i hated my maier plastics. mine didnt line up for *****. thats why i only run laker custom now. the lakers fit perfect.

CowsBitePeople
04-03-2004, 10:05 PM
I had the same problem when i had em on my old 400, with the tank cover:mad: It made me soo mad lmao!!

310Rduner
04-03-2004, 10:16 PM
Psssst, word of advice. That's why there is a company out there called Fullbore;)