PDA

View Full Version : looking to buy a cr80

trx300exrida
03-06-2004, 08:52 AM
Yeah im looking at trading in my 300ex for a cr80 if anyone knows anything about it please share it. also am i big enuff for the cr125. im about 5'6'' and bout 115 pounds. and im sure im big enuff for the cr80 right?

03-06-2004, 08:57 AM
i wouldnt suggest it. my friend has a cr80 and i can barely keep the front on the ground and im 5'9" and 120 lbs. but ive never rode a 300 ex before so it may have more power than a cr80

Fast250EX
03-06-2004, 09:07 AM
I've raced a KX80 in a 200ft drag before and beat it. It has such horrible bottom end it is pitiful. Just typical 2 stroke powerband. However, if they get about the middle of third gear, it just starts to haul like a mofo. I wouldn't suggest a 2 stroke bike if you trail ride a lot because it'll probably not ever hit the powerband.

However, if you are really hung on a bike, go for the Suzuki RM85. It has a ton of bottom end, way more than any other 80-85 anyway.

I was seriously thinking of a dirtbike at once, and even went as far as to test ride several. As soon as I rode one, I hated it. When the powerband kicks in, it is awesome but the bottom end is so pitiful, I still didn't think it was worth it.

Final verdict: Real motors have valves.;)

03-06-2004, 10:00 AM
thats what i'm talking about!!!...real mtors have valves...if you wanna ride fast and do wheelies you want thumper bottom end...

03-06-2004, 10:03 AM
oh yea for you guys who say you casn go alot faster on 2-strokes it true..they revv up alot faster but does it matter?you don't need to be going 90mph on a track...i rode a rm 85 before..and it did wheelies and was fast but not half as much fun on a 4 wheeler when you can..kick the back end loose and rooost

hondafox440
03-06-2004, 10:05 AM
You either hate the 2 stroke powercurve or love it. I still have a blast riding the CR80 I sold to my friend. Nothing like riding 200 foot long wheelies in 3rd gear on them.

But you are pretty small (and unexpierienced) for a 125. Look around for a CR80/85 Expert (big wheel), or a KX80/85 Big Wheel, or one of the new RM85 Big Wheel if you are looking to buy new. You may want to look for a KX/RM100 also. They have a big more bottom end than an 80/85 with similar top end.

Chanman420q
03-06-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Fast250EX
I've raced a KX80 in a 200ft drag before and beat it. It has such horrible bottom end it is pitiful. Just typical 2 stroke powerband. However, if they get about the middle of third gear, it just starts to haul like a mofo. I wouldn't suggest a 2 stroke bike if you trail ride a lot because it'll probably not ever hit the powerband.

However, if you are really hung on a bike, go for the Suzuki RM85. It has a ton of bottom end, way more than any other 80-85 anyway.

I was seriously thinking of a dirtbike at once, and even went as far as to test ride several. As soon as I rode one, I hated it. When the powerband kicks in, it is awesome but the bottom end is so pitiful, I still didn't think it was worth it.

pretty much all the 2 stroke dirtbikes have valves....

Powervalves;)

03-06-2004, 10:30 AM
pretty much all the 2 stroke dirtbikes have valves....

Powervalves-the real queston is where'd all the bottom end go?

TGW_400ex
03-06-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Fast250EX

No flame intended but if you beat a 80 on a 2550ex there had to be sumthin wrong w/ the bike or the rider a kx80 can stay w/ my 400ex

Chanman420q
03-06-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by TGW_400ex
No flame intended but if you beat a 80 on a 2550ex there had to be sumthin wrong w/ the bike or the rider a kx80 can stay w/ my 400ex

yeah those 80's are fast, they smoke 300ex's

Tommy 17
03-06-2004, 03:24 PM
i had a 1996 cr80 for 4 years...

10 years old 5'0 tall 75lbs-85lbs i'd say... (yes i was small) and i had no trouble riding it...

i sold it when i was 13 i think probably 5'5 115lbs or so...

cr80 don't have a powervalve

cr80 will be dead even with a stk 400ex, kill a 250ex all threw the race by anyone who knows how to ride, and run away from a 300ex with no problem...

cr80 has no low end but thats easily fixable with a 30$ set of reeds, pipe, air filter... get it in a power band (which anyone who can ride will do) and u'll love it... i rode trails daily with my bike with no problem... just have to open it up sometimes...

cr80 has the more wicked power band outta the 4 bikes ( i know i rode them all and my friends owned every other brand out there... i have pics to prove it)

my cr80 was never in the shop one time for a mechanical problem... the rms constantly blew up... yzs constantly had clutch problems... kxs were just totaly junk the bike never ran right form the start...

xr50layke
03-06-2004, 03:25 PM
my friend has a 91 kx80 with boyesen reeds, boyesen rad valve or something, pro circuit pipe and silencer, boyesen carb (unsure), and a wiseco piston, im like 240lbs and i beat his brothers (stock) 92 Rm125 in a drag with it, the front wheel is off the ground especially when you hit the band (2nd) and doesnt let off till 5th its sweet, i love lil bikes, im thinking of getting a cheap 125 just for the feel of the 2-stroke engine. call me paranoid but i like the short kicker and the way they kick over?? if that makes sence to anybody :confused:

but yeah that guy is right the RM85 is the beast of them all :)

but tommy u are dead right the CR is the most reliable of the bunch....i want to get me either one of the new RM125s or the new CR125