PDA

View Full Version : preparing for the dunes

redrider69
03-05-2004, 06:40 PM
hey im gonna be ridin the dunes this weekend and needed to know if i should do anything so sand wont **** it up so should i lube everything real good and what else ill be runnin reguler rzrsso anything i need to do

duneittilludie
03-05-2004, 09:43 PM
I would avoid putting lube on everything because the sand will just build up on everything you lube and make the situation worse.You will want to drop the pressure in your rear tires to probably 3 or 4 lbs.It might be a good idea to put fresh oil in before you go because if you arent used to riding in the sand you will probably be over reving your motor so new oil will help to keep it cooler.

HondaMan222
03-05-2004, 10:53 PM
the only thing you need to know to not mess it up is, watch out for drop offs

wilkin250r
03-06-2004, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by HondaMan222
the only thing you need to know to not mess it up is, watch out for drop offs

Yes yes yes. I cannot stress this enough. I've seen lots of riders who were very good riders, but were unfamiliar with dunes, and they go screaming over a small dune to discover a 15ft drop off on the other side, and end up in the hospital. Learn the characteristics of the dunes. It would be best to learn from somebody that knows the dunes you're riding.

redrider69
03-06-2004, 08:43 AM
thanks alot guys yea ive already changed my oil and ill take some air out thnks

TRX310R Rider
03-06-2004, 08:40 PM
Not only the drop offs like they said but watch everything. I would say go ride through a little slowly through the dunes and look at stuff before you start ripping it up. I'm not trying to say memorize the dunes, I'm saying just ride around, look at the dunes, watch other people riding. It will give you a better sense of how they work and how you should ride them.

Also, when you go riding always watch for other people especially sand rails/dune buggy's etc. I'm not flaming on anyone but those guys in the trucks, rails and buggys are in the biggest things and they can crush you, it's happened a lot of times. Most of all though just watch where your going and always look around to make sure you won't end up running straight into someone or the other way around.

Anyway, where are you going? Well, another thing, just have fun, the dunes are awesome and you'll love them after you ride them for a while. All me and my friends ride are sand and it's great so have fun...Later

JOEX
03-06-2004, 09:18 PM
I did the 'drop off' thing once:(

We were cruising along at slow pace and spread out. I looked back to see where some of the others were, turned back and saw a 6-8 foot drop off about four feet ahead. Didn't think I had enough room to stop so I hammered the throttle and went for it.

Landed on all four tires, chin on the cross bar and nuts on the tank. I putted along holding my groin, caught up to one of the others and he said 'dude, you're bleeding'. I looked down, blood all over my shirt and seat. Rubbed my chin and it felt like there was a wad of sand in my beard, turned out it was a flap of flesh. The pain in the groin was much worse than the chin.

A trip to the ER, six stitches, got back and went riding:D

Joe

airheadedduner
03-06-2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
I did the 'drop off' thing once:(

Me too, WFO and went off a 10 footer........new LRD rear shock soaked it up:D

One thing you might want to watch for is when it rains the top of big dunes get really soft. I have seen a lot of people get stuck, have there back tires sink in, and the quad roll down the hill over the top of them. Also good idea to check a jump before you hit it. I cant count the times me and my buddies would be cruseing the dunes hitting all the slideoffs and have a jump actully be a double, or worse have no backside and drop strait down:eek:

RH1N08d9
03-06-2004, 09:41 PM
just don't go flyin down and up every hill!, I was at little sahara, OK, today, and some guy on a yfz, without a helmet went off a drop off, and rolled when he landed, so watch the drop-offs! I use my head alot when in the dunes, and I actually haven't had any close calls yet after about 3 times in the dunes!

redrider69
03-07-2004, 06:25 PM
these dunes in camden tn, there pretty tight there is abut 5,000 acres and alot of mud and woods to

Sandgod4
03-09-2004, 04:44 PM
Never ever hit a razor straight on unless you already know whats on the other side or you have a spotter and are doing jumps. When cresting a dune hit it a 45 degree angle and go over it. The first thing you do is look at where the dune meets in the bottom. This will tell you how fast or slow you can go "through" the bottom. If it's kind of square edged you need to slow down "ALOT" and if it has a nice curve just run through it at normal speed..

stryker
03-10-2004, 03:16 AM
I am more familiar with the dunes on the coast and what these guys are saying is true. Just to add a little from my experience it is always a good idea to ride with a partner just in case you break down or do have an accident. Also the dunes here on the coast will change daily, especially in the winter when the winds get going. It's not uncommon for new dunes to form or a new hole to be made in one night, so be careful. But then again its a new adventure each day also. This might not be the situation in TN.

Tip: Take that rear skid off!! It acts like a shovel when stuck or trying to get out of a hole. You will also most likely need a flag if nobody has mentioned that to you yet. As far a greasing up everything, I wouldn't do that if I were you. It will just get sand stuck everywhere. Also, just because it is sand doesn't mean you shouldn't wear a helmet!! Hope this helps!!:cool:

PismoGuy400
03-10-2004, 04:46 PM
dont get overly confidend, when you think you know what youre doing and where youre going, you could find out how very wrong you were.