PDA

View Full Version : hot cam instal

chrisc
03-05-2004, 05:12 PM
when you put in a new hot cam . do you need to get new gaskets for the valve cover and do you have to talke the chain tentioner out and put a new gasket on it also or can you leave it in. and can any one tell me how much of a gain I will notice with a stage one. Thanks

cals400ex
03-05-2004, 05:33 PM
i think your talking about the metal gasket between the head and cover? if so, you can reuse that one given it is in good shape. the tensioner doesn't need to be removed when just installing the gasket. for removing the cam, yes you will want to remove it.

i have a feeling you will notice a nice gain in the mid to upper rpm's even with a stock piston. if you upgrade pistons, your gains should be even more. put it this way, you will notice a change. my cam/piston combo did way more than my x-6 pipe did.

komatsu kid
03-06-2004, 07:09 AM
dont forget to take out the pin and spring for the decompson used with the stock cam,you dont need it with hot cams. just trying to help

JDiablo
03-06-2004, 08:39 AM
i think someone should do a picture install on this,like how to install it etc,that would give me enough balls so i can do it by myself:macho

cals400ex
03-06-2004, 12:12 PM
is this on a 400 or 300? i was assuming a 400ex since you didn't say. if you have an owners manual, it will take you through step by step.

chrisc
03-07-2004, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by cals400ex
i think your talking about the metal gasket between the head and cover? if so, you can reuse that one given it is in good shape. the tensioner doesn't need to be removed when just installing the gasket. for removing the cam, yes you will want to remove it.

i have a feeling you will notice a nice gain in the mid to upper rpm's even with a stock piston. if you upgrade pistons, your gains should be even more. put it this way, you will notice a change. my cam/piston combo did way more than my x-6 pipe did. So I can reuse the gasket , is it the rubber kind? and what piston did you use and are you able to use pump gas or race fuel . Thanks Chris

Crawl69
03-07-2004, 10:54 AM
Unless you change the compression of your piston, you wont need to use race fuel. You can reuse the valve cover gasket, i put a little gasket shellac just to make sure it will seal.

cals400ex
03-07-2004, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by chrisc
So I can reuse the gasket , is it the rubber kind? and what piston did you use and are you able to use pump gas or race fuel . Thanks Chris

i am not sure the gasket your talking about. are you referring to the gaskets on each of the four valve cover caps? these little o-ring gaskets can be reused if they are in good condition. the gasket between the valve cover (what hold the rockers) and the engine head is a metal gasket from the factory. the head gasket is also metal from the factory. the base gasket (under the cylinder) needs to be replaced each time it is removed.

i am running a 10.8:1 ross piston. i run premium pump fuel in it.