PDA

View Full Version : powdercoating and tie rod ends

smokin01'400
03-04-2002, 06:56 PM
Hey guys, I am gonna rip my whole quad apart and get the frame and a arms and swingarm powdercoated. However, are the stock ball joints in the a arms replaceable? I know that you cant leave them in there to get it powdercoated cause they will melt. How do i get them out and when i get done with the project, do i have to get new ones to put back in?
Another question...when i take the swingarm off, do i need to replace any seals when i put it back on? Im gonna rip the swingarm off, and redo the carrier, grease the bearings etc, and install a new axle. i need some help on this one.

And finally.....what you all have been waiting for......Im thinking of powdercoating my a-arms and swing arm blue and my frame silver vein. What do you guys think. Im gonna get maier dark blue fenders and a nacs graphic kit and seat cover. I want my quad to look sharp. I got yellow springs on my Ohlins up front and i was wondering if i should paint the rear spring yellow to match the quad? sorry so long guys but, i need help and you guys know what your talking about

CBW
03-04-2002, 10:07 PM
on a 400??........the ball joints do not come out.........and cannot be replaced......but i know beerock was doing a modification to them to install replaceable balljoints then the a arms can be powdercoated.....on your swing arm just make sure that care is taken when removing it and all the hardware should be fine when re-installing unless the dust seals for the pivot bolt were damaged riding somehow...and the bearing carrier on a stock 400 has no gerase zerk to add grease to the bearings but one can be carefully installed by drilling a hole and tapping it for the zerk....remember to grease the needle bearings for the pivot bolt with high quality waterproof grease, at least that is what i use ....and as far as the rear spring goes it will be kind of hard to paint on the shock....just get a outerwares or something to match the blue of the plastic or the yellow of the front shocks.......

trx400ex
03-05-2002, 01:34 PM
i need to tell you something....dont get maier!!!it looks like crap after a month or 2 of riding.....get stock , much cheaper and muchhhhhhhhbetter......and i actually have maier too, a month old and im already gonna replace it

smokin01'400
03-05-2002, 02:14 PM
Chris- thanks man but that realyls sucks..i thought you could just punch them right out? :huh guess not then.

Trx400ex- i know miear sags like a champ and is dull colored but i want blue fenders so my quad will match..if i get stock red fenders again or yellow ones..what color should i get the frame and arms and swingarm powdercoated?
Andrew

trx400ex
03-05-2002, 03:33 PM
you could get yellow plastic and a black frame or red and black, i dont know, but id hate to see you spend money on plastic thats gonna look bad....the dull part doesnt bother me at all,, the fact that it sags and barely fits does

smokin01'400
03-05-2002, 06:40 PM
thanks man..well guys...how about it? what colors should i do...how about like the new atv sport mag wit the duncan 440....the red frame with yellow plastics? i can get any part i want powdercoated for free any color i want. But i cant get my frame done cause the oven isnt big enough. so..what do you guys think?

Leo
03-05-2002, 06:52 PM
Talk to beerock he can modify your stock A-arms to accept removable ball-joints..

He's doing mine right now, I'll let you all know how they come out.

Leo

smokin01'400
03-05-2002, 06:58 PM
thanks leo :devil

03-07-2002, 03:36 PM
i say get yellow frame w/ red plastics
:D

:square :macho

smokin01'400
03-07-2002, 08:28 PM
thanks for your opinion man. anyone got pics of a yellow frame with red plastics?

Leo
03-09-2002, 07:16 AM
I will in 2-3 weeks, I'm having mine done all red (frame, a-arms, swingarm, etc...)

If I don't like it with the yellow plastic I'm just going to buy some red (plastics pretty beat anyway ;)) but I think the yellow / red will look good!

Leo

smokin01'400
03-09-2002, 05:01 PM
how about a metallic blue frame and a-arms and swingarm and the subframe with red factory plastic with a Honda of Troy graphics kit? i dont know how good that would look but i want to make sure i get a sharp looking color scheme going and i got some time to think about it so.....help...later guys

trx400ex
03-09-2002, 05:11 PM
i think yellow would be better with blue

smokin01'400
03-09-2002, 05:14 PM
what should i do as far as fenders (maier or stock)? and what graphcis should i get to match?

RoostinOna400ex
03-09-2002, 07:11 PM
I would get stock plastic because it is shiny. Maeir looks like a sanded down car!! I dont know where you can get if for cheap because if you go to a Honda dealer they will charge you out the but?? I guess go to Ebay!?! Anybody know where you can get cheap stock plastic that isnt used??

Leo
03-09-2002, 07:55 PM
stock 400EX plastic is very reasonably priced..

Leo

RoostinOna400ex
03-09-2002, 08:08 PM
How much is brand new stock plastic?

smokin01'400
03-09-2002, 08:40 PM
hey Roostin, I think service honda would be the cheapest for stock plastic. But heres my final plans on what im doing....

1). dark blue maier fenders....standard fronts with standard rears.
2). dura blue eliminator axle plus 4
3). Stock honda subframe
4). Nacs graphics kit and seat cover
5). Pro action revavle of my stock rear shock
6). Duncan racing bumper
7). Black shock covers front and rear

I am painting my frame metallic red along with my a-arms, new subframe, swingarm, and my rear brake caliper.

And Im painting the oil tank metallic blue like a raptors frame along with my hubs, and my steering stem.

what do you guys think?

It will look like Danas 400 a little except his A-arms are only red and everything else will be close to identical. :devil :devil

smokin01'400
03-09-2002, 09:06 PM
oh, i almost forgot...In case you guys were worried that i was painting it myself with high gloss spray paint, im not so you dont have to hold your breath any longer ;) its getting done by a professinoal paint shop that uses some high-tech paint guns. jus thought id mention that

Tommy 17
03-10-2002, 11:36 AM
that will look good andy as long as u don't touch the paint gun:D haha j.k

03-10-2002, 07:30 PM
My best reccomendation is to get the frame powder coated to look like carbon fiber. My friend did that with his 250R which has dark blue plastics and it looks really cool. Also if you do that try getting a polished front bumper it will look really cool.

smokin01'400
03-10-2002, 07:40 PM
i cant get my frame powder coated cause my friends oven isnt big enough thats why im getting it all painted..i can get my swingarm done any color i want though for free but it will look weird with everything else painted and the swingarm powdercoated. later