PDA

View Full Version : axel locknot problem

TheFontMaster
03-05-2004, 02:08 PM
hears my problem i got a 300ex and the axel an it is sliding back and forth about 1/4 -1/2 of an inch. The locknut seems tight, but is moving a little more than the axel. the threads that would hold on the locknut or the thing for the brake roater are also showing a little. If anyone can help me with this problem i would greatly apreciate it

also i dont want to bring it into the shop because ive already put way too money into, and i want to make it aceptable to sell. If anyone wants it im asking 1400 dollars as is. It would also need a gasket.

beak7707
03-05-2004, 02:16 PM
The whole axle moves side to side, or the axle nut is backing off? IF the axle nut keeps backing off, wrap black tape around it.

Cole Trane
03-05-2004, 02:42 PM
If it's a stock lock nut, you should try tightening it. They are usually a pain to get off because all of the sand and dirt in the threads, so it might seem tight but it's probably loose. Try to tighten the axle nut.

westcoastmxer
03-05-2004, 03:53 PM
i had the same problem w/the locnut and i finnally j/sent it bak to the shop and vince said i was puttin it on backwards or sumpin..i dont see y they cant j/make them slide on and twist to tightin but o well.:confused:

TheFontMaster
03-05-2004, 08:20 PM
It is the stocker. I know its not backwards. the whole thing is sliding. The axel and locknut. ill try the tape idea.

beak7707
03-05-2004, 08:28 PM
The only thing the tape will do is keep it from backing off. You will have to get it tight first. Those things can get rusted together and be a bear to move. On my friends we had to get a 3 foot pipe wrench to get it tight, it sounds to me like you don't have it tight yet.

TheFontMaster
03-05-2004, 08:40 PM
im workin on it tomorow. Ill put another reply once i try it

TheFontMaster
03-06-2004, 08:03 PM
It was the locknut. Thanks for the help.

I hvent gotten it tottaly tight yet i need a bigger wrench, they really are hard to tighten.

beak7707
03-06-2004, 09:52 PM
Cover it in a lubricant and let it soak, try to clean up threads as much as possible. I'm sure you know this by now, but the axle nut is reverse threads. Just to make sure you are going the right way. If it continues being a problem the anti-fade axle nuts are great, you can find them used fairly cheap and your axle nut problems will be solved.

Cole Trane
03-07-2004, 10:05 AM
If you don't care about messing up the lock nut a little bit, you can use a pipe wrench.

TheFontMaster
03-07-2004, 07:32 PM
thanks fer the help. my nighbors are farmers so tomorow ill get a wrench that will fit around it and get it tight. Ill also try some wd40