PDA

View Full Version : BRAKE BLEEDING, JABBER STYLE..

JabberJaw
03-04-2002, 06:51 PM
BLEED YOUR BRAKES PERFECTLY EVERYTIME

I was working on my bike today and had completely removed the rear brake caliper to clean it, and inspect it. I had read on here how to bleed the brakes using a friend and making a mess, and about a pump that cost $30 dollars...I thought for a minute and came up with this $1.25 idea.

I used 3 ft of that clear hose you use on those little fish tank pumps. I heated the end of the hose a little with a lighter, slipped it over the nipple on the bleader valve and let it cool for a second.

I ran the hose up over the rear grab bar and over to my open brake fluid resivour. I loosened the bleader valve and held the end of the hose over the resivour while I slowly pumped the brake pedal to push the fluid up the hose and right back into the resivour. You just hold the pedal down until the bubbles of air rise up the hose when you let go solid fluid will suck back in the caliper.

Keep doing this until no air comes up the hose. You can see even the smallest bubble of air with eaze. Tighten the bleader valve back down, pull the hose off and pour the remainder left in the hose back in the brake fluid bottle.

Now you have done a professional job for $1.25

NJ300ex
03-04-2002, 07:55 PM
Put this in the FAQ forum.

Tommy 17
03-04-2002, 08:23 PM
omg jabber u actaully made a post containing not a lot of info are u sure this isn't a joke:D haha i gotta go try this tomorrow i need to rebleed my brakes....

Leo
03-04-2002, 08:24 PM
Wow, had to read that twice.. the first time I read it I thought "that's not very funny jabber.." then I realized you were being serious! Kind of threw me for a loop :D

Another variation is to put the tube in another bottle of brake fluid (about 1/2 full or so) and simply pump the brakes while topping off the resevoir.. this allows you to bleed + flush the brakes at the same time..

(FWIW this is how I do it at work)

Sending a copy of this to the FAQ forum..

Leo