PDA

View Full Version : gas in oil?

garett
03-05-2004, 12:14 PM
i just had my 2003 400ex jetted i rode 5 hours last sat. i checked my oil today its full and smells like gas bad wtf is going on and what do i do?

AndrewRRR
03-05-2004, 12:17 PM
piston rings?

garett
03-05-2004, 12:20 PM
it has less than 30 hours on it better not be piston n rings plus i did it after i had it jetted

mustang93
03-05-2004, 03:35 PM
mabey jetted to rich or the new rings arnt seated well or broken in yet did you hone the cylnder?

garett
03-05-2004, 04:02 PM
nope stock engine kn outerwear n outerwear lid slip on e series is all n jetted n choke removed all this happened when i changed from stock n did all this?

mustang93
03-05-2004, 07:08 PM
what size jets main, pilot, & needle position?

AndrewRRR
03-05-2004, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by garett
nope stock engine kn outerwear n outerwear lid slip on e series is all n jetted n choke removed all this happened when i changed from stock n did all this?

Are you sure this all happened since you changed your jetting? Did you smell the oil before you changed the jets? Was it in a container that had not had fuel in it before? Were your hands clean, etc? Wanna eliminate all the variables. I don't see how a jetting change could possibly cause this.
Also is it jetted properly now or is it rich or lean?

mustang93
03-05-2004, 07:13 PM
If its to rich he could be washing out the rings, (exsess un burned fuel travels with blow-by to the crankcase)

garett
03-05-2004, 07:26 PM
great now im really bummed its prob a new junk quad now

mkremer1
03-05-2004, 11:54 PM
Do you turn off your fuel petcock? I had this problem with an XR200 and fuel was leaking through the carb. into the cylender and so on into the crank case.

garett
03-06-2004, 04:47 AM
yes i turn it off. i hope its my jetting or i will have a 03 ex for sale real quick like

400exdad
03-06-2004, 07:08 AM
Garrett, if its not puffing black smoke due to being too rich, and it runs well, I doubt its getting gas in the oil from the rings... just being a little rich. Must be something else. Change your oil and watch it some more.

Last thought, since it brand new, have you changed your oil yet? Who did the work on the jets? Is is possible that while they had the carb off, some fuel when in the vent hose when it was upside down?

ghak99
03-06-2004, 07:57 AM
I am a little confused, is it a new quad, a fresh rebuild, or what? If you just rebuilt it, the rings might still be seating in.
It could also be jetted way too rich, how does it run?

either way change the oil and watch it some more.....and do a little praying to the quad god your problem goes away.....lol:D

garett
03-06-2004, 05:07 PM
It is a 2003. I rode last summer stock. Over the winter I did these modifications. I have only rode it once since I did the modifications. It's not running the greatest, I think there is still jetting problems. I'm putting the choke back in and having it re-jetted and the oil changed. Hope this solves the problem. Maybe something got stuck in the carb. I hope this is the problem anyway, if not, for having less than thirty hours and the pistons and rings goes bad I will drive my 400 ex through the dealerships frikin window.

ghak99
03-06-2004, 05:25 PM
Well build a little ramp so you at least get to the parts counter!....lol

If it started this after it set all winter, check you float and the rest of the guts of the carb to make sure there is no build up and all parts are moving freely. Check for areas that could have varnished or have a build up of dirt and grime Putting the choke back in will not cure your problem though.

Good Luck! and get some good pics if you do decide to crash the place!

brian400ex
03-07-2004, 10:45 AM
My battery went did and i tried bump starting it by being pulled up the rode with the choke on and giving it gas. Never did start until i cleaned my spark plug. After i got it running i check my oil and it was too full and smelled like gas. Good think i didn't run it too much before i checked.

Later

garett
03-07-2004, 10:50 AM
it starts fine tho im hoping the carbs stuck er sumthing please not piston n rings.

mustang93
03-07-2004, 07:48 PM
also if they were dialing in the jets with out taking the carb off they might of pulled the crank vent hose (gives more room to get to the main jet) off prior to droping the 17mm access plug on the carb alowing the contence of the bowl to get into the crank case

the yazer
03-07-2004, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by mustang93
also if they were dialing in the jets with out taking the carb off they might of pulled the crank vent hose (gives more room to get to the main jet) off prior to droping the 17mm access plug on the carb alowing the contence of the bowl to get into the crank case

im with him mustang93 that is the only way thing that sounds right on such a new machine

skemp
03-08-2004, 02:25 PM
One very common problem is carbs leaking when the quad is sitting. If even a grain of sand gets into the needle valve, the floats will stick open and gas will drain into the motor. I have found my quad several times with a crankcase full of gas and an empty gas tank. My FCR recently sucked up a pebble the size of a BB into the needle seat and it drained the tank. Sounds like this is the problem. You have to fully disassemble the carb to see if there is anything in there.

AndrewRRR
03-08-2004, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by skemp
My FCR recently sucked up a pebble the size of a BB into the needle seat and it drained the tank.

That'll teach you to run without a fuel filter! haha