PDA

View Full Version : Pro's, what brand of PADS!

markk
03-05-2004, 10:21 AM
What is eveyones favorite break pad? And what seems to last the longest for eveyone???

AtvMxRider
03-05-2004, 02:13 PM
Stock pads.

Silverfox@C&DRacing
03-05-2004, 04:28 PM
Stock and DP pads.

Pappy
03-05-2004, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Silverfox@C&DRacing
Stock and DP pads.

yup:cool:

MOFO
03-05-2004, 04:48 PM
I've used all different types of brake pads and found that the OEM stockers do last the longest... :macho

INFANTRY RACING
03-05-2004, 10:45 PM
moose

UglyMotha™
03-05-2004, 10:48 PM
i've tried all the top brands and i've come to the conclusion that you can't beat the stock pads

Dave400ex
03-06-2004, 10:46 AM
Stock and DP. I will be getting a set of DP soon.

cdalejef
03-07-2004, 04:16 PM
DP will last as long as if not longer than stock.

Matt756
03-07-2004, 04:22 PM
stock

nickracing
03-07-2004, 04:47 PM
EBC Severe Duty

Flip_SideEX
03-07-2004, 05:53 PM
Maxi Pads:macho

lol jk, so stock is the way to go? I'm thinking about putting in new brakes on my 400ex this summer since they are getting worn down.

Chef
03-07-2004, 05:56 PM
I used braking all race season, and I only had to replace the fronts once on my EX. TT is pretty hard on brakes, too. :)

lil400exman
03-07-2004, 05:58 PM
yeah chef since ya ride the brakes on the strights :eek2: :blah:

Chef
03-07-2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by lil400exman
yeah chef since ya ride the brakes on the strights :eek2: :blah:

Only when I wanna give someone like you someone to race with! :eek: :blah:

Silverfox@C&DRacing
03-07-2004, 06:03 PM
I went through a set of braking pads in a day granted it was wet and muddy.

Texan32
03-07-2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by markk
What is eveyones favorite break pad? And what seems to last the longest for eveyone???

well, i just put about 30,000 miles on the pads the dealer put on. I just had to change them out. I put a set of Autozone ceramics on there cuz i don't like the brake dust.

....OHHHHH, you ment pads for your quad:rolleyes: :p

Stockers will outlast aftermarket pads 9 out of 10 times.

INFANTRY RACING
03-07-2004, 06:48 PM
I went through a set of braking pads in a day granted it was wet and muddy. i don't think thats fair to say about them since it's muddy. i've gone through pads in 1 mx moto due to muddy conditions

Silverfox@C&DRacing
03-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by INFANTRY RACING
i don't think thats fair to say about them since it's muddy. i've gone through pads in 1 mx moto due to muddy conditions

I have ran similar conditions with the DP pads and they are still on the 400 and have been for 6 months.

INFANTRY RACING
03-07-2004, 07:05 PM
i'v ran moose pads in the mud and they have out lasted anything else i've run. there expensive but they last longer.

thejeepdude
03-08-2004, 12:10 AM
Brakes? Who needs brakes?!?! :p

Matt756
03-08-2004, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by thejeepdude
Brakes? Who needs brakes?!?! :p
Me i not safe with brakes lol

xc400ex
03-08-2004, 06:04 PM
I ride in the woods and race harescrambles and use EBC sintered and they will last 6 months on the front compared to 3 with stock. I dont see how you guys can use stock when I bought my 400 new the backs were wore out within a week riding in no mud.

user101
03-08-2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by xc400ex
I ride in the woods and race harescrambles and use EBC sintered and they will last 6 months on the front compared to 3 with stock. I dont see how you guys can use stock when I bought my 400 new the backs were wore out within a week riding in no mud.

i use ebc brakes. i tried stock pads but they didnt last nearly as long as the ebc's.

northeast400
03-08-2004, 08:03 PM
my stocks only lasted a few rides

nuttynewt
03-09-2004, 08:36 AM
I went through a set of braking pads in a day granted it was wet and muddy.

Same here... Braking pads suck. I couldn't get a set of EBC's, so I went with a set of Braking and in a one day ride my rear was down to the metal. Then, my buddy bought a set before I got a chance to tell him and the exact same thing happened.

I will ONLY use EBC pads now, I have great luck with them and I think they last longer than stock. I always keep a couple extra sets in the shop.

KY Woods Rider
03-09-2004, 11:19 AM
My first choice is Braking CM44 compound pads, and they are the only pad that I will use on the rear (I'm a rear brake's worst nightmare :D). They last much longer than stock and stop as good or maybe even better than stockers once they get warmed up. However, when the brakes are cold, they don't work worth a crap, they just don't have that firm grab when cold. This isn't much of a problem for me though, as the brakes don't stay cold for very long (yeah, I know, I'm riding the brakes too much :p). If I'm at a race and need good braking power for the first turn, I just drag the brakes on the way to the line to get 'em warmed up. Also, you would think that the big creek crossings would cool them down enough to lose stopping power, but once you get them warmed up they continue to work well even if you do cross an ice cold creek.

My second choice is the stock Honda pads, and they work better than the Braking CM44 when they're cold. My only real complaint is that the stockers don't last very long in the mud. I have to be extremely careful and try to be gentle on the brakes or I can go through a set of rear pads in less than 2hrs of riding in muddy conditions. They last reasonably well in dry conditions though. I often use stock pads on the front (I am right now in fact), because they are easier to find locally and I'm not quite as rough on the front pads.

I tried some Braking SM11 compound pads a couple years ago, and one set was all I needed to try to know that I didn't want any more of them, so don't get them confused with the CM44s. When the conditions are very dry, the SM11s provide good stopping power and heat doesn't seem to bother them (they might be good for TT), but water and mud is their enemy. If you start hitting the water holes, you lose a lot of your braking power until the water dries off. If you start running through mud holes, you'd better have an extra set of pads with you, because you're gonna need 'em.

The longest lasting pads that I've ever used were EBC full metallic. However, I personally don't like their feel or stopping power. It almost feels like there's a bit of oil on the rotors when using them, you hit the brakes and have a firm pedal/lever, but they just gradually slow you down. However, for people who only do casual trail riding and aren't worried about running it into a corner as fast as possible, they work fine and last quite a while.

I haven't tried the DP pads yet, but I keep hearing good things about them. After I found out that I liked the Braking CM44, I bought up a few sets of them and have been using them ever since. However, my last set of the Braking CM44s are on the rear of my EX right now, so I may try a set of DP when these wear out.

03-09-2004, 11:29 AM
DP sever duty are longest lasting brake pads I have found. they do not work quit as good as DP mx pads though. which they don't last quit as long. but the stock pads are right there too.
out of the three pads I have mentioned I rank them this way.
Durability
1 DP severe duty
2 Stock
3 DP MX

stoping ability
1 DP MX
2 Stock
3 DP sever duty

GNCC#829
03-09-2004, 07:32 PM
Go to Advance Auto Parts and get a set of theirs that have a 1 year warranty. They are only 16.99 too! The stockers are about double that. I have never had a set of stock pads last a year, and WHEN these wear out in a few months they will replace them free of charge. The part number is PA 3600459 if anybody wants it. They will plobably have to order them, but for that price and the warranty, why would anyone buy a stock set ever again!:confused:

dbsbl1
03-09-2004, 09:35 PM
I have ran similar conditions with the DP pads and they are still on the 400 and have been for 6 months.

Do you guys sell DP's?

markk
03-17-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Flip_SideEX
Maxi Pads:macho

lol jk, so stock is the way to go? I'm thinking about putting in new brakes on my 400ex this summer since they are getting worn down.

This summmer lol, It seems that i may get 2 races out of my pads if i dont do alot of hard core riding inbetween, how long do the DP's and Stock break pads actully last u guys??

James Parent
03-17-2004, 05:07 PM
Don't use your front brake as much lol.. should i keep the shim on the front brake pads when i change them?

rap169
03-17-2004, 05:19 PM
advanced auto sell quad pads?

GNCC#829
03-17-2004, 05:32 PM
The only ones that I know that they have are the ones that fit 400ex/300ex/250x. Other quads use the same pads too.

powerstroke
03-17-2004, 06:52 PM
if you are on a 400ex about the only thing you can do to get any kind of brake pad life in the rear is to put a 250r caliper on it. I raced 400's for about 4 years and for some reason they just eat up brake pads in the rear. If you can pick up a 250r caliper at a reasonable price it doesnt take very long for the savings in brake pads to far offset the price of the caliper. Also a solid rear rotor helps pad life tremendously. good luck. Matt