PDA

View Full Version : Engine Smoking???

250rtone
03-04-2004, 11:08 PM
I thought that would get your attention, anyway . I was at the dealer tonight visiting my quad and we decided to fire her up in the showroom, as soon as it started i noticed what seemed to be white smoke when you would give it some throttle, my bike has about 10-15 miles on it and they were on smooth gravel roads, i did go through the gears quickly a few times ,but at no time during the ride did i have it wide open. I am very fussy and want to break the engine in as per the honda recommended way. Anyone else notice this with there 450's? It didn't smell like oil burning smoke but more like it was running rich, what do you guy's think?

YFZ PILOT
03-05-2004, 12:05 AM
You need to ride it like you stole it for proper break in...:D

racers
03-05-2004, 12:40 AM
Was engine FULLY WARMED( Water and oil) up first? Did you just cruse or vary the rpm range during those 10-15 break in miles? If you were just crusing constant for any length of time you coulda messed up the ring break in procedure. You must vary the engine rpm and pressue direction(decelleration-accelleration)in many cycles (30-40 runs building rpm each time ,with several complete cool down cyles thrown in , )before attempting any full throttle or sustained constant throttle positions. Just try and break it in again and it could help but maybe there is already a little blow-by. Maybe I'm not right but it's a thought .

250rtone
03-05-2004, 07:22 AM
No, the engine was not fully warmed up when i noticed it, we started it up and shut the choke off and slightly used the throttle to keep it from stalling. We only had it runnig for about a minute in total.It took us about an hour to ride the 10-15 miles and i was CONSTANTLY shifting through the gears to put various loads on the engine but i only performed 1"cool down". I didn't bag on it and i didn't cruse at a constant rpm for any length of time.

44oEX
03-05-2004, 09:14 AM
if it's white smoke your not burning oil. if you where the smoke would be blue.

alias
03-05-2004, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by YFZ PILOT
You need to ride it like you stole it for proper break in...:D

affirmative :devil:

jarsong
03-05-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by 250rtone
I thought that would get your attention, anyway . I was at the dealer tonight visiting my quad and we decided to fire her up in the showroom, as soon as it started i noticed what seemed to be white smoke when you would give it some throttle, my bike has about 10-15 miles on it and they were on smooth gravel roads, i did go through the gears quickly a few times ,but at no time during the ride did i have it wide open. I am very fussy and want to break the engine in as per the honda recommended way. Anyone else notice this with there 450's? It didn't smell like oil burning smoke but more like it was running rich, what do you guy's think?

Condensation in the exhaust from 50 million startups without getting up to Temp.
jarsong

250rtone
03-05-2004, 05:11 PM
Its only been started about 40 million times...;)

sandspanker
03-05-2004, 11:41 PM
:) Break your bike in like like you are riding your girlfriend. Give it @$#* if you break it in as per the manule you will be rebuilding sooner then if you just ran the crap out of it . I broke in my 2000 400ex in about 18 inches of snow third gear pinned. still runs as good as it did when it was new. Does not use any oil and does not smoke on startup. run it hade you will not have any problems.

250rtone
03-06-2004, 12:06 AM
How many riders here have broken ther bikes in this way? (hard)

BigThumper33
03-06-2004, 03:24 AM
I break in all my machines this way.

I broke in my race quad this way every time I had the motor redone(rebuilt for performance means only, never because of blowby)

My dirtbike is the same.

The cross hatching on your cylinder after a hone only has a short time to have contact with the rings. After that time is up, your rings are no longer being "cut" for that cylinder.

I ride it hard as hell, once it has come to temp, then I change the oil. After that she is ready to go.

03-06-2004, 07:14 AM
your suppose to break your quad in the way you plan to ride it. if your going to go fast and race then get it to your house and tear *** around the yard. if your going to trail ride and just putt around then follow the honda manual .

250rtone
03-06-2004, 08:20 AM
I don't think i would have got an R if i was going to"putt around".;)

BSTURDIVANT
03-06-2004, 08:21 AM
We just tore 1 apart to install a big bore and 13 to 1 and noticed it had a big scratch about 1" long in the ring travel area!!
It was smoking after 45 min of operation. There was apiece of metal under the oil ring.
Take your quad out and run it fairly hard after warm up! If it still acts up you may have a problem, but is probably just burning preservatives out of the exhaust.
Don't lug it around- a good motocross race would definately finish breaking it in!!