PDA

View Full Version : adjusting a clutch

Tommy 17
03-04-2004, 07:13 PM
is there a way to tell if ur clutch is adjusted right, i just put in brand new clutches, springs, and a stk cable and i want to make sure its adjusted right...

i'm pretty sure i have the clutch adjusted right but i want to make sure i have it... i don't want to ruin the clutches i have now bc i thought i had it adjusted right... is there a certain way to do it??? i have it adjusted to where it lets out about half way out through the travel...

2004TRX450R
03-04-2004, 07:43 PM
How much freeplay do you have in the lever before it starts to pull the clutch open? Make sure you have some freeplay. If not it won't clamp down all the way tight and will start slipping.

INFANTRY RACING
03-04-2004, 07:43 PM
where the clutch lever and perch meet when you let the clutch out(on the very front side of the clutch where the adjuster is. you should have about 1/8 in of slack. you wanna be able to stick a nickel in there without it having to engage the clutch

03-04-2004, 07:57 PM
nice info there. :)

DantheEXman
03-05-2004, 04:34 PM
Also, you can look at where the clutch pin goes inot the engine. Make sure you can move the plate about an 8th inch or so to ensure the clutch has free play in it. As long as you can move it a little with your finger.

Same idea as Infantry Racing, but just to ensure that your clutch itself is releasing all the way incase you have a problem with your cable or clutch lever.