PDA

View Full Version : how do you all like your kfx 400's/

JDiablo
03-04-2004, 01:37 PM
just wondering what are the pro's and con's of this bike etc,and can you post some pictures to

4TraxRider
03-07-2004, 08:53 PM
I line the more I ride it. I still like my EX more, but with every mod i add to the Z I like it more. The only thign I really don't like is my frame, I've had lots of problems with it. Other than that, its a really solid bike. I've gota see how it handle this MX season.

montyjcm
03-09-2004, 09:25 PM
How would you say it compares to your ex, stock to stock, and mod for mod?

batgeek
03-10-2004, 12:36 AM
correctly gusset the frame on the Z/KFX/DVX and it'll do anything you want it to.

the motor is strong and with mods can be devestating.

stock suspension SUCKS!

plastics are iffy, KFX plastics are the worst(it discolors very easy) though i haven't had any experience with the DVX stuff.

stock chain adjustment on the Z/KFX SUCKS. haven't had any experience with the DVX, but i heard it was alot simpler.

lots of wiring, wish it was as simple as a 400EX.

stock CDI sucks.

reverse is a nice bonus, though not necessary.

Z/KFX/DVX ride high, but you get used to it. or you change it(suspension).

i love the seat on the Z/KFX!!!

these are my pluses and minuses to the Z/KFX/DVX.

4TraxRider
03-10-2004, 10:22 AM
Stock for stock, I'd perfer an EX. The lower ride height, and ease of maintenace make it the perfect machine to leave stock and ride forever. As soon as you start making some mods, I'm sad to say I'd perfer my Z. It responds much better to motor mods than the EX. The only time I'd take a Z over an EX when stock is in the winter, where reverse can become extremely handy.

BlazinOrangeKFX
03-14-2004, 01:52 PM
the suspension on the kfx is a lot better than a 400ex, almost everything about it is because the kfx/z is basically an improvement over the 400ex. Honda could take many componets off of the 450r and put em into a new 400ex that would put a z to shame. But the question is, will they?

Syrus
03-20-2004, 12:04 PM
Im guessing the EX line will prolly stop, and Honda will start making 4-stroke R's from here on, i dont think they will add much more to the EX's, the R's will dominate and soon will be the no#1 choice for most quad buyer's.

cameron3395
03-21-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by batgeek
correctly gusset the frame on the Z/KFX/DVX and it'll do anything you want it to.

the motor is strong and with mods can be devestating.

stock suspension SUCKS!

plastics are iffy, KFX plastics are the worst(it discolors very easy) though i haven't had any experience with the DVX stuff.

stock chain adjustment on the Z/KFX SUCKS. haven't had any experience with the DVX, but i heard it was alot simpler.

lots of wiring, wish it was as simple as a 400EX.

stock CDI sucks.

reverse is a nice bonus, though not necessary.

Z/KFX/DVX ride high, but you get used to it. or you change it(suspension).

i love the seat on the Z/KFX!!!

these are my pluses and minuses to the Z/KFX/DVX.
What do u mean by gusset the frame?

YamaWarr0121
03-21-2004, 11:26 AM
he means to add little pieces of metal trianglular pieces welded onto teh weak spots on the frame. this adds a lot of support to thoese weaker spots that could crack and break.

JDiablo
04-04-2004, 08:33 PM
so no pictures so far?and from what i heard yes gussest (sp?)your frame

TRFOXX
04-05-2004, 10:29 AM
I have a late model 03 and I havent had any problems with my frame no chipping of paint or anything! Where can you get the bolt on gusset for the frame at? I dont have any problems with it but i guess i should buy the bolt on just in case. Im not going to have it powdercoated anytime soon so thats why i want to go with the bolt on. Anyone know where i can pick one up at?

shagy
04-07-2004, 01:16 AM
ive never heard of a bolt on gusset and i think it would be a rip off, only heard of weld on gussets, you can get car paint from autozone thats the same as the frame

TRFOXX
04-07-2004, 10:05 AM
I guess that there is some sort of bolt on brace that you can buy to keep your frame from cracking. Anyone know where you can get these at?

Quadzzuki
04-07-2004, 05:27 PM
just wondering what are the pro's and con's of this bike etc,and can you post some pictures to

The Z is a great quad for trails in stock form as long as you get a good skidplate. For MX it sets a little high, but with ZPS shocks it sits at a nice height. Reverse and electric start are a really nice plus. Power wise it has plenty for woods but it could use a few more ponies when it comes to racing all the new 450's. I got mine in May '02 and havent cracked the frame yet but I do have flaked paint even with my TCS shocks. I think having the good shocks really saved my frame. I recently added the Arens frame brace before I started racing it. I bought mine from a guy online but I have seen them listed in ads in ATVSport.

http://forums.atvconnection.com/i/GalleryImages/23569/zpics%20008ss.JPG

JDiablo
04-17-2004, 09:19 PM
nice ride quadz:eek2:

alberndt
04-18-2004, 12:09 AM
Listen up all KFX/Z-400 owners-
My buddie just broke the frame completely off from the shock towers down last week. He was jumping a very small double, not a 100' gap or anything crazy. The tubes (4) broke and not the welds. Hmmmm....poor materials and craftsmenship????? The machine is only one year old and the dealer and Kawasaki themselves told him tough luck and no warranty or discounts or anything. So beware of weak frames because someone could be seriously injured. I'M SO GLAD I OWN A HONDA!

JDiablo
04-18-2004, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by alberndt
Listen up all KFX/Z-400 owners-
My buddie just broke the frame completely off from the shock towers down last week. He was jumping a very small double, not a 100' gap or anything crazy. The tubes (4) broke and not the welds. Hmmmm....poor materials and craftsmenship????? The machine is only one year old and the dealer and Kawasaki themselves told him tough luck and no warranty or discounts or anything. So beware of weak frames because someone could be seriously injured. I'M SO GLAD I OWN A HONDA!

man that sux...and those stupid dealers don't want nothing to do with it either....what is he going to do?>but a stock frame and gusset it,or fix that one,or buy a aftermarket one?

alberndt
04-18-2004, 09:33 AM
Believe it or not we are going to fix the frame because of money issues. We are going to sleeve the tubes that broke and then install a gusset kit (which I told him to do six months ago) and then off to the powdercoater.

JDiablo
04-18-2004, 09:46 AM
yea?thats koo...i'm sure it will take some work,but it will be good