PDA

View Full Version : Settle this please............

RIDER11X
03-04-2004, 10:48 AM
A friend of mine is doing his cam mod on his YFZ450 this weekend and he claims that he will need to rejet the carb after doing just a cam mod using the stock cams. I don't feel that there will be any jetting changes due to the fact that the cam mod is using the same cam timed differently. Also I can't see any reasons for a mixture change.
Has anyone done the cam mod that can shed some light on this subject? Thanks!:cool:

Maxx_Action
03-04-2004, 11:20 AM
Yo 11,

the general concensus is that he WOULD have to rejet. IT tends to shift the power upward a little, and makes it breathe better on top, therefore a somewhat richer mixture is in order. I aint no genius, but that is what everyone else thinks...

Maxx

jarsong
03-04-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by RIDER11X
A friend of mine is doing his cam mod on his YFZ450 this weekend and he claims that he will need to rejet the carb after doing just a cam mod using the stock cams. I don't feel that there will be any jetting changes due to the fact that the cam mod is using the same cam timed differently. Also I can't see any reasons for a mixture change.
Has anyone done the cam mod that can shed some light on this subject? Thanks!:cool:

Sorry, He'll need to rejet if he has the stock jetting. He should anyway though cam mod or not......
jarsong

EvilJester400EX
03-04-2004, 03:24 PM
YFZ jetting from the factory = :(

Crazy Honda
03-04-2004, 10:23 PM
:blah:

RIDER11X
03-04-2004, 11:23 PM
My quote from Crazy Honda's sig:

Well he added a LRD pipe, and now it's over. That #$%^&%@ quad is a screamer and sadly toasts my 400ex. My glory binge is over!

That is my words pre Cannondale ride. You had better do all you can do to beat that Dale.:blah: :D

On the jetting subject: What is the reasoning behind this? The timing is all that is changing, correct? If the mixture is good before the mod, what makes the difference? Not disagreeing...........just trying to understand the big picture.:confused:

Maxx_Action
03-05-2004, 05:56 AM
Hey....

look at these graphs. http://www.gtthunder.com/YFZ450.html
I am not sure, but from what my limited brain can understand, the Cam mod makes the motor "hungrier". IT likes to eat more, and breathes better with the cam mod, therefore, from what I am told, more jet is required.

Maxx