PDA

View Full Version : Piggyback ignition???

Smokin 440
03-04-2004, 07:35 AM
I just put my new 440 motor in and because of its especially hot cam i need my high rev rev box to work, but with it in it wont start at all and with the stock box it fires right up, but im always pinging the limiter. Somewhere on here i saw someone that said they piggybacked thier high rev and stock ignitions together so it would start fine, so i did a search and found nothing, so could anyone help me? or does anyone know what wires in the ignition are for what? if anyone could help that would be great, thanks :)

knelson
03-09-2004, 11:11 AM
I had the same problem with my bike with the wb ignition so I zip tied the stock ignition to my frame rail and have to crank it with it and once it warms up I then can switch the boxes and dont have any problems.

airheadedduner
03-09-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Smokin 440
I just put my new 440 motor in and because of its especially hot cam i need my high rev rev box to work, but with it in it wont start at all and with the stock box it fires right up, but im always pinging the limiter. Somewhere on here i saw someone that said they piggybacked thier high rev and stock ignitions together so it would start fine, so i did a search and found nothing, so could anyone help me? or does anyone know what wires in the ignition are for what? if anyone could help that would be great, thanks :)
You may need new starter brushes. Even with a full charge on your battery if the brushes are worn the starter won't turn over fast enough to fire the aftermarket CDI. I just put starter brushes in mine and it fires right up. I would go ahead and buy a set, They are about $15, and if you don't need them you got spares. Just watche the brushbase plate. There is a left and a right version, you need to check to see if there is a L or R stamped in your base plate before buying one.

Smokin 440
03-09-2004, 02:56 PM
I would probably say its not the brushes, b/c the box had been ran on this motor already, but my battery sat too long and lost charge, im just going to get a bigger battery