PDA

View Full Version : +4 swing arm questions

EX_Junkie
03-03-2004, 09:32 PM
Ok heres the deal. I'm thinking of going to a +4 swingarm and a few things are going through my head.

FIrst off i'm wanting to do this because i was told it would help keep the front end down when climbing hills. I've hit a couple that were completely vertical and and it makes your ***** pucker up when the front end gets real light. So will it help this.

Second a friend of mine had his stock swingarm extended 4 inches at a local welding shop. Is this safe? His was done on a banshee and he's had it like that for about 5 years and never had a problem. The shop does have experience doing it. They do alot of street bikes. And for $100 it's friggin cheap.

Also if i either save the money for an aftermarket swingarm or have the stocker extended will i still be able to get it up on the back tires for some wheelies.

Oh and does anyone with a plus 4 swingarm know what the chain length is?

EX_Junkie
03-04-2004, 04:04 PM
bump bump:D

wilkin250r
03-04-2004, 04:15 PM
+4 inches is a huge jump. Most experts reccomend a +1 1/4 inch for best hook-up, keep the front wheels down, and still be ridable. If you extend the swingarm too far, you increase your turning radius and it makes it very difficult to slide your rear tires through the corners.

To give you an extreme example, look at a small compact car, like a honda civic, compared to a school bus. Obviously, the school bus can't maneuver as well as the Accord because it is so much longer.

The only time I would reccomend a +4 swingarm is if you had at least 75HP doing drag races, to keep the front end down.

As for the welding shop, it's your call. Personally, I wouldn't trust it for jumping, but it's probably ok for casual riding or sand dunes.

ghak99
03-04-2004, 05:39 PM
I would not go +4 for normal riding, MX racing, XC racing or TT!

So basically the only thing I would use it for is strictly hill climbing or drag racing, if needed!

If you are into hill climbing competitions(Sp), you might want to check the length limit for your quad before they throw you into the open class.

muff
03-04-2004, 05:59 PM
You are also in a different situation than your buddy is in the fact that your swingarm is aluminum. Much more difficult to weld and more susceptable to breakage. My advice would be to find a nice aftermarket +2 swingarm.

crap-banshee32
03-04-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
+4 inches is a huge jump. Most experts reccomend a +1 1/4 inch for best hook-up, keep the front wheels down, and still be ridable. If you extend the swingarm too far, you increase your turning radius and it makes it very difficult to slide your rear tires through the corners.

To give you an extreme example, look at a small compact car, like a honda civic, compared to a school bus. Obviously, the school bus can't maneuver as well as the Accord because it is so much longer.

The only time I would reccomend a +4 swingarm is if you had at least 75HP doing drag races, to keep the front end down.

As for the welding shop, it's your call. Personally, I wouldn't trust it for jumping, but it's probably ok for casual riding or sand dunes.

make up your mind....u comparing the bus to a civic....or an accord...heheh

that is a good analogy though.....id go with a +2 at max...unless u are using it for just drag racing or just hill climbing

Nick

EX_Junkie
03-04-2004, 07:56 PM
Well honestly i trust u guys more than him.

I don't do any hill climbing competitions and i sure don't have 75hp. What u think about +2 extension?

Wouldn't that put me at the same overall bike lenght as a 250r?

Juggalo
03-04-2004, 10:37 PM
it will be slightly longer than a stock 250r. i belive a 250r is something like +1 1/4 over the stock 400ex.