PDA

View Full Version : Carb Question

dtycoon
03-03-2004, 09:19 PM
Hello!!!
I am new to this forum and want start by saying hi. Now on to business. I have owned 3 warriors up to this point and recently bought my first 400ex. Year is 2000. I must say the 400ex is a great bike and the power is incredible. If I had known what I was missing I would have bought one long ago. I run without the airbox lid, a k&n filter, and a dynojet kit at about 4200 ft above sea level. I have lots of experience jetting carbs and fine tuning my machines usually without any problems. With the 400ex however, the damn thing doesn't like to start in the cold weather 35 degrees or so. From what I've read this seems to be a common problem with this bike. I removed the choke, and installed a 42 pilot jet as well as a valve adjustment. This helped a bit, but still doesn't like to start easy. I am convinced the stock carb Honda uses on the 400ex is garbage. Here is my question: If I buy a better carb, such as a FCR or Edelbrock, does this help the starting issues or is it a common problem with the engine regardless of which carb I use. I just want it to start easy. Your input is appreciated. Thanks.

---Jason
2000 400ex
1999 Kawasaki Prairie 300(wifes)
1992 Suzuki LT80(kids)

H440exconfused
03-03-2004, 09:30 PM
Well I have an FCR and live in michigan, cold weather here to, and it doesnt start here either, I am conviced it is only the battery doesnt have enough power to crank it fast enough, if you charge it and take it off the charger it will start right away the first time, and if you try and pop start it in second gear the second you pop the clutch it is running. and when its warmed up it starts every time. Just my .02