PDA

View Full Version : Dies instantly

H440exconfused
03-03-2004, 08:44 PM
You can read my mods to see what i have, kind of strange to me, The motor runs great, idles fine, has awsome mid range and top end, but while the engine is idleing in neutral and you just hit the trottle to WOT really fast the engine instantly dies. Its such a hesitation the engine just shuts off. if its above idle it is great.

My idle is not set low either.

Any suggestions, thanks Mike.

Toadz400
03-03-2004, 08:46 PM
What's your jetting set at? Might be too rich.

Aceman
03-03-2004, 08:55 PM
Make sure your jetting is correct. If it still cuts out then I would say your accelerator pump is shot. You will need to tear the carburator apart and check the accelerator pump out. Also blow the whole carburator out with air and carb cleaner. You can purchase individual parts for your carb through servicehonda.com.

H440exconfused
03-03-2004, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
What's your jetting set at? Might be too rich.

I thought of that , but it starts to die when you are pushing the trottle to WOT really fast, and its already stalling out befor it even gets to half throttle on its wat to WOT, think to rich on the needle maybe?

By the way the screw on the bottome of the FCR carb in the front of the bowl is a fuel screw not an air screw right????

H440exconfused
03-03-2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Aceman
Make sure your jetting is correct. If it still cuts out then I would say your accelerator pump is shot. You will need to tear the carburator apart and check the accelerator pump out. Also blow the whole carburator out with air and carb cleaner. You can purchase individual parts for your carb through servicehonda.com.

Guess i dont know a whole lot about carbs other than jetting, and needle adjustments, i didnt know my FCR had an accellerator pump.

Aceman
03-03-2004, 09:07 PM
I'm not positive it has an accelerator pump but most carbs do. The accelerator pump is what squirts fuel in your intake when you gun the engine quickly. So the symptoms you describe are perfect for a malfunctioning accelerator pump.

H440exconfused
03-03-2004, 09:13 PM
Ok Please help now, do I have an accelerator pump in an FCR 39mm carb, and if so, what do I need to do to repair this if it is bad, I have had it appart sveral times for cleaning, jetting, and needle adjustment.

H440exconfused
03-03-2004, 09:24 PM
bump

Ehsan
03-03-2004, 10:02 PM
this is a way you can tell if your pump is working.
remove carb but leave the gas tank hose connected to the carb.
hold your carb at normal operating angle w/ the the side that enters the engine carb boot away from youself and your eyes
and pump the throttle. gas should shoot out in a small stream like a squirt gun. if this happens then it's probley not your pump.

This is a few helpers on how jetting works

Idle and top end determined by the main jet not needle
1/4 throttle to 3/4 determined buy needle size and taper but mostley where the needle clip is at on the needle.
but if you said it runs fine, just idles bad most likley it too rich of a main jet come down one size at a time until your idle is back too normal then make sure you not runnin to lean buy checking your spark plug . after putting a new plug in do a full throttle plug chop and check the color of the porcelen part of your plug
white too lean
black too rich
caramell just right

JD400exrider
03-03-2004, 10:03 PM
If you are at idle and warmed up and you bury the throttle to wide open and it stalls right away you are pouring a chit load of gas in it real quick with the FCR. I have FCR 39 fairly new and it does the same thing. There has been threads on this in the past. I don't think any thing is wrong. Now if your riding it and you stab it and it cuts out or dies then there is a problem. I can give a little bit of gas off idle and stab and it is fine or rev up and its fine. I had a slight hesitation when getting on it and an adjustment of the fuel screw seemed to clear that up.

I may be wrong but mine runs good when riding and as rico says putting the hammer down. Might call colby at C&D. I think he might tell ya the same thing.

Good Luck

Ehsan
03-03-2004, 10:10 PM
oh you guys are talkin about an fcr I dont know sh** about those I was talkin about stock
you can probley disregard my reply
sorry for the confusion!!!

NacsMXer
03-03-2004, 10:14 PM
Yep, exactly what JD400exrider said...the FCR has an inherent problem with flooding the engine if you just punch it off idle, if you talk to Curtis Sparks he will tell you the same exact thing. Its simply a very efficient accelerator pump. A while ago when I asked him about this he mentioned the way a 4 stroke quad should be ridden-You should roll into the throttle. This is true, but the problem with your flooding shouldnt become a problem while riding or you are most likely too rich.

H440exconfused
03-03-2004, 10:21 PM
Thanks for all your replies, It runs great while riding, just while in neutral at idle and you slam it to WOT, so I guess its prolly ok, plug is nice and coffe brown, So its prolly ok then, Thanks for all your input.

Mike

Ehsan
03-03-2004, 11:49 PM
nobody listen to what I said about stock carbs in my first reply.
I misread the article I was relaying info from.
What I said is all wrong.

shamisc
03-04-2004, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by H440exconfused
Thanks for all your replies, It runs great while riding, just while in neutral at idle and you slam it to WOT, so I guess its prolly ok, plug is nice and coffe brown, So its prolly ok then, Thanks for all your input.

Mike

Perfectly normal with an FCR. The accel pump shoots more gas in the cylinder than it can burn is why it bogs from idle to wot. You'll get used to it in time and it'll be just like normal to you. You can't really punch it at all, you kinda have to roll in to it like Sparks' said.;)

cals400ex
03-04-2004, 12:52 AM
with just blipping the gas i have the same problem when my bike is warmed up. when it is cold, it won't do it. however, i don't have to go to full throttle, but just nip the throttle. i've had the problem ever since the stage 2 installation. i have heard of many others have this problem also after installing a stage 2 cam. sorry, i don't know much about the fcr's.