PDA

View Full Version : how to make my 250EX faster

red250extreme
03-03-2004, 06:38 PM
I am going to be racing my 250ex this summer wat mods can i make to make it faster?:D :D :D

quadracer511
03-03-2004, 07:04 PM
exhaust, high flow air filter, jet it, big bore kit,prolly lighten it to a point with lots of aluminum parts instead of heavy steal, also wut type of racing u gonna be doin. im up in buffalo new york so depending on where u are we should ride sometime i got a 250ex too u can either pm me or im me on aim my sn is ex250ryder,good luck.

volcom5098
03-03-2004, 07:05 PM
the best mod you can do is sell it and get a 300 or 400 the 250 is to slow(no offence) and with the driveshaft and semi auto tranny it takes away alot of power and the thing is made for the trails not the track

red250extreme
03-03-2004, 07:22 PM
yea i know but i dont got that much money to get somthing new right now:(

UglyMotha™
03-03-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by volcom5098
the best mod you can do is sell it and get a 300 or 400 the 250 is to slow(no offence) and with the driveshaft and semi auto tranny it takes away alot of power and the thing is made for the trails not the track

it's offense, and sometimes people have to work with what they have

brandonpeake
03-04-2004, 09:18 AM
hey man there was 2 great threads on this on about 250x vs 250ex and one of getting more power out of a 250ex a few weeks ago i think like 20 or more replies on each do a search and check it out

ryanh250ex
03-04-2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by red250extreme
I am going to be racing my 250ex this summer wat mods can i make to make it faster?:D :D :D

now that i'm finally building a new quad, i usually say that the best way to go fast is to sell it and buy a bigger machine, but i'm going to play it as if you have no choice but to keep it for the time being, so i will help you out.

from your list of mods, i see that you mention no intake mods. go all out.

remove the snorkel, the airbox lid, the little rubber cap under the airbox (the pinkish one that holds excess fluids), and go with a UNI air filter. dont forget to rejet way up, that's alot of extra airflow.

i have heard of people bolting on 300ex carbs as well. if you can get one for cheap, get it. once again, make sure you are jetted properly if you go this route.

if you dont mind not having a rebuildable cylinder, you can always go the route of the Powroll 249cc kit. supposed to be a 25% power increase. the few people that have done it on here love it.

you can always get yourself a web cam. havent heard too much about it , though.

perhaps you can try to have your cylinder head ported and polished. make sure you find someone experienced to do it, though.porting is not for the inexperienced or for the faint of heart.

it would also help if you bought better suspension. Works and i believe Elka make shocks front and rear for it.

let me finish off by saying most of these mods are a waste. you would be better off selling this and buying something else, even something like a blaster.

but hey, it's your money. spend it how you want to, and good luck.

brandonpeake
03-04-2004, 12:49 PM
ok i feel your pain in one way i dont like when everyone says sell it and buy something else but i think for not much more money if any you could get a blaster and be better off, b/c i want my 400 to be faster yeah if i had an extra $3500 layin around id sell ity and get a yfz but i still want the 400 faster

if i was u id get as many of the cheaper mods as i could and some exhaust, i dont think the powroll kit is that much i saw it in dirtwheels but i would not spend too much on it, but i think you can get some nice gains for $500 if u shop around to make it not feel like the 250ex anymore

wilkin250r
03-04-2004, 03:44 PM
Big bore high compression piston: $120

Shop service to bore and hone cylinder: $60

Web Cam: $120

Gaskets and such to rebuild top end: $50

Uni filter $45

So you're looking at nearly $400 for a "basic" power-up kit, and that doesn't include carb mods or major headwork, and now you can probably beat a stock 300EX off the line, but not in top speed. If you want more power, headwork will cost you at least $250.

red250extreme
03-04-2004, 05:34 PM
thanx alot guys,but can u tell me where i can buy it at?

;) :D :) thanx again

volcom5098
03-04-2004, 05:37 PM
go to www.rockymountainatv.com or C&D racing

Dunesurfer
03-04-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by red250extreme
thanx alot guys,but can u tell me where i can buy it at?

;) :D :) thanx again

C&D racing gives a discount to members and they are the site sponsors, Plus Dusty and colby are great. They will hook you up. I know it has been said , but can't you sell it and get a blaster or a 300 ex. It's just not the quad to race:( By the time you put another $400 in it you might could have sold it and bought something better. Either way good luck.

brandonpeake
03-05-2004, 06:41 AM
well i dont know how old u are well i know when i was younger and lived with the rents possibly his dad is like mine was and u cant sell that for a 2 stroke?! i can still hear him but what he dont know about mods didnt hurt him! but thi was my situation my dad thinks anything even an airfilter if u change it and its not falling into pieces u just ruined the quad yeah i know he's an @ss! but what u gonna do about it , mod it while he's not there~!

brandonpeake
03-05-2004, 06:43 AM
yeah id go with c&d for your parts everytime ive talked with them i get a great price and support people/companies that support u , i mean without people like
c&d u might not have a place like exriders.com to get help but i think its powroll who makes the nice powerup kit for the 250ex

JDiablo
03-05-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by brandonpeake
yeah id go with c&d for your parts everytime ive talked with them i get a great price and support people/companies that support u , i mean without people like
c&d u might not have a place like exriders.com to get help but i think its powroll who makes the nice powerup kit for the 250ex

i think the powroll kit you are talking about makes it a true 250ex,thats it,just get a pipe or w/e or mebe buy my 300:devil: