PDA

View Full Version : who has their head ported?

cals400ex
03-03-2004, 06:36 PM
i will be getting my head ported with new valves/springs, etc. i was wondering if one shop would do a higher quality job than another? i was thinking gt thunder but i just wanted to make sure that was a smart choice. of course, i am looking for the best overall power increase in my desired rpm range. i really don't care to send it to sparks for example because of the turn around time. also, i didn't know anything about FDO or even if they ported heads. any suggestions would be great. thanks cal

tbainer
03-03-2004, 07:14 PM
I had my head ported by a local machine shop and they also did a three angle vavle job. I thought that they did a great job on it and it looked really good when I got it back.

JD400exrider
03-03-2004, 07:30 PM
Mike at FDO does port heads. I would give him a call to see what different ways he can set you up. I don't think you can go wrong with GT thunder either. XR's only also does it.

I was in a hurry and I had a local engine / pipe builder do mine. No complaints.

UglyMotha™
03-03-2004, 07:48 PM
colby does an awesome job

K_Fulk
03-03-2004, 09:37 PM
i had a local guy do mine also, that does great work. If i didn't have my guy close I would have taken it to gt thunder.

sandspanker
03-03-2004, 09:44 PM
:rolleyes: Also very easy to do yourself. just cleaned up the casting on mine,runs very good.;)

cals400ex
03-04-2004, 01:04 AM
i figured i would get several different replys. i guess i will call around a bit. i think i may try titanium valves and retainers if i can find them. they are probably a waste, but its nice to know you have them. i just wasn't sure if everyone of these places would give the same performance results or not. i figure if you go to a knowledgable builder, you should be fine.

03-04-2004, 06:18 AM
GT thunder did mine and I'm very pleased with the results and the turn around time was great.