PDA

View Full Version : A-arm mounts!! cracking

04trx450R
03-03-2004, 06:11 PM
Hey all,,, I love my 450 but today, I had it siting straight up on the grab bar for a thourogh cleaning, I notced that my right rear a-arm mount is cracking at the weld, I am bringing it to the dealer over this, as all I have done is ride some decent trails, havent hit anything or abused it at all,,,,,, I dont want to have to replace my frame, Just so you all know,,,,, check the undrside of your quad

kazpr
03-03-2004, 06:15 PM
Thanx for the heads up!!

beak7707
03-03-2004, 06:27 PM
:eek: That sucks i hope thats not a widespread problem!!

Coolguy
03-03-2004, 07:28 PM
Do you have any pics?

hsr
03-03-2004, 08:20 PM
that's not a good sign, hopefully a freak malfunction

psd1
03-04-2004, 05:40 AM
Why dont you want to replace the frame? If Honda pays, who the heck cares as long as your ride is fixed.

Please get some pictures and let us know what the dealer says.

Are you sure you havent hit any big jumps???

I am also curious why you found it necessary to tell people you love your 450R?? What does that have to do with a cracked frame?

250rtone
03-04-2004, 06:21 AM
I call BULL SH*T on this one guys, he said he loves his R, but his sig says "soon 04 trx450r". Hmmm..........:huh

jarsong
03-04-2004, 06:58 AM
Geez, settle down guys.... I mean heck you can still love your bike if something breaks..... I to hope it's just a freek deal....
jarsong

Honda
03-04-2004, 10:09 AM
Probably was a Faulty weld.

I was riding my -R- the other day, I went to sit down and my seat and fenders where completly gone. :confused:

I looked behind me and my entire subframe assembly was laying in the dirt behind me.

Looks like it just broke and fell off? :confused:

Anyway, the dealer told me it was probably nothing and to just bring it in so they could look at it.

;)

Barely legal
03-04-2004, 10:14 AM
Holy crap, your subframe fell off? The welds are breaking? Woooooooowwwwwwww.

Honda
03-04-2004, 10:19 AM
NOooo, not de welds, metal fatigue. Broke couple inches after weld.

I picked it up, try to carry back with me but metal too sharp, cut my self on it. Now I have infection from wounds and missed work too. It really bad!

Lawyer says everything will be fine though! :D

86atc250r
03-04-2004, 10:31 AM
I was at a race this past weekend and in a long straight stretch, my engine fell out and took out the rider behind me.

He was riding a YFZ, so I was really lucky this happened because he was getting ready to outpower and pass me.

After the race I called the dealer and they said there was a recall for this, the frame breaking, the front shocks blowing out, the engine blowing apart, and the quad spontaneously crashing itself.

I still love my Honda but I hope they can fix all this stuff before the next race.....

Honda
03-04-2004, 10:43 AM
LOL!!! Yea, It very Dangerous ATV. I going to be on 20/20 and nightline. They do an article about how dangerous Atv can be, they say even more dangerous than skateboard and icy road with car on it.

They even tell me no wear helmet, not good for ratings. So I didn't, and now I hurt head too.

:D

jmoney45
03-04-2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by 86atc250r
I was at a race this past weekend and in a long straight stretch, my engine fell out and took out the rider behind me.

He was riding a YFZ, so I was really lucky this happened because he was getting ready to outpower and pass me.

After the race I called the dealer and they said there was a recall for this, the frame breaking, the front shocks blowing out, the engine blowing apart, and the quad spontaneously crashing itself.

I still love my Honda but I hope they can fix all this stuff before the next race.....

Hey, was that rider behind you 'Barely Legal'? :D

04trx450R
03-04-2004, 11:41 AM
Well, all I did was try and give everyone a warning, and now its bulls@#t, thats nice,,,, yes my sig. still says soon 450r, sorry I havent changed it, I have had my 450r since feb. 21st. And I started off by saying that I love my 450r, cause I do, I think it is an excellent machine, this is the only problem I have had, and if I can bring it to someone elses attention before it gets worse, then I am helping someone out. I am thinking it probably is just a bad weld, ( as i is the weldthat is cracked) one in a million maybe, but you never know. I will take a picture of it later.

04trx450R
03-04-2004, 03:03 PM
Here is a picture for you. You have to look close but youll see it, on both sides

http://www.villagephotos.com/viewpubimage.asp?id_=8154207

trout
03-04-2004, 03:13 PM
must be me, I dont see the crack??
am I missing something? did you patch it up?
trout

86atc250r
03-04-2004, 03:23 PM
You sure that's a crack or just the edge of the weld...

That's an odd place to break without some weird stress being applied. Just not much force applied in that area normally.

Honda
03-04-2004, 03:27 PM
The frames on the NEw -R- are designed to flex. Are you sure that is not just the paint cracking?

Maybe it is cracked? But for real, what would you be doing to cause it?

trout
03-04-2004, 03:41 PM
im with 86ATC,
that is most definately a weld edge, or paint crack, too much beefcake there to crack.

trout

psd1
03-04-2004, 03:47 PM
Why dont some of you thread jackers look under your quad and tell this guy if it (whatever it is) is there on yours too, instead of being d)cks!

twisted threads
03-04-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by 86atc250r
You sure that's a crack or just the edge of the weld...

That's an odd place to break without some weird stress being applied. Just not much force applied in that area normally.

I agree... that looks like paint that cracked to me... un less you jumped it off a 120 foot jump or something. Im not flaming you 04trx450r ;) I really hope its not a crack in the frame if it is I would think thats its a welding mistake. The winning TRX450r in the Baja didn't have any problems (that I know of) so if your frame is cracked then it is probley a rare thing......HOPEFULLY:eek:

twisted threads
03-04-2004, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by psd1
Why dont some of you thread jackers look under your quad and tell this guy if it (whatever it is) is there on yours too, instead of being d)cks!
I wish I had a new trx450r to look under and tell him what I see!;) :cool:

psd1
03-04-2004, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by twisted threads
I wish I had a new trx450r to look under and tell him what I see!;) :cool:

Me too!

roughrider01
03-04-2004, 04:02 PM
i just looked at mine and mine doesnt look like that. After looking at mine his looks like its just missing some paint like it flaked off or something. When you look at the pics, on one side of the "crack" is one color then on the other its alil bit different shade of silver, mine are all one color. It just looks like some paint came off, but could be a crack cuz mine arent like that.

roughrider01
03-04-2004, 04:07 PM
I didnt notice that he had more then one pic of the mounts. I guess the colors do stay on the same on both sides. Its hard to tells from pictures if its a crack or not, but to me it doesnt look like one.

Motoman440
03-04-2004, 04:14 PM
Are you willing to try and scrape some of the paint off both sides of the potential crack??? I think if you get to the metal then you will be able to tell if it is a real crack or not versus just a paint chip. You could use a Dremel wire brush if ya got one. However, ya gotta mess up that paint a little. :(

Guy400
03-04-2004, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Motoman440
Are you willing to try and scrape some of the paint off both sides of the potential crack??? I think if you get to the metal then you will be able to tell if it is a real crack or not versus just a paint chip. You could use a Dremel wire brush if ya got one. However, ya gotta mess up that paint a little. :( If it is cracked than he'd have to scrape it and weld it anyway so I agree with you. I'd be dying to know if it's a crack (which it doesn't look to be) or just an imperfection in the weld.

psd1
03-04-2004, 04:22 PM
How big is the dude in the red jacket? He makes that TRX look tiny! :eek: :eek:

norrisboat
03-04-2004, 04:27 PM
I agree, it doesnt look like a crack from the pics. You should scrape off some of the paint and check to be sure.

Pappy
03-04-2004, 04:43 PM
that aint no crack....ride the mofo:bandit:

r450rr
03-04-2004, 05:07 PM
I JUST CHECKED MINE .. i have to say it doesnt look like that.. but who knows it might be cracked after all.. good luck, hopefully its just chipped paint

AlaskaSpeed
03-04-2004, 05:29 PM
Nice story, Gabe....I hope you get your quad back together....tough luck....;)

Pro400EXC
03-04-2004, 06:37 PM
This kinda seems like when Catfish says that the Cdale frames break...

I have yet to see a Dale crack a frame,maybe a few hairline cracks in the sub-frame,but never seen any in the frame....

Its just maintinece,check the bolts and everyhting,and you'll be set....

Now about the frame,don't get all scared,how about we just check into this so-called crack a lil more b4 jumping to conclusions,and making the YFZ owners choose soemhting to flame on the Honda about....

By the way,I was racing the GNCC this past weekend when a YFZ flew by me so fast,my rims fell of,so I just rode on hubs, damn Cannondales!!!!:huh

04trx450R
03-04-2004, 06:53 PM
OK, EVERYONE,,,, if you saw it in person,, your right, it may just be the paint, but it is enough to worry me,,,, I am not trying to start somthing for yfz owners to flame about, I was just trying to give a heads up. I also feel that I can still ride it, I am just gonna bring it to the dealer to verify that it is ok, I dont want the a-arm to break off and then they say I hit somethoing, you know? Also, how come it happened to that one mount and not the rest?????And the dude in the red jacket is me, I am only 6'1", but yea that pic does make the quad look very small,,,,,

04trx450R
03-04-2004, 07:00 PM
Also, anyone that looks at the pics, make sure you click on next image,,,,, there are a few nice pics in there

Woodsrider
03-04-2004, 07:04 PM
Sheeesh!:eek2: Tuff crowd tonight. Honestly, if it looks bad enough to you, then take it in and have them check it out. It's still under warranty so it don't cost you nothing but time. Which is well worth it for the piece of mind;)

04trx450R
03-04-2004, 07:07 PM
exactly,,, thank you soggyrider

jarsong
03-04-2004, 08:58 PM
ALso there looks to be some rust starting on your a-arm. If indeed that is a crack you'll start to see a rust line after a while.
Just mointor it and don't do anything to it, like scratch the paint off, to give the dealer something to trash your warranty over.
jarsong

Barely legal
03-05-2004, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by jmoney45
Hey, was that rider behind you 'Barely Legal'? :D

No, the one ahead of him that didn't have his subframe fall off or motor blow out the side. The metal fatigue was from him trying to catch me in the whoops.:blah: