PDA

View Full Version : Tall Gearing Advantages

hsr
03-03-2004, 05:14 PM
I found this on a dirtbike website concerning the crf450r. I think it would be safe to say that the same principles apply to a quad. Maybe the tall gearing does have it's advantages, for MX that is???

"The taller CRF gearing requires a new mindset. Test riders began to glide in and roll the throttle on sooner. The result? Faster lap times, less fatigue and a lot less shifting. Because of the taller gearing several thing happened: (1) We used first gear more than last year. (2) We used fifth gear less than last year. (3) We could still start in second gear, but it carried farther off the line (which was a big plus). (4) We made about 25 percent less shifts per lap than last year. Each gear was longer, which meant that we didn’t have to upshift on most short straights (although we had to carry more speed into turns and berms to avoid downshifting)."

RobRacing
03-03-2004, 05:19 PM
I read that article also. After some track time I did notice that the tall first gear is actually great! They are spot on about being able to pull second gear on the holeshot longer. I think I am going to keep the 14 and see what happens.

oldsandman
03-03-2004, 05:31 PM
If you are coming from a 250r to the 450 I really don't think you will mind the "tall" 1st gear. If you're a 400ex or thumper guy it just seems to feel too high. I know thats how my daughters feel being ex riders vs. me being a 250r rider.

r450rr
03-03-2004, 05:35 PM
the tall first gear is also good for drag racing to.. because most people with yfz's and what have you, where there geared so low they start out in 2nd.. on my 450R i can do great starting out in first..it works real good with drags beleive me:blah: