PDA

View Full Version : Looking For a Pit Bull

Blown 331
03-03-2004, 01:27 PM
Well I'm closing on my house on the 10th and I want to get a Pit Bull. Anyone know where to get one or how much they normally cost. I guess I could check the paper. A friend of mine has a red nose and he suggests not getting one of those. I'm not sure why though, he says their too mean, his seems ok though. Anyone know what is a good breed to get? Any other comments?

jrobbie4499
03-03-2004, 01:49 PM
In colorado they're trying to make pit bulls illegal. Prolly 50% of the dogs i see at the rescue are pitbull and pitbull mixes. I personally don't see why ppl insist on getting pit bulls. Once your dog flips out and gets out of your fence and bites someone and sues you for everything you have your going to wonder why you bought a dog with such a aggressive attitude. Personally i would go with something with a lot less aggression bred into it. I own a jack, boston terrier, and a boxer and the 3 of them are very nice dogs. (Although the jack doesn't like men very much) Are you looking of a dog to protect your home or you want something to go play fetch with or what? There alot better breeds out there better than a pitbull, IMO.

D11NR
03-03-2004, 01:55 PM
Pitts are nice dogs, they just get a bad rap. I have had them and not had a problem. There are no ( bad ) dogs...Just ( bad ) owners
IMO

TCracin440ex
03-03-2004, 02:05 PM
pit bulls are really good dogs ive owned pits from the time i was a kid...none of my pits ever done anything to me...they get a bad rep because people like to get them and fight them...and 1nce they get blood thirsty they will kill anything that walks...i wouldnt suggest a rednose they are ugly...i have a brindle right now, but in the past i have owned blue pits, and other kinds i forgot what they are called...but if u dont abuse them, and raise them right...they will be ya best friend......i love my pits and wont own nothing but a pit....

ReconRider25
03-03-2004, 02:35 PM
i prefer german shepards.:o

03-03-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by ReconRider25
i prefer german shepards.:o

yea cuz you have one..personally..i like springer spanials....nice dog with attitude

thump4863
03-03-2004, 03:52 PM
I have to agree...Pit bulls can be very sweet dogs. The owners are what make them mean. Thats why they have such a bad rap.

JD400exrider
03-03-2004, 07:22 PM
Congrats on the new house. One thing to keep in mind. You may have a hard time getting home owners insurance or keeping insurance if your insurance company / agent knows you have a Pit Bull. Many insurance companies will not insure a home owner if they have one of many dogs that have been known to be aggressive. There is a list of dogs that many of the insurance companies go by. I would aggree that owners make a dog aggressive in most cases. Like it or not there are more pit bull attacks on people or other pets in the news than probably any other dog. I personally think if someone wants to own a pit bull it is his or hers choice. But if you own one you should be required to carry a Million Dollar Insurance Policy. I see no use in these type of dogs. Not hunters, Not Herders. Just a dog that is more often than not fighters. There are to many other dogs out there that make better pets that keep you and others from risk.

I was attacked by one myself a couple years ago. Owner said great dog friendly as ever. Not the case SOB came after me like flys on chit. Luckily I was able to run into their garage and hang by the rafters with the dog hanging off my pants and leg. Took two people to get the dog off me and an hour to get the dog contained and off the property. I did not sue or anything. I was not badly injured. If i was or if one came after my kids you can be dam sure I would kill the dog and go after the dogs owner for the maximum.
If you have kids or have kids as neighbors I would think twice about it. Why put yourself or your assets at such risk for a fricking pit bull. How would you feel if it tore up a child.

Not flaming anyone that has one. Just my .02

trx440
03-03-2004, 08:25 PM
Check out Motor City Pits (http://www.motorcitypits.com/default.html)

Pay special attention to BigBlock. It's the perfect name for that dog.

Dirty Bill looks like a spry old Vet. Wouldn't wanna run into him in a dark alley.

Do a search on American Bulldogs. You'll find some NASTY dogs out there. AmStaffs are GREAT dogs like most terriers. It's a shame there are guys out there who 'roll' their dogs. I have no love for those folks.

IF you want the ultimate in protection and have the room get 4-5 Rhodesian Ridgebacks. They are an African pack dog used to hunt big game. No games with them.

blondie69
03-03-2004, 08:41 PM
I always loved Pitbulls & Dobermen Pinchers. But I would never get one from a pound...because the reason why they are most likley there is because they bit someone or something. I'd get one as a pup and treat it really good so it would be good to ppls. If I had my choice though...I'd get Great Dane, a.k.a "The gental giant". Those dogs are so nice! But so intimidating! The sleek black looking ones a really pretty, and if you get their ears so they stick up. We used to have a bunch. Now we got a yappy *** Jack Russle Terrier that is a ball of energy and muscle and a big friendly Bull Massiff that never hurts anyone unless he see's me getting hurt (1 of my friends and I were play fighting out in my yard and then my Bull Massiff came over and like kept getting in front of me and kept my friend away from me, it was funny haha, but he didn't attack him luckily)

TCracin440ex
03-03-2004, 08:47 PM
jd400ex...i disagree with you...ive owned pits all my life man and none of them has ever attacked anyone or anything....its all in the bloodline...if the owners were smart enuff that bought them to make sure they have papers and so on and check for bad bloodline then these kinds of problems would be elminated...pits are very sweet dogs...like i said...the owners is what gives them the bad names...i think fighting dogs is cruel because the dogs dont know any better....the owners do and they allow it to happen..like i said once they get blood thirsty might as well kill them because they will kill anything that walks

trx440 damn dude that pit big block is huge....even tho hes that big i bet hes a baby tho....my pits looked mean as a rattle snake...but they were so sweet

'03'300ex'er
03-03-2004, 09:12 PM
had a pit bull when i was a kid was the sweetest dog best of all mom couldnt get on to me he would get in between us. but since i now have kids i dont think i would have one. i do have a doberman though and she's great with the kids.
just my $.02

VIC
03-03-2004, 09:20 PM
Pits are good guard dogs lots of people are scared of them. I have had a few ever sice I was small, they are real sweet, playful dogs and are very loyal to its owners. Its the owners that make them agressive, tuff or gentle. Ours have always been great with family mambers and agresive with strangers, which is a good thing. There also very strong probably the strongest dog pound for pound. The dog I have now is a pit mixed with a shar pei, here's a pic
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid105/pef69588b8f568c185415b7ba621d1ceb/f972cd7a.jpg

JD400exrider
03-03-2004, 09:27 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TCracin440ex
[B]jd400ex...i disagree with you...ive owned pits all my life man and none of them has ever attacked anyone or anything....its all in the bloodline...if the owners were smart enuff that bought them to make sure they have papers and so on and check for bad bloodline then these kinds of problems would be elminated...pits are very sweet dogs...like i said...the owners is what gives them the bad names...i think fighting dogs is cruel because the dogs dont know any better....the owners do and they allow it to happen..like i said once they get blood thirsty might as well kill them because they will kill anything that walks

I would aggree with you that bloodlines and also the Owner has allot if not all to do with it. I am sure that the pit bulls that you had and allot of other people that have them for a pet are decent dogs. As with allot of breads of animals there is over breading or in breading that causes problems and the mantality that some owners have when they have these dogs.
Most any dog can be made mean or dangerous with the wrong owner. It just seams allot of these f**** up owners don't care or want the sigma of the meaner the better. The dogs may also be wired a little differently than the average breed which makes them more prone to becoming mean.

TCracin440ex
03-03-2004, 09:34 PM
i jus love my pits....i dunno what it is...i had 1 that slept in the bed with me every nite and he dissapeard october 9th last year and i cried for like 3 or 4 weeks over him...

dirtmomma
03-03-2004, 09:51 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JD400exrider
[B]Congrats on the new house. One thing to keep in mind. You may have a hard time getting home owners insurance or keeping insurance if your insurance company / agent knows you have a Pit Bull. Many insurance companies will not insure a home owner if they have one of many dogs that have been known to be aggressive. There is a list of dogs that many of the insurance companies go by. I would aggree that owners make a dog aggressive in most cases. Like it or not there are more pit bull attacks on people or other pets in the news than probably any other dog. I personally think if someone wants to own a pit bull it is his or hers choice. But if you own one you should be required to carry a Million Dollar Insurance Policy. I see no use in these type of dogs. Not hunters, Not Herders. Just a dog that is more often than not fighters. There are to many other dogs out there that make better pets that keep you and others from risk.

QUOTE]

YEP this is very true I own a Chow(my 2nd one) & my insurance guy said they are on the list along w/ German Shepards,Pits,& others I can't remember. He said he never seen my dog (nice guy) but I have signs posted, Beware of Dog on my gates, my neightbors know he's very protective, & if my son has kids over he is put in a kennel I just wouldn't take a chance w/ him cuz I would hate for him to hurt someone & have to be destroyed!! It is sad how some people turn good dogs into bad ones!!! But keep that in mind since you are a homeowner now!!! We have him for a watch dog when we leave we don't have to worry about someone coming in the yard thats for sure!! He is great w/ my kids but to be onthe safe side they have ALWAYS been taught how to treat him & he protects them well :) Good luck

jonc623
03-03-2004, 09:54 PM
i have two pits a male and female and they are the biggest babies you have ever seen pits are not agressive by nature toward people they are toward other animals if they didnt gow up with them we have ours in the house with kids and a cat and we also take them outside around the deer we raise never any problem they are a little hiper at times but what terrier breed isnt oh and heres my 2 cents 99% of the people who think they are attacked by pits are actually attacked by a breed they think is a pit alot of dogs look close to the pit but are not and as far as insurance companys mine dont care what kind of dog i have but if they have to pay more than 2 claims on any one animal it has to go that even includes my deer which are considered the same as a cow

-=Skot=-
03-03-2004, 11:16 PM
i have friends with pitt's, some of them nice others not so nice but theones that are not so nice have been mistreated. Personally i have a 17 month old American Staffordshire Terrier, she is the kindest dog i've ever had out of about 6. she can be very protective and doesent' like when anyone touches my wife or myself. By day she plays with the kids in the neighbourhood and is very friendly with pretty well everyone including strangers, but as soon as it gets dark outside she is very protective and alert to her surroundings. If you have time and caring to share with a dog i recommend an Amstaff. Oh yeah they are high energy dogs and need daily excercise.

batgeek
03-03-2004, 11:43 PM
the AmStaff is a pit bull bred for temperment...though the gameness of the breed still remains.

great dogs!

i have owned both the American Pit Bull Terrier and the American Staffordshire Terrier.

definitely look into the breeder very carefully when selecting either of theses breeds. the Pit Bull's i have raised were raised to be family dogs, not fighters. very protective and definitely not to mess with :D can't tell ya how many times any of my dogs kept me from getting jumped and beat up.

there is a saying amongst dog breeders. a cur is a cur, doesn't matter how you raise him.

Ohio R
03-04-2004, 05:41 AM
A cur is a dog that isnt game worthy. Nothing more..Has nothing to do with being friendly.. I've always like the storys going around about how pits can lock their jaw..That has to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.. Did you know that a pit bites with more pressure than a great white? When Mike Tyson was in his prime he would punch with almost the same force as pit bitting. Pits dont get a taste for blood then go crazy..IF that was the case they would attack everything the see. If you go far enough back into most dogs past, you will find most of them have some form of terrier in them.. I have raised pits for almost 20 years.. NEVER did any of them try to attack someone.. You just have to raise them correctly.. If anyone REALLY knows pits, I had the last pit from the bloodline Rocca's cherrybomb...

You will need a metal picture for this story..
My one female just had pups, so I brought her upstairs for a break from the pups.. My 4 year old nephew was over. I was in the kitchen and I kept hearing a loud thump, then he would laugh. It went on for a few minutes. I went into the living room to see what he was doing.. He was on his back,(she was standing over him,) holding onto her very full teets. She was pulling him by her teets, and everytime she turned a corner, his head would hit the door casing, making him laugh.. Funniest thing I ever saw..

spincr4hire
03-04-2004, 06:20 AM
you can come get my neighbor's pit. They leave the poor dog tied up out back all day, and it barks constantly. Thug attitude included.:rolleyes:

blackraptor16
03-04-2004, 09:11 AM
Big dogs get a bad rap IMO. When my fiance announced to me we were getting a Rottweiler I freaked out! I had never owned a dog in my life, and I always heard bad stories about Rotties attacking - still do. 2 years later, I would never part with my little Rottie. It's all in how they are raised - I'm guessing the same goes for Pit Bulls.

I would never leave Daisy alone with a kid, just because you never know, but when she is in sight with them, I completely trust her. She knows not to go too far.

Just make sure you introduce your Pit to other breeds and people early. Since day 1 we have always taken Daisy with us to the park, pet stores, etc. just to familiarize her with other animals and people - I believe that has a big impact in her being so accepting and gentle with other people and animals.

She barks whenever someone comes over, but that's just because she's nosy - she wants to know what's going on at all times - she never leaves our side.

That's all - :D

WKY400EX
03-04-2004, 12:39 PM
My family used to breed/raise/train (mostly Dobermans) for years. Advertised in Dog World mag and everything. Anyway, we've had them all. Dobies, Rotties, German Shepards, Beagles, Miniature Schnauzers, Chow-mix, Jack Russells, Miniature Dachshunds. I remember wrestling around with the big dogs twice my size when I was little. Never got hurt. They were just big babies, and wouldn't hurt anyone unless they had to. To be honest, I think by nature, the little dogs have a worse disposition than the big dogs.:p I've seen Pits that have been fought, and they're really laid back. Even around kids.:eek:

I think that Pits are beautiful dogs. I'm planning on getting an American Staffordshire terrier (close relative to the Pit) in a few years. My point? It's all in how you raise them. Get one as a pup and raise it right. When you get an adult dog, you don't know what you're getting. It could be Lassie, or it could be Cujo.

bsb64
03-04-2004, 04:14 PM
I just bought one of these. No homeowner's insurance issues. Plus, its like a Pit Bull on Steroids, LOL.

http://www.northland-bordeaux.com/

batgeek
03-04-2004, 04:18 PM
thats not a pit bull on steriods...thats a mastiff.

this is a pit bull on steroids:

http://www.dogo.org/Photo_Gallery/A003/img001.jpg
Dogo Argentino - Argentine Bulldog

BIGRED400
03-04-2004, 04:44 PM
I've had a bunch of pit's over the years..........no better dog around if you raise em' right ....like a kid.....Had some good name bloodlines too....the thing is if you don't raise em' right...HELL can break loose, a German Shepard has 500-700 PSI , a PIT has 1600-2000 PSI -Pounds per Square inch (JAW PRESSURE), and a PIT won't let go..........Here in FLA. years ago I Hog -Hunted alot and I used to carry a "break-stick" to wedge in between the jaws because they were like vise-grips to get off the hog to tie him up and get him ready for a BBQ:macho :D