PDA

View Full Version : HRC kit self-install

conway400
03-03-2004, 12:48 PM
Before anyone gets testy, forgive me if this is already covered...

Any major issues with installing the cam yourself?

And do you retain the spark arrestor with the new end cap?

Thanks! Mine is supposed to be here the 8th...I will miss my 99 400...

Blown 331
03-03-2004, 01:06 PM
Then new end cap has a spark arrestor and the cam is a peice of cake. I did mine myself with no manual and it's the first unicam I've even seen.

George_ORH
03-03-2004, 01:18 PM
I agree. It was a very simple install and I did it without the manual as well. Just take your time and watch what you do as you take everything apart....

We have pics of the kit if you want to see them..

http://www.offroadhaven.com/pics.htm

Just look for the HRC pics, it will show everything you get and a little of the installation of it..

George
:D

Honda
03-03-2004, 02:02 PM
Um,

You need to have a nice quality torque wrench, the torque values and tightening sequence from the manual.
You also have to have some specialized tools, C-clip pliers and some other stuff.
It is not a hard install, but you need to pay extra attention when doing the cam.

I did mine myself with no manual and it's the first unicam I've even seen.

Not Recommended!

If you want to risk ruining your new -R- then be my guest.

Install is not hard, but if you can't change the headlights on your automobile, you may have several problems trying to do it yourself.

George_ORH
03-03-2004, 02:07 PM
I agree that you need those torque specifications. I take for granted most people who ask these questions are mechanically inclined to some degree. It was still a very simple install.

Blown 331
03-03-2004, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Honda
Um,

You need to have a nice quality torque wrench, the torque values and tightening sequence from the manual.
You also have to have some specialized tools, C-clip pliers and some other stuff.
It is not a hard install, but you need to pay extra attention when doing the cam.

Not Recommended!

If you want to risk ruining your new -R- then be my guest.

Install is not hard, but if you can't change the headlights on your automobile, you may have several problems trying to do it yourself.

Agree, I have 21 ASE certification so I've changed a head light or two. It was a peice of cake for me.

Honda
03-03-2004, 02:28 PM
Yep, Very easy for me also. I wouldn't want to go diving into unfamiliar terratory without that manual though.

One more thing, The Cam Gear and decompressor bolts have a loctite type material coating on the threads. They are kind of hard to get unscrewed, make sure you loosen them first, before you undo anything else. I also indexed all my parts with a sharpie marker so I knew where they lined up once the new cam was in.

I also only removed the bolts to the cam gear, then zip tied the gear and the chain as one piece to the frame rail. that way I could just install the cam and then put the gear back in it's original position.

:D

Make sure your Quad is CLEAN before you start working on it! It will keep the dirt from falling into the motor etc!

Hammer trx450r
03-03-2004, 04:32 PM
thats what i did honda. very good advise for ya