PDA

View Full Version : jet hot ??

EXDUNER127
03-03-2004, 08:22 AM
What can you get out of jet-hot coating my headers on my 400ex, will it keep it cooler to where it helps? the guy at jet-hot said it will in crease your hp from 1-3. because the it will run cooler and he said it will run 60$ coating inside and out , including prep and cleaning. that sounds like a good price if it is worth it. what do you guys think?

03-03-2004, 08:42 AM
I had my pipe coated by HPcoatings and I can't say i recieved a 1-3 HP gain but it looks better, cleans easier, and helps keep temps down so it's worth it to me.

EXDUNER127
03-03-2004, 09:05 AM
hey rico do you have any pics, so i can see what it eill look like?

400exdad
03-03-2004, 10:44 AM
I like my jet hot! It, with the new race stickers, I would say 5hp! :devil: Seriously, I wish I had ground the welds BEFORE I had it coated! Here's mine:

03-03-2004, 10:56 AM
:cool:

Craig02
03-03-2004, 12:05 PM
So they coat everything or everything but the silencer? Also, does anyone have a website of phone numbers of someone who does this? My x-6 is getting a little rusty and that should make it look a lot better.
Thanks

03-03-2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Craig02
So they coat everything or everything but the silencer? Also, does anyone have a website of phone numbers of someone who does this? My x-6 is getting a little rusty and that should make it look a lot better.
Thanks

I only had my header done but they can do both silencer and header. All packing muste be removed from the silencer before you ship it.

www.hpcoatings.com <--- thats who did mine.

cals400ex
03-03-2004, 02:24 PM
i didn't know you had to remove the packing before you shipped it? also, what would you need to do with the curtis sparks emblem on the can that is riveted on the silencer?

JOEX
03-03-2004, 08:49 PM
I heard awhile back that it's not good to coat the inside if the powerbomb because of the 'expansion chamber'. I have one sitting here and was thinking about having it coated.

Can anyone confirm or deny this as fact?

Joe

JOEX
03-03-2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
i didn't know you had to remove the packing before you shipped it? also, what would you need to do with the curtis sparks emblem on the can that is riveted on the silencer?
I drilled out the rivits on my e-series emblem and it had an adhesive backing, it wasn't reusable for me.

Joe

JD400exrider
03-03-2004, 09:50 PM
Joex I did not have the inside of the power bomb done. The expantion chamber I believe is expanded screen. Could clog it. I had the outside done only. Looks good. Like rico said. Easier to clean. It changed a slight color near where it comes out the head. Still silver though.

Word of warning though. They clean it all before coating it. They use these little tiny white balls to blast the old finish off. Like sand blasting but with balls 1/16" dia. When i got my power bomb back there were a Bunch of these gismos stuck inside the header trapped by the expantion screen. :mad: I shook on the header for about an hour if not more to get them out on each end. I got it down to about 5-10 left which would not come out by shaking. I mounted it up. Took my spark screen off and reved it for a while. After three rides I just found another one blowing around against the screen at the silencer. :mad: Make sure you put a note in the box to tell them to cap off the ends before cleaning. It was a big pain in the arse.

Metzroth
02-14-2005, 10:30 PM
i think im bringing a dead thred back but I'm thinkin about getting my HMF header coated. Should I have the silencer coated as well? Who should I have do it? About how much will it cost? What is the best looking coated header you have seen? Pics?

cals400ex
02-16-2005, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Metzroth
i think im bringing a dead thred back but I'm thinkin about getting my HMF header coated. Should I have the silencer coated as well? Who should I have do it? About how much will it cost? What is the best looking coated header you have seen? Pics?

i had my whole thing done, on the outside only. the company i went with said there was no gain by coating the inside with their coating. this coating is much much thicker than a ceramic coating like jet hot, hp coating, calico coating, etc. i went with swain tech. this place works with NASA. it definately isn't the best looking and probably the worst. but it should work the best. this was the only company that said i wouldn't need to recoat the pipe and it has held up great. it comes back white and you need to paint it the color you want it. all the other companies said it would be best to recoat it every 2 years or so. i painted my headers aluminum color and my silencer black. i have had numerous compliments on the pipe. it is more personal opinion. i think i paid $170 or $175 for the external to be coated and that included shipping it back to me. if looks are a major concern, the other companies will serve you better probably. if durability is a concern, i would go with swain tech.

Metzroth
02-17-2005, 12:02 PM
Looks are an issue for me :p. Also I don't mind having the header coated every year or two if it looks nicer and performs better. I think im having just the header inside and out done by jet-hot. It will be $65 + shipping back is what they said. Also.. they said the header coating lasts 5000 hours. I dunno if I will have to recoat or not.
Anyways thanks for the input. -Metzroth