PDA

View Full Version : Grindin Welds

03-04-2002, 01:20 PM
WHATS THE DEAL WITH GRINDING YHT WELDS ON THE HEAD PIPE ON THE 400 EX.:devil

jcv400ex
03-04-2002, 01:43 PM
Just to smooth out the transition from the head to the pipe. I actually removed about a 1/16 of an inch around the entire diameter of the headpipes. Should flow better now.

JustRace
03-04-2002, 01:53 PM
Heres a picture of the welds. I have a big gun head pipe so i just have the stock one sitting around.

Crowdog
03-04-2002, 02:29 PM
I just did this to mine. Took a while to grind it off, but it looks much better. Before the opening was about 7/8" and now it is about 1"
Looks much better.

big-guy
03-04-2002, 02:57 PM
I just did this, and haven't riddin it hard yet
it doesn't seem to have hurt though.

400exdad
03-05-2002, 06:31 AM
I just did mine too. I started to draw the difference and post it here.... Too lazy. :D After I got the pipe off, I saw the weld, but I was supprised the difference it made in the "look" of the hole after I ground on it. I went kind of conservative, in that I wanted to maintain the strength. It went from a diameter of .9 to a hair over 1.0". It really cleaned up nicely with a coarse little sanding drum on a dremel. Get about 4 of them.

Evan
03-05-2002, 10:20 AM
Does this help? Is it worth taking the headpipe off right now or should I wait until I take it off for something else and do it then?

Wheelie
03-05-2002, 02:05 PM
If you don't plan on doing any engine work soon, do it, otherwise wait until you have the engine apart.

I did it to mine and didn't notice much of a difference, if any at all.:confused:

Rejetting is not necessary after doing this mod.

400exdad
03-06-2002, 06:33 AM
I did mine at the same time I did the muffler mods. I rode it in my cove and in my yard a little and I believe I could feel the difference. I have read about some guys even taking the oil tank off to remove the header. Just remove the muffler, remove the lower fender support bolt (in fender) and have someone to hold the fender up out of the way while you slide the header out and forward. You can do the whole thing in an hour to an hour and a half while really taking your time.