PDA

View Full Version : K&N filtercharger

Tigman
03-02-2004, 07:21 PM
I just replaced my stock filter with a K&N filtercharger and was wondering if dust will be a problem and what outerware is? And why didnt anybody tell me I was gonna get all sticky??? LOL

2001400ex
03-02-2004, 07:23 PM
Outerwear is a little mesh slip on cover that goes around your K&N air filter and prevents it from getting wet, and very dusty and dirty and such. Dust won't be a problem unless you run no airbox lid or no air box.

INFANTRY RACING
03-02-2004, 07:58 PM
sell it and buy a foam filter or you'll regret it later

JOEX
03-02-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by 2001400ex
Outerwear is a little mesh slip on cover that goes around your K&N air filter and prevents it from getting wet, and very dusty and dirty and such. Dust won't be a problem unless you run no airbox lid or no air box.
Dust will still get in even with the lid on, I know from experence.;) :)

bpimpdaddy21
03-03-2004, 08:43 AM
I have had the K&N for almost two years now and have seen people flame it left and right sayin it dont work and always lets dust in, well I can say that after two years of K&N and an outerwear, I have never seen a spec of dust on my intake. People also say to keep the K&N clean, WRONG! The dirtier they get, the better they work, up to a point where the dirt is caked on, but for the most part that is how it works, and K&N ha never failed me, Ill always go K&N!

03-03-2004, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by bpimpdaddy21
I have had the K&N for almost two years now and have seen people flame it left and right sayin it dont work and always lets dust in, well I can say that after two years of K&N and an outerwear, I have never seen a spec of dust on my intake. People also say to keep the K&N clean, WRONG! The dirtier they get, the better they work, up to a point where the dirt is caked on, but for the most part that is how it works, and K&N ha never failed me, Ill always go K&N!

100% of K&N complaints are caused from ignorance, lack of maintance, and improper installation.

I've ran K&N filters for 8 years in every condition and not had any problems what so ever.

bpimpdaddy21
03-03-2004, 08:50 AM
Exactly, I have been running them, and altough I said it is better to let them get dirty, I still keep mine very clean. I have an outerwear on the filter, on on the airbox and one on the snorkel. My airbox gets dusty but have never had a spec of dust make it into the intake!! K&N all the way!

EXDuner
03-03-2004, 08:57 AM
I'm with bpimpdaddy21, I have had a K&N on my Tecate for the last 15 years or so never had a problem and don't clean it too often. I also have K&N on my Blazer, Civic, and my 400EX. I run without a lid on the 400EX with an outerwears. When I go places that are really dusty after a few hours of riding my outerwears will get dirty and the bike will start to bog down. At that point I will change the outerwears out for another one. My K&N stays really clean for the most part and I only clean it when it is noticable dirt or sand caked on. I wouldn't worry one bit about getting sand/dust into your engine. :cool:

woprs50
03-03-2004, 10:15 AM
i never buy anything but K&N and probably never will

Tigman
03-03-2004, 02:21 PM
where can I get outerware?

INFANTRY RACING
03-03-2004, 02:21 PM
wow..good for you guys. hope you like dust in your engine cause thats all k&n ever did for me

bpimpdaddy21
03-03-2004, 04:48 PM
Yeah, good for us, we put our air filters on right, and when you put them on right, no dust gets by them, so I don't know how you put yours on, but I never saw a single spec of dust inside my intake tube, and I ride in some pretty dusty stuff in the summer. Just my .02.

JOEX
03-03-2004, 08:43 PM
My K&N is always properly maintained and installed along with an prefilter. The instance that I found dust in the intake boot was after riding in an extremly dusty area. It was very fine dust and i'm not really concerned about it since I very rarely ride in those conditions.

I will still use the K&N but the next time i'm in an extremly dusty area i'll try the UNI filter I have on standby;)

Joe

EXerHonda400
03-03-2004, 08:58 PM
Same here, never had a problem or any complaints by me or anyone else that i know that has one. I run an outerware on mine cuase it is almost always dusty up by me in the summer and needless to say i have only cleaned it once in the 3 years that i have had it on and usually i just blow it out with air, oiled it once and thats it. My intake tube is as sterile as a hospital operating room.

EXDuner
03-03-2004, 09:54 PM
You guys crack me up! LMAO! Maybe in some areas of the world the K&N is just not as good as it is in others. Maybe the dust is finer where INFANTRY RACING lives. I know that here in Utah my K&N filters have worked great for me. Go ahead and give em a try. If you aren't happy they are getting decent money on ebay.:) :) :) Oh-looks like their threads were deleted! Anyway there was a little not so friendly conversation there for a minute! LMAO! I guess filters are a touchy subject.:devil: