PDA

View Full Version : Just installed sparks advance key - Now I have questions/problems! Can you can help?

nikejoe
03-02-2004, 06:54 PM
I just installed a sparks advance key! It was more than expected. I found a tech article from cheetah which helped alot! After alot of cussing I got down to putting the new key in. I tried to slide it in the groove but it would not got. So I used my hammer and tapped it and it would not go. So I hit it a little harder and it went in crooked, so I hit the other side to level it up. I didn't think about it anymore until after I finished everything and was cleaning up. Sparks CHITTY instructions show the key sticking out of the slot more than mine was. So my question is can you put the key too deap into the slot? and if you can what will it do. It seems to run fine, but I can't really ride it to test it! I live in a metro area. Any suggestions would help. Also once I fought the stupid starter back together and had everything done I found a washer on the floor. After I picked it up I realized it was 2 or 3 thin washers stuck together. I am guessing it was some kind of spacer. I have no clue where they went and they are obviously not in there now. Should I tear it all the way back apart ot put these washers back in and raise the key. What do you guys think?

Something that is supposed to be simple always turns into a nightmare for me. To top it off I am going riding down at kentucky this weekend. Let me know your suggestions! :confused:

nikejoe
03-02-2004, 08:17 PM
Anyone have any ideas?:eek2:

cummingetit
03-02-2004, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by nikejoe

Something that is supposed to be simple always turns into a nightmare for me. To top it off I am going riding down at kentucky this weekend. Let me know your suggestions! :confused:

Take more time with your projects (be patient), and be more informed before you start. Thw service manual is your friend.

shamisc
03-02-2004, 08:50 PM
I think those washers are spacers for the starter gears, so yeah, you're gonna have to take it back apart. I don't know about the key unless I see it. Can you take a pic of the key installed and post it or email it to me? Just have some patience grasshoppa, it's not really that hard! I hope I can help ya!;) And to be quiet honest, I would just put the stock back in. I didn't notice a change at all with my Sparks key. Seems like it so much thinner than the stock one it would be easier to shear off. If there is any performance gains, you can't feel them and it's not worth shearing that key! JMO!:rolleyes:

cheetah
03-02-2004, 09:49 PM
The washers are more than likely off of the starter gears. As far as the key goes, you can't really get it in too deep just make sure it level from front to back. This is where you get the front of the key sticking up from the shaft a little. Take your time and think. Even though I wrote that tech article, I still would reccomend a service manual. I tried to cover the install the best I could, but cannot go into the detail the manual does. Good luck and if you have any more questions just ask.

nikejoe
03-03-2004, 09:31 AM
I tore it back apart! Went all the way down to the key. It was in there flush with the taper of the shaft. So it was not level. I popped it up where it needed to be and put it back together. As for the washers. I checked every shaft, and gear and the only placethye matched up to was the back of the starter. The end that faces away from you when you look at it installed. There was one washer, the exact same size and kind. Would that be where the other 3 go? I think everything else is good but just wanted an opinion. They just do not fit any other shafts. But I didn't know why they would have 4 small washers all together??? Just let me know what you think. Thank you guys that have responded so far! I know I need more patience, but I do not hurry through this stuff. I thought it would take about 1- 11/2 hrs to install that, but it took my slow but almost 3 with cleanup and then I had to tear it back apart. Oh well live and learn. Any more suggestions would be appreciated. What do you think about the washers?:p
All 4 on the same shaft?

Thanks again cheetah! Your article is a BIG help! It was plenty detailed, I'm just not too bright!:blah:

brandonpeake
03-03-2004, 09:38 AM
i had no problems with mine
thanks cheetah between him and my service manual it look about 30min and i had 2 bolts that an old owner took off with pliers so i had to use a dremel to cut one of them off and it still only took around 30 min

cheetah
03-03-2004, 09:38 AM
No prob man. As for the washers, it has been awhile since I did that, but it seems like I remember all 4 was on the same shaft because I knocked them off too. I am not 100% on that though and you may want to wait on another reply or do a search and try to find a digram of the starter shaft or something. If I learn anything I'll let you know.

cheetah
03-03-2004, 09:46 AM
Okay I believe these are the washers you are referring to. I had to look back at a starter diagram. If these are them, there are 4 of them and they go on the shaft.

Good luck.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid105/p9d6f3868cad91c52b528891b45ced635/f973d210.jpg

UglyMotha™
03-03-2004, 09:48 AM
shouldn't be, there is no reason that he should have been inside the starter just changin out the woodruff key

try these diagrams and see if anything looks like what you have left over, these are the only things that you should have been in

http://216.37.204.205/Honda_OEM/HondaATV.asp?Type=13&A=74&B=5

http://216.37.204.205/Honda_OEM/HondaATV.asp?Type=13&A=74&B=3

nikejoe
03-03-2004, 09:49 AM
Wow! Thanks ALOT cheetah! Those are the ones! Mystery solved!
Thanks Again! At least I am learning something through all this! This has saved my butt once again! Thanks cheetah! and everyone else who replied!:D

UglyMotha™
03-03-2004, 09:51 AM
why on earth did you have the starter apart :huh :confused:

nikejoe
03-03-2004, 09:54 AM
Yeah I was in the starter. I see that I wouldn't of had to be, but I couldn't get the side case to pop off. SO I took out the starter bolts and everything popped off. Those washers in the diagram are the ones. Thanks guys!

sparky450AR
03-03-2004, 01:26 PM
hey where in KY are you ridin? http://sparky450r.tripod.com/honda450r/

nikejoe
03-03-2004, 06:47 PM
sparky
We are going to LBL in Kentucky. Where is monticello? If you are ever looking for someone to ride with let me know, I live about 5min from the greenwood mall. I live on stop 11 road between 135 and 37. I usually ride with my dad and brother, but they both ride honda utility Ranchers. They live in southern Indiana so I don't really have anyone up here to ride with. Let me know! Also how do you like that R. They are pretty bad ***!!!:p