PDA

View Full Version : Car Battery Upgrade?

KRZ Killa
03-02-2004, 06:46 PM
I have a nice 1989 Ford LTD Crown Victoria. I was going to hook up a few things like neon lights and such and I wanted to put in a new, BIGGER battery. I was thinking 875 CCA. However I am unsure if I am going to need to upgrade my Altenator and Regulator as well. I do not got alot of money and I am trying to find a cheap way out. Can anyone help me out?

Pappy
03-02-2004, 06:51 PM
a stronger cranking battery wont help much. you will need a battery with a higher reserve capacity. typically a deep cycle battery is used in place of the starting battery (deep cycle will work as far as cranking so dont sweat it) the only choice you have is to use a yellow top optima (part# SC34DU) it will fit in the stock battery location.

secondly, depending on the increased demand you may need to upgrade to a high output alternator. the battery should hold you over until you totally homie out your ride

chucked
03-02-2004, 07:01 PM
ricing out an old crown vic eh?

03-02-2004, 07:08 PM
my moms got one...one thing is thats one big *** car

KRZ Killa
03-02-2004, 07:11 PM
How much does a yellow top cost? give or take a few bucks.

Pappy
03-02-2004, 07:29 PM
list is $179 but should be able to be found for around $159.

i think summit racing still caries them, or try your local interstate battery dealer

KRZ Killa
03-02-2004, 07:31 PM
Interstate Batteries huh? I have not had good luck with those. Are they the ones who put out Optamia Batteries?

northeast400
03-02-2004, 08:32 PM
My shop has done many electrical upgrades. Keep in mind Pappy is right, you can up grade the battery but it is only a temp fix. You will need to upgrade the alternator. You can get a better battery, then you will need something to charge it. :)

KRZ Killa
03-02-2004, 08:34 PM
Ok so I got the Yellow Top Battery now how strong of an alternator am I going to need?

crazybuffalo
03-02-2004, 08:52 PM
you should prolly be able to just use the one youve already got on it.imo

wilkin250r
03-03-2004, 10:34 AM
Lights generally don't demand huge power, especially undercar neons. They are generally 35-50W, and I'm betting you have 4 or so? So you've added 200W? Lets overestimate, and say you've added 300W. (and that's a HUGE estimation, I can't imagine you actually adding 300W of lights and accessories)

This 300W, at 12V, is about 25 Amps. My bet says you probably have a 100amp alternator, of which you are probably using only about 60amps without the additional neons. So now you are pulling 85 amps, so you're still ok.

These are all assumptions. If you REALLY want a definitive answer, you need to add the wattage of all your lights to find your accumulated total. Then, you need to find the rating of your alternator. You're only going to get a true answer after you do a bit of research.

KRZ Killa
03-03-2004, 01:36 PM
I have 6 neon tubes that run about 35 Watts each so that is 210 total watts. So thats what, about 17.5 Amps? I got a 85 Amp alternator which uses about 60 amps like you said. So that would be about 77.5 amps used. OK.

Now the problem I am having is I want to put in a 300watt amp to power some old subs. I am worried that I might over power my car by hooking them up. I am also short on cash at the moment so I am doing research on how much money I need to save for this prodject.

MOFO
03-03-2004, 02:08 PM
then you will need to upgrade your alternator....if you dont, when you pull up to a red light, your alternator will be maxed out...not good. The first sign of this is your headlights dimming out when your car is at idle.

I would suggest you get a larger alternator or possible purchase some capacitors to help smooth out the spikes in your system (high demand - ex. when bass really hits hard) The capacitors will not fix the basic problem, but will help cut out the surges on your electrical system.

wilkin250r
03-03-2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by MOFO
The first sign of this is your headlights dimming out when your car is at idle.

Not true. Yes, the lights may dim, but the alternator speed doesn't have anything to do with it, it will happen at idle or at 60mph. In fact, it's more likely to happen with a high-output alternator than the stock one.

For 300W amp AND lighting, a high output stator is a good idea, and a big capacitor is a must. Fortunately, you can now buy them at Wal-Mart. A 1-Farad cap will run you about $75, and is more than enough for a 300W system.

Bean
03-03-2004, 03:18 PM
i need a capacitor for my system in my truck, i got an optima red top in mine, it ran me 120ish , give or take a few bucks, and it works awesome, i left dome lights on all night and it still starts

MOFO
03-03-2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Not true. Yes, the lights may dim, but the alternator speed doesn't have anything to do with it, it will happen at idle or at 60mph. In fact, it's more likely to happen with a high-output alternator than the stock one.

not exactly.... there is a difference between idle and a few hundred RPM's higher. I have seen this with ALL of my vehicles. The difference on a stock system might not be much (only 10-20amps) but if your close to the limits of the output of the alternator, a change in RPM can effect that (speaking from idle to normal driving conditions).

If you look at most alternators with ratings, it will have a range and then note that it depends on the idle. In most cases for a normal alternator the range fluctuates only 10-20 amps.

Another good example of this is to look at a car that uses underdrive pulleys. My buddy had a 96 Mustang GT and installed aftermarket pulleys to reduce the rate in which the accessories where spun, thus saving HP. After he installed these, there was a big difference in his light output which was shown at night via his lights and blowers (AC/heating) when at idle... but when he was driving, the output was normal.

So RPM does effect the output of alternators...and if your at idle, your alternator is not able to produce its max output...in most cases.

northeast400
03-03-2004, 06:34 PM
where in the US are you. if you are in Southern NH or MASS you can come by the shop and I can use a snap-on tester and make this a lot easier

KRZ Killa
03-03-2004, 06:38 PM
I am from Lebanon, NH. Where you located?

MP250r
03-03-2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by chucked
ricing out an old crown vic eh?

thats what i was thinking, he needs a couple of those LED light u[ Fart Cans too. :eek2:

KRZ Killa
03-04-2004, 06:03 AM
I forgot to post this. If you want to take a look at what I am doing, check out :My car (http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/385880)