PDA

View Full Version : Buffing and Polishing my Truck

TCracin440ex
03-02-2004, 06:44 PM
ok i have a question....i drive a 98 chevy silverado z71 ext cab....i took it off roading a while back and managed to get some pretty ruff scratches in it...i was told by many body shops i can get them buffed/compounded out...so instead of paying some 1 i went to sears and bought a craftsman 10'' buffer.....now all i need to know is where i can find the compounds to buff it...ive looked every where and cant find it...can some 1 please direct me in the right direction

pteknique
03-02-2004, 08:24 PM
Well, first off if you haven't buffed before I would not suggest you do so. You might burn through the paint and then it would need a paint job. You'd be better off paying someone that does it for a living. You would end up saving money in the long run. But, if you just have to do it yourself go get your self a white foam waffle pad and some 3m compund. It will be in a black bottle with a grey label. You can buy this stuff where ever you can buy Automotive paint supplys. You will also need a polishing pad which will be a grey waffle pad. And get some polishing glaze. Do not use compound that you can by at Wal-Mart like turttle wax or anything like that. I do that type of work for a living. Good luck with your project.

TCracin440ex
03-02-2004, 08:28 PM
thanks i knew some 1 would know something about it.......ive buffed before....i kno you have got to keep it moving and dont press down on it...let the buffer do the work....

would you happen to know the name of it...and do u think it will take the scratches off my truck? i mean 1k for another paint job just aint 1 of my favorite things to spend money on....

thanks again bro

02Yellow400
03-02-2004, 08:45 PM
yeah i used to detail. The 10" buffer you bought from sears i am guessing is one of those cheap orbital jobs.. You need a nice professional buffer. It may be worth it for you to just pay the 120 or so and have the whole truck done. And if they are real deep they may need to be wet sanded out. good luck. If you have any other questions PM me

crazybuffalo
03-02-2004, 08:49 PM
id be careful about doing it if i never had before like they said and would get some info on it if i thought i needed it. but anyway u can get the stuff at advance autoparts, autozone, auto value, etc.

TCracin440ex
03-02-2004, 08:49 PM
ite ill keep you in mind....yea its 1 of them orbital buffers....i used it 1 time to wax the truck and it looked really good....but that wax shyt dont last long....

dirtmomma
03-02-2004, 08:51 PM
Yep these guys are right, if it is a orbital one it's not gonna work to good, get a Makita or a B&D buffmaster (thats what I have) YES I used to detail, owned a shop for awhile then worked @ 3 different dealerships as thier detailer. :macho Good luck w/ it, BTW what color is your truck??? Black & drk blues show swirl marks EASY be careful ;) nothin worse than drivin down the road & seeing a car someone has buffed & it's full of swirl marks LOL

TCracin440ex
03-02-2004, 08:57 PM
my truck is maroon...sometimes i wish it was white or silver....them 2 colors dont show scratches as bad as darker colors

02Yellow400
03-02-2004, 09:01 PM
Yeah i have a 99z71 lt and its pewter. Hides the scratches really well. Also helps that i used to detail so i can take care of the bad ones

TCracin440ex
03-02-2004, 09:05 PM
i think what im going to do if i cant get the scratches out im going to take it to a local decal shop and im going to have them peel the z71 logo off back of my truck and im going to have them blow it up big enuff to start at the hood of my truck and go to the tail gate it would look bad arse

TCracin440ex
03-02-2004, 09:10 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13487&item=2463905836

i love this truck tho...its my color....and i would give 1 of my lungs for this truck...