PDA

View Full Version : Leo, how about supporting organizations that fight to keep our trails open?

Crowdog
03-04-2002, 11:42 AM
Leo,

First off, great site.

How about supporting the effort to keep our trails open?

I have collected & constructed several banners from organizations that support Public Land for Public Use. Please click here (http://www.crowley-offroad.com/Banner_Exchange.htm) to view the standard sized banners that you can easily add to EXRiders.com. Here is an example banner:

http://www.crowley-offroad.com/ASA_banner.gif

If you have any questions, please email me (crowley9@pacbell.net) .

Jon

Scott
03-04-2002, 12:00 PM
First off, I'm in favor of keeping trails open, and I'm glad that there are organizations fighting for this cause. But I have a couple questions.

Since Leo funds this sight out of his own pocket, what kind of "support" were you referring to? Moral I hope.

As an exriders member, I would HATE to see a bunch of banners start popping up around here wasting space. Has anyone on here ever purchased anything because they saw a banner? Personally, I think baners are like telemarketing, some crazy idea that someone came up with to sell something. Doesn't actually work, but people keep flocking to it like lemmings to a cliff. Has anyone ever bought anything from a telemarketer? Not me.

If these wonderful banners were to show up on this site, would they be contributing finances to support and improve this site, or is it just a search for free advertising?

Not trying to attack you crowdog, I hope it doesn't come across like that.

Crowdog
03-05-2002, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by Scott
First off, I'm in favor of keeping trails open, and I'm glad that there are organizations fighting for this cause. But I have a couple questions.

Since Leo funds this sight out of his own pocket, what kind of "support" were you referring to? Moral I hope.

As an exriders member, I would HATE to see a bunch of banners start popping up around here wasting space. Has anyone on here ever purchased anything because they saw a banner? Personally, I think baners are like telemarketing, some crazy idea that someone came up with to sell something. Doesn't actually work, but people keep flocking to it like lemmings to a cliff. Has anyone ever bought anything from a telemarketer? Not me.

If these wonderful banners were to show up on this site, would they be contributing finances to support and improve this site, or is it just a search for free advertising?

Not trying to attack you crowdog, I hope it doesn't come across like that.

I know that hosting a web site like this takes a lot of time and money. When sites like this continue to grow, the owner usually turns to donations or adds to defray costs. I was hoping that if EXRiders.com was to add banner adds to the site, that Leo could rotate in a few other banners.

I understand what you are saying about telemarketers, but the majority of people with OHV's don't understand the threat of public land closures. The environmental extremist will stop at nothing to eliminate OHV activity on public land. By rotating in a few banners now and then, maybe a few people will click on them and donate to the cause.

We need to band together to help groups like the BlueRibbon Caolition (http://www.sharetrails.org) fight these battles. The opposition gets millions from movie stars, and all we can do is gather $20 here and $50 there.

Most of the organizations of the page I referenced are non-profit. So I don't really understand what you are saying in regards to free advertising. I don't look at it as advertising. I look at it as trail preservation.

If you are not outraged, you're not paying attention......

Jon

Scott
03-05-2002, 07:33 AM
I know that on a couple other forums (bluetraxx, for example) there have been online "petitions" trying to gather signatures or email addresses of places to send letters regarding keeping riding areas open, do you have any information like that? I DO take the time to sign the petitions and send letters voicing my concerns for keeping riding areas open. I would be interested in ay info you have along those lines.

I have ridden in SE Ohio my entire life. Now I have a 3 month old son that I plan to ride with as soon as he is able. I am definitely interested in not only maintaining the existing trail systems available to ohv's but also to expanding the available trail systems. Areas such as the Hatfield McCoy and the Wayne National Forest trail systems should be examples for others to follow.

Crowdog
03-05-2002, 11:21 AM
Scott,

I have a bunch of information regarding OHV access on my web site. Link is below in my signature line.

I would also look into an organization like BlueRibbon Coalition (http://www.sharetrails.org) .
Their focus is "Preserving our Natural Resources for the Public, instead of from the Public." If you go to banner exchange (http://www.crowley-offroad.com/Banner_Exchange.htm) on my site, there are several other organizations that are national.

You might check into these organizations:
Ohio State Recreation Trails Advisory Board
Ohio Valley Trail Riders

If you find anything specific to Ohio, please email me, and I'll add it to the list.

Jon

03-05-2002, 12:00 PM
Here is an idea,

Since the biggest problem with all OHV's is the lack or loss of places to use them why not just put al the links on a links page or even down one side of the home page????

Hey and if it works out they could buy Leo lunch..

Just a thought

Leo
03-17-2002, 07:50 AM
Crowdog,

if you email me the applet from your links page along with the needed images, I'll add it to the links page.

Leo

Crowdog
03-18-2002, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Leo
Crowdog,

if you email me the applet from your links page along with the needed images, I'll add it to the links page.

Leo

Leo,

I will package it all up for you. That is going to be a big email with lots of attachments...

You can save them from my website if you would rather.
http://www.crowley-offroad.com/Banner_Exchange.htm

I will send the email either way.

Jon

Leo
03-18-2002, 04:19 PM
I'll admit to knowing absolutely nothing about java applet's..

Can I save the applet directly off your page..? I don't really have the room to add all the individual banners, but I'd be happy to add the little applet that rotates through them.

Leo

Crowdog
03-18-2002, 04:37 PM
I don't really know anything about applets either. Pretty easy as long as you can edit your HTML and put it in the right place.

I will update the HTML tonight so that all banners are included.

Please let me know if I can help. Thanks for your support!

Jon