PDA

View Full Version : Leaded or Unleaded?

y2k400ex
03-02-2004, 03:47 PM
Alright,
my local sunoco that has unleaded GT100 there pump is broke and the dont know when it will be fixed......:mad:

Would it hurt to run leaded race fuel in my motor? :confused:

sparky450AR
03-02-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by y2k400ex
Alright,
my local sunoco that has unleaded GT100 there pump is broke and the dont know when it will be fixed......:mad:

no, it wont hurt your motor.....the only reason they got rid of leaded fuel is because it harmed the enviroment.....pro fab told me to run leaded 116 octane in my 416 ported polished.....

y2k400ex
03-02-2004, 07:36 PM
what compresion are you running?

Smokin 440
03-02-2004, 07:40 PM
From ur list i would say you could get by with 93 and possibly just jet up a lil if ur jetted for 100 octane

INFANTRY RACING
03-02-2004, 07:56 PM
you don't need high octane unless your over 11:1.

QuadJunkies
03-03-2004, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by INFANTRY RACING
you don't need high octane unless your over 11:1. Ditto I dont need it and I run 11:1 in mine .. Also if your changing the Curve is when you should consider a high octane as well.....;)

UglyMotha™
03-03-2004, 06:28 AM
i run leaded 112 in my bike

and as for not needing race fuel for 11.1..... compression is not the only deciding factor, i'm only running 11.1 but i have to run a mix of race fuel for cooling purposes :o

xr50layke
03-03-2004, 07:01 AM
so can you run leaded 93 in 11:1? so its only if you go over you have to run a higher octane?

what do you mix to make "race gas" ?

wilkin250r
03-03-2004, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by y2k400ex

No. Lead has two main hazards. The first is health, exposure to lead can lead to health problems. However, as long as you are not sucking on your exhaust pipe, you'll be ok. The second danger is corrosion. Lead will damage catalytic converters and oxygen sensors. Since you don't have either of these on your quad, you are not at risk. In fact, the lead will help lubricate your valves, so you actually get a small benifit from running leaded gas.

Originally posted by xr50layke
what do you mix to make "race gas" ?

You do not "mix" race gas. Do not be fooled by "octane boosters." They are largely ineffective, and can have some nasty side effects. The only time I would suggest using octane boosters is if you have no other alternative, as detonation is far worse than the side effects of the additives.

Race gas comes already pre-made, you can buy it at most motorcycle shops, auto-parts stores, or performance racing shops. It's expensive, usually between $3.50 and $7.00 per gallon, and comes in many different brands and types, depening on your needs.

QuadJunkies
03-03-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
No. Lead has two main hazards. The first is health, exposure to lead can lead to health problems. However, as long as you are not sucking on your exhaust pipe, you'll be ok. The second danger is corrosion. Lead will damage catalytic converters and oxygen sensors. Since you don't have either of these on your quad, you are not at risk. In fact, the lead will help lubricate your valves, so you actually get a small benifit from running leaded gas.

You do not "mix" race gas. Do not be fooled by "octane boosters." They are largely ineffective, and can have some nasty side effects. The only time I would suggest using octane boosters is if you have no other alternative, as detonation is far worse than the side effects of the additives.

Race gas comes already pre-made, you can buy it at most motorcycle shops, auto-parts stores, or performance racing shops. It's expensive, usually between $3.50 and $7.00 per gallon, and comes in many different brands and types, depening on your needs. Actually, we run VP c-12 and mix 60/40 as HPD reccomends for our Predator we have substanially chainged the power curve ,therefore Race fuel is needed also using a 12:5 Comp. Ugly~~~~~ Did you change your power curver at all????? Doesnt running a good oil for modified motors also help it stay cool???? I will prol be buying a few mods to help keep mine running cooler for summer time, we ride quite a bit when the temps get up to 100:eek:

UglyMotha™
03-03-2004, 11:18 AM
if your refering to a aftermarket cdi, no i'm still using stock, i have been considering getting one from gt thunder, i'm goin to talk to rico and get his full opinion on it

oil does aid in cooling, but your not goin to really notice a difference between certain oils really though, but if you want to run the oil at a cooler tempature you can look into a aftermarket cooler such as fst's or a larger oil tank, both of these will aid in keeping the motor cooler

QuadJunkies
03-03-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
if your refering to a aftermarket cdi, no i'm still using stock, i have been considering getting one from gt thunder, i'm goin to talk to rico and get his full opinion on it

oil does aid in cooling, but your not goin to really notice a difference between certain oils really though, but if you want to run the oil at a cooler tempature you can look into a aftermarket cooler such as fst's or a larger oil tank, both of these will aid in keeping the motor cooler yeah an oil cooler was what I was thinking., Does anyone know if Vortex makes a CDI for the 400ex?? I changed my mine last minute with GT's Box, actually he kinda talked me out of it !!!!:huh I dont woods race where alot of WOT is used, but I do ALOT of dune riding in the summer so I would like to try out a Vortex if they make one,that is one impressive CDI!!:eek2: but a TON of $$$

RideRedEX
03-03-2004, 08:02 PM
lead fuel burns more efficient . buy regular gas and put some of the lead additive in it.

JOEX
03-03-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r

Race gas comes already pre-made, you can buy it at most motorcycle shops, auto-parts stores, or performance racing shops. It's expensive, usually between $3.50 and $7.00 per gallon, and comes in many different brands and types, depening on your needs.
I think when people say 'mix race gas' it refers to mixing race gas with regular pump gas. Mainly for cost savings for those that don't need to run straight race gas.

Joe

sandspanker
03-03-2004, 09:36 PM
:) It does not matter what your compression is. If you run race fuel in your bike you will notice a difference on the performance of how your quad runs even stock compression. Run it if you got it. I run my 2stroke gas in mine., unical 76 and redline syn. mix. nice lite tan burn.

cals400ex
03-04-2004, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
yeah an oil cooler was what I was thinking., Does anyone know if Vortex makes a CDI for the 400ex?? I changed my mine last minute with GT's Box, actually he kinda talked me out of it !!!!:huh I dont woods race where alot of WOT is used, but I do ALOT of dune riding in the summer so I would like to try out a Vortex if they make one,that is one impressive CDI!!:eek2: but a TON of $$$

i don't know about the vortex either? also, are you saying someone talked you out of buying the gt thunder box? i was going to get the gt thunder or tc because i was told they both enable your bike to start in the winter months. if these two aren't recommended, i guess i will try something else. i do know i need a rev box pretty quick though.

QuadJunkies
03-04-2004, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by cals400ex
i don't know about the vortex either? also, are you saying someone talked you out of buying the gt thunder box? i was going to get the gt thunder or tc because i was told they both enable your bike to start in the winter months. if these two aren't recommended, i guess i will try something else. i do know i need a rev box pretty quick though. No actually, my ole man talked to the guy over there we were about to order when he actually said we REALLY didint need it I wouldnt mind changing the power curve a bit if possible but he said for my riding a CDI is not worth buying that most people dont even need unless you woods race(as an example) Ive herd nothing but GOOD about there Rev box ;) Im just going to hold off seems like vortex made on for the 04 400ex but only newer models?? I wonder why>?? Also Yoshi I think had one too for newer model......

INFANTRY RACING
03-04-2004, 05:41 AM
is there a difference between 03's and the 04's?

QuadJunkies
03-04-2004, 10:14 AM
is there a difference between 03's and the 04's? I didint think so,but maybe Im wrong?????:huh

UglyMotha™
03-04-2004, 10:42 AM
yah, different graphics that's bout it though

wilkin250r
03-04-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
I think when people say 'mix race gas' it refers to mixing race gas with regular pump gas. Mainly for cost savings for those that don't need to run straight race gas.

Joe

Yes, most people are talking about mixing race gas with pump gas. However, his specific question was "what do you mix to make 'race gas' ?"

My response, obviously, was that you don't "mix to make race gas", you buy it already pre-made, and that octane boosters do not make "race gas".

INFANTRY RACING
03-04-2004, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
I didint think so,but maybe Im wrong?????:huh

your last thread i thought you ment they made one for 04's and newer 400exs. ..i got confuzed:huh

QuadJunkies
03-05-2004, 12:07 AM
your last thread i thought you ment they made one for 04's and newer 400exs . ..i got confuzed:huh LOL..... I read where it said CDI avail. for 04 model, I wonder why they say that if nothing changed????:huh you would think you could use on an 02 model then.......:confused: