PDA

View Full Version : Installing new rings?

Atreyu
03-02-2004, 02:34 PM
What needs to be done and can I do it myself?

Atreyu
03-02-2004, 05:59 PM

2004TRX450R
03-02-2004, 06:52 PM
You need to pull the cylender and hone it and measure it to make sure you don't need a new piston and bore job.

Can you do it yourself?

I don't know. How much do you know about these engines and how mechanically inclined are you? It can be done by the average joe that knows a little about wrenching but if you don't know much of anything about it then take it to someone who knows how to do it right and get it done right the first time rather than screwing it up yourself then paying someone else more to fix it.

Atreyu
03-02-2004, 07:12 PM
Thanks.

wgbanks
03-03-2004, 08:44 AM
Get the manual. If you read through the tear down and install procedures and understand the info, it is not difficult, The manual is the best use of $$ you can make. The boot leg CD versions on eBay are pretty slick. I have a manual from Honda and the CD version. You can print the sections that your working on and take it with you to the bike and not worry about trashing that high dollar manual. All this IMHO.

Doibugu2
03-03-2004, 08:54 AM
It was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be.

Even if you screw something up, it's not going to be $1000 of dollars to fix your mistake. Heck you can pick up a new engine on here for $900.

Get a manual no matter what. You will need it atleast for the torque specs.

Here is what I suggust. Do it in like 3 steps. The valve cover, head, than cylinder.

Read each section once before you start. Then go in and take that apart, with the manual as your guide.

Just go step by step and understand what the manual is telling you. There is no better way to learn then doing it yourself.