PDA

View Full Version : anyone run titanium valves/springs?

cals400ex
03-02-2004, 02:08 PM
i was just wondering if anyone uses titanium springs and valves. i know they don't make much difference and cost more, but i think i want to try them out. what are some top brands to look at? what size valves are recommended? i will be running this on a 11:1 compression 406 or possibly a bigger bore. the head will be ported also. i am thinking about gt thunder for the porting, but i haven't decided yet. i am looking for mid to top end performance where low end power isn't much of a concern. any suggestions would be great.

MIKE400EX
03-02-2004, 03:30 PM
They don't make springs for IC engines out of titanium, it's the retainers (and valves) that are titanium for weight savings. I looked into ti valves last year and couldn't find any that were a direct replacement, even up to 3 mm larger in dia. You can buy custom ones for upwards of $150 ea. On a relatively mild motor like that a 1 or 2 mm OS valve should be plenty. Stock size valves and a GOOD port job will get you 98% there, especially with the stock cdi.

2004TRX450R
03-02-2004, 06:41 PM
Unless you plan to really rev the piss out of it I wouldn't bother. The point of makeing the valve train light is so that you can rev it higher and not float the valves. Titainium also retains heat really well so I wouldn't use it for exhaust valves. That is why the CRFs use Titainium valves in the intake but stainless for exhaust.