PDA

View Full Version : MX setup for a 450r?

trxbill450r
03-02-2004, 01:39 PM
i was planning on racing my trx in next years mx season in District 7. I was wondering if anyone has any recomendations on anything i should do or get for my 450r :huh ??.Thanks

Shocka400ex
03-02-2004, 02:11 PM
I currently race MX and I can tell you a few things you would need to be competative. If you are racing beginer or novice your stock bike could probably get by simply with number plates, nerfs, and a kill switch.
Intermediate to pro on the other hand is different.
Although we would all like to think so, stock will never be as competative as all the YFZ's I have been seeing.
First thing first, it is very important to get that puppy as low, wide and the most travel as possible. Don't forget power! Most of the pro's have long travel extended a-arms with PEP zero preload shocks. I recommend Lonestar but there are a few others. Put on an extended axle and change those rear stock tires to 18'. I recommend Kenda claws or Maxxis Razzors MX. O ya, the front tires should be no bigger than 20' Beed locks are recommended especially with all the power of the 450R. Now I'm not to sure about a specific exhaust yet for the 450R but I was real impressed with the Curtis Sparks system. Sounds Good!! Open up that air box and rejet. The HRC kit has also been popular to bump that power even with the YFZ's with exhaust, cam mod, jetting, open lid.
I would change the stock bars and take off that silly e-brake. You might even want to change the gearing a little lower too. There are many other mods but I hope I gave you an idea about what is expected in pro MX.
Good Luck
Justin

redrizza
03-02-2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by trxbill450r
i was planning on racing my trx in next years mx season in District 7. I was wondering if anyone has any recomendations on anything i should do or get for my 450r :huh ??.Thanks

It depends on the specific rules of the circuit you race. They will probably require you to have nerf bars, tether kill switch, helmet, chest protector, and boots.