PDA

View Full Version : ????rack and pinion steering????

markk
03-02-2004, 11:49 AM
A freind of mine raced dirt track cars a fe years ago, And when we rebuild my quad this winter, he said somthing about Rack and Pinion steering!
That made me start to think!!:confused: So has anyone ever seen any racks for say like a micro midget, do u think they could work on a quad, and if they did would they work??

Id just like to hear some ideas or if u know if it has been done?

wilkin250r
03-02-2004, 12:39 PM
It's absurd. The main advantages of rack and pinion steering is leverage ratio and simplicity. It's the simplest mechanical method to increase the leverage ratio on steering. However, you don't WANT to increase the leverage ratio. You don't want to turn the handlebars all the way around twice just to turn the wheels.

If you reduce the leverage ratio of rack and pinion steering to the needed 1:1 (by increasing the diameter of the pinion gear) you don't have any advantage over a simple pivot and tie-rod setup that you currently have. In fact, since the rack and pinion is more complex, you actually have a disadvantage.

Rack and pinion steering is only useful if you can turn the steering wheel all the way around multiple times. You obviously cannot do that with the handlebars on your ATV.

sly400ex
03-02-2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
It's absurd. The main advantages of rack and pinion steering is leverage ratio and simplicity. It's the simplest mechanical method to increase the leverage ratio on steering. However, you don't WANT to increase the leverage ratio. You don't want to turn the handlebars all the way around twice just to turn the wheels.

If you reduce the leverage ratio of rack and pinion steering to the needed 1:1 (by increasing the diameter of the pinion gear) you don't have any advantage over a simple pivot and tie-rod setup that you currently have. In fact, since the rack and pinion is more complex, you actually have a disadvantage.

Rack and pinion steering is only useful if you can turn the steering wheel all the way around multiple times. You obviously cannot do that with the handlebars on your ATV.

You da' man!:muscle: Seriously though, it's very nice to have someone like you on here, someone that ALWAYS has their thinking cap on!!!:D

wilkin250r
03-02-2004, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by sly400ex
Seriously though, it's very nice to have someone like you on here, someone that ALWAYS has their thinking cap on!!!:D

It comes in really handy with the ladies. I'm always the life of the party :blah: :macho

03-02-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
It comes in really handy with the ladies. I'm always the life of the party :blah: :macho

Do you talk them to death with your wisdom adn then take advantage of them afterward...:D :D

wilkin250r
03-02-2004, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Rico
Do you talk them to death with your wisdom adn then take advantage of them afterward...:D :D

Not to death, that's disgusting. I just bore them to sleep, and then...