PDA

View Full Version : Someone with HRC!!!

330R PowerValve
03-02-2004, 10:57 AM
I just got off the phone with sparks racing and they told me that the HRC kit produced a loss of bottom end power and pulled less than a stock cam? Is this TRUE?

Honda
03-02-2004, 11:02 AM
Sounds like propaganda to me.

I am not sure, just installed mine last night, have not rode it yet.

Blown 331
03-02-2004, 11:09 AM
I've heard other people say the same. Mine seems ok, I like it and I rode it stock and with the HRC kit.

330R PowerValve
03-02-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Blown 331
I've heard other people say the same. Mine seems ok, I like it and I rode it stock and with the HRC kit.

What changes did it make to your bike? Does it pull harder? Did you loose bottom end? How is it in tight woods?

86atc250r
03-02-2004, 11:19 AM
Opening up the exhaust and intake will improve bottom end.

Changing the cam out for a more aggressive grind will reduce bottom end.

The HRC kit was intended to roughly equal out on bottom (by opening up the intake and exh) and give you more thru the mid and top (by running a more aggressive cam).

If you compare everything equally, the stock cam will alway produce more bottom end than the HRC. However, when you compare bone stock to a fully equipped HRC setup, you are not comparing equally.

Making sense?

Blown 331
03-02-2004, 11:20 AM
I didn't run it too hard stock because I was still breaking it in. But I can tell you it pulls the front end up alot easier with the HRC kit. It's awesome in the woods. I didn't notice a loss in bottom end at all. I'd say you loose some bottom end, that's just a trade off you get when going to a bigger cam with pretty much any engine, I didn't notice anything though. And it definetly pulls harder.

Honda
03-02-2004, 11:21 AM
Only thing I can say, It idles like an old Hot Rod!

Lump, lump, lump da lump!

Ain't ridden it yet with the HRC. I ain't skeered either!

:D

330R PowerValve
03-02-2004, 12:35 PM
What about the bottom end power loss???

trout
03-02-2004, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by 86atc250r
Opening up the exhaust and intake will improve bottom end.

Changing the cam out for a more aggressive grind will reduce bottom end.

The HRC kit was intended to roughly equal out on bottom (by opening up the intake and exh) and give you more thru the mid and top (by running a more aggressive cam).

If you compare everything equally, the stock cam will alway produce more bottom end than the HRC. However, when you compare bone stock to a fully equipped HRC setup, you are not comparing equally.

Making sense?

You are probaby making sense, as you usually do.
But I dont follow you and I want to understand, will you take the time to elaborate for me? thanks
Trout

Hammer trx450r
03-02-2004, 01:19 PM
i think it pushes the torque up the rpm range(emphasis on think) so it pulls harder when your up on the gas not when your lugging around so i would say yes it does take away some low end torque

kazpr
03-02-2004, 01:23 PM
330 what did sparks say about the cam and pipe combo they have?? Thanks alot! Heck what did DR and LRD say also?? Thanks :)

Hammer trx450r
03-02-2004, 02:53 PM
ill get slamed for this im sure but it kinda sounds like a chevy V8 when the sound bounces off a building

2004TRX450R
03-02-2004, 07:33 PM
Sounds to me like they are trying to sell their parts. I know from experience that it defineately make more power pretty much through out the entire power range with the HRC kit. I did not notice any loss of bottom end but it does pull a lot harder with the kit in. Ask most any aftermarket manufacturer what they think of the HRC kit then ask them what they think about the other manufacturers and I bet the all give you the same answer. That theirs is the best and works way better than the other guys includeing the HRC kit.

ATVX4
03-25-2004, 09:55 PM
Has anyone installed the kit witout the cam? It seems like it should have alot more bottom end like this. It could make it a good woods bike. Jetting may be a lil fat though. I just got my kit today. Man did Honda choke that motor down!

robman
03-26-2004, 12:37 AM
Just get a Hotcam,stage 1 for bottom or stage 2 for top,cost about 130$.HRC=300$=waste of cash.

2004TRX450R
03-26-2004, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by ATVX4
Has anyone installed the kit witout the cam? It seems like it should have alot more bottom end like this. It could make it a good woods bike. Jetting may be a lil fat though. I just got my kit today. Man did Honda choke that motor down!

The cam makes the kit. There would be no point in buying it if you didn't plan on useing the cam. Besides it has more power everywhere with the cam. I didn't notice any loss at the bottom end with it.

twisted threads
03-26-2004, 04:04 AM
I rode my brothers bike before the HRC kit and after and it makes more bottom, midrange and topend WITH the HRC kit hands down. Stock it wanted to bog down if you didn't ride the cluch now its got some good grunt to it.... I love that bike!

330R PowerValve
03-26-2004, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by twisted threads
I rode my brothers bike before the HRC kit and after and it makes more bottom, midrange and topend WITH the HRC kit hands down. Stock it wanted to bog down if you didn't ride the cluch now its got some good grunt to it.... I love that bike!
You are right the HRC and my sparks pipe and air filter. This thing has smooth strong power all over.

No loss in torque or bottom end. I personally think you can lug it easier. I also have stock gearing.

ATVX4
03-26-2004, 09:53 PM
Ok, For the hell of it, I installed the hrc kit without the cam. The bike ran MUCH better, But didn't pick up any on top. According to the dyno graph in the manual, you shouldn't lose any bottom end with the hrc cam. You guys that posted here confirmed that. So the cam is going in. My question is... Is there any gaskets needed? Also, can someone give me all the torque specs for the cam swap. I have worked on quite a few atv's before, just not this one. Thanks

2004TRX450R
03-27-2004, 12:08 AM
No gaskets needed. I'm not sure of the torque specs without looking them up. You shouldn't need to asjust the valves but make sure to check them to make sure.