PDA

View Full Version : AMB Transponders

seatec
03-02-2004, 09:14 AM
Was anybody aware that at the 6 Hours of ATV America at Caddo Point
they used a transponder system for scoring and rider progress tracking?

The system is developed by AMB and it works like this.
There is a "wire" buried underneath the scanning booth and every quad has a transponder with an unique id on board. Every time the quad passes the loop a signal is sent to the scoring computer.
You can see what lap time and such things.

It's a bit sad that they call this new technology when it has been used for years with remote control race cars. I am frankly baffled that it has taken this long to get to this type of racing since it is such an obvious application for this technology. I only hope that they will expand on this and bury more loops throughout the track so you can actually see where everybody is in almost real time. This is good stuff!!

quadman21
03-02-2004, 11:58 AM
Also, they were used last year in the Virginia Cross Country Series and will be again this year. The transponder system has even been used in marathons to score runners in Europe and America. It's used all over for years and is by no means a "new" system.

longtimeRrider
03-02-2004, 05:53 PM
The AWRCS series also uses transponders. They are running ATV's this year. I'll have to try and remember not to stop at the start finish line now.
:)

holeshot19
03-02-2004, 06:16 PM
when i used to race r/c cars thats what scored the cars