PDA

View Full Version : Wreck!! Quads Fault

markk
03-02-2004, 07:41 AM
This weekend my buddie and i where riding at St. Joe State park in MO. We had kept up a fast pace threw out the most of the day, and a buddie of your just went back to the trailer to fix his flat tire, So we rode a little more.
We where cruzing pretty good threw the trails, and i followed him right threw the whoops, and then about 10 feet after the whoops there was a medium left turn, that was smooth, with NO rocks OR holes. and the next thing i see is his quad flipping, and rolling down the trail with him sliding right beside it!
We stoped and checked him out, then we looked at the quad! Well from the speed where where going i guess its not that bad, but he didnt do anything wronge to make that quad flip the way it did!
We looked at his left front tire/rim and where the hub mounts onto the rim was pushed out 1/2 way around the wheel. with i think caused him to wreck. Which then cost im a new set of bars, grab bar, thumb throttel 1 or two front rims, and two tire rods!!
So we took it to our local dealer where he bought the quad earlier in the week at Holzhaures Pro Motor Sports, In Nashville Illinois, and when we told them what happend they looked at him and called him a LIAR, and asked him what he really jumped, and we replied with nothing!!
My buddie told Holzhaures that the reason that he felt he wrecked was because of the wheel, and the guy replied with the rim can withstand the weight of the whole quad on one tire. (so my ? is why did they make the tires so cheap, my 416ex has landed on one tire many of times and is perfectly fine)
So if anyone else out there has had this problem, with there quad or anything even close post somthing pease post it!

He is calling honda today to check into it a little more!

Blown 331
03-02-2004, 07:56 AM
What kinda of 4-wheeler was it. I bought my 450R and my 400EX from Houlzhaurs. I got their first 450R.

markk
03-02-2004, 08:46 AM
It was a TRX450r, He was #4 on the list, and when we knew that you got yours in, Everyone that we ride with went to Holzhauers to just get a look at one, but we heard u already picked the HOTROD up!

How do u like your TRx450R

2004TRX450R
03-02-2004, 09:11 AM
I'm sorry and I hope I don't offend but that wheel probably bent due to the wreck. Not bent and caused the wreck. I don't buy it either that the Quad wrecked you. It just doesn't happen that way unless there is something else to the story you didn't tell us but they don't just wreck on their own for no reason unless you hit something. By the way you make it sound the bike tumbled pretty good and if it hit the wheel on the side it very well could have bent it. They are made to land on the tire not on the side of the wheel. I'm sorry to hear you buddy wrecked and glad to hear that he was OK but it is thinking like this that caused the 250R to dissapear from the showrooms. Quads DO NOT wreck themselves.

Z-135
03-02-2004, 09:19 AM
I have noticed that when you turn the 450r some time it seam to grab and makes the ATV go sideways. It is hard to explain! I read somewhere that Doug Ikener (sp) had rolled his 450R and he said that it was because the turning radius was to short.

Blown 331
03-02-2004, 09:24 AM
Yeah I was in a hurry to get it. I made the down payment on Dec 10th. The called me at 11 am on Jan 29 and said it was in and it would be ready at 4 pm. So they only had it for 5 hours.
I love the thing, I bought an 03 400EX from them in April and sold it outright for this one. The one thing I didn't like about the 400 was no kick start, now I have it. I also got the HRC kit from them on the day I bought it and I put that in myself. I did the CRF sprocket and now I'm just waiting on a White Brothers full system.
That totally sucks about that rim, I'd be so pissed.

Honda
03-02-2004, 09:53 AM
PlEaAaaassssssse! The Quad Wrecked It's self? LOL!! Man, Must have been some really good stuff you guys smoked!

Sorry Mang! I ain't buyin it! LMAO!

MX#9
03-02-2004, 09:55 AM
A bad rim? Maybe,but the rims are the same part# as the 400ex.

markk
03-02-2004, 10:01 AM
IM not exactly blaming the rim, if that is how it came off as, but he or myself had no clue what caused the bike to tumble like it did! i dont understand it, and probley wont ever know what happend, but i think that that 450r is a great bike, and they will be a few top contenders on the r at the end of this season!!!!!

joe1l
03-02-2004, 10:03 AM
maybe there was too much air in the tire, or not enough...other than that, the tires look identical to what has come on other hondas before!!!

kwatts400
03-02-2004, 11:21 AM
I love this new technology that we have for our quads these days. Gone are the days of rider error, its now turned into quad error, lol.

markk
03-02-2004, 11:31 AM
I dont think that my 400ex wheel has a stainless insert on the lug holes!!! when did they start putting those in the wheels???

86atc250r
03-02-2004, 11:58 AM
It's unfortunate your buddy was on the quad when it spontaneous flipped... Every so often I am thankful I wasn't riding mine when I find it upside down in the garage.

Seriously - Honda has been using those stainless inserts for as long as I can remember --- sometime in the mid 80's

shamisc
03-02-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by markk
I dont think that my 400ex wheel has a stainless insert on the lug holes!!! when did they start putting those in the wheels???
Back in 1986!! They've always had inserts! I think the problem was lack of riding skills. The damage to the wheel was a result of the crash. Your buddy's pretty good gettin y'all to believe the bike wrecked itself!

Hammer trx450r
03-02-2004, 01:26 PM
the problem is the suspension is too soft and its diving too much. Its happened to me twice. It really does feel like its the bike. it wont do it on hard pack only in the fluffy traction stuff. But its only a highside. easily fixed. you guys must fly cause it only happenes when i hammer it hard.

Hammer trx450r
03-02-2004, 01:27 PM
what settings are you shocks on? i'd bet you slowed your rebound up.

kbass24emtp
03-02-2004, 02:20 PM
I'll bet you were on some loose sand and going fast and your friends tire tucked and caused him to flip.

Hammer trx450r
03-02-2004, 02:46 PM
exactly!! low tire pressure maybe

Sportrax10
03-02-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Hammer trx450r
the problem is the suspension is too soft and its diving too much. Its happened to me twice. It really does feel like its the bike. it wont do it on hard pack only in the fluffy traction stuff. But its only a highside. easily fixed. you guys must fly cause it only happenes when i hammer it hard.

How is it easily fixed?

psd1
03-02-2004, 03:54 PM
Well, now we have a problem! I guess folks that race R's wont be able to race tracks with Left hand turns... :D :D :D

Blown 331
03-02-2004, 03:54 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 86atc250r
[B]It's unfortunate your buddy was on the quad when it spontaneous flipped... Every so often I am thankful I wasn't riding mine when I find it upside down in the garage.

LMAO!!!!!

twisted threads
03-02-2004, 03:59 PM
I to think it was rider mistake. I don't know what happened and Im glad to hear that your buddy is OK but I don't think that the quad made him wreck unless the tire fell off. I hope he gets it all taken care of and gets back to riding soon.:cool:

This I the reason that honda quit making quad for 10 years! People go out and jump on quads they shouldn't be riding..Im not flaming just speaking my mind.;)

psd1
03-02-2004, 04:06 PM
I think this guy is a Troll, just trying to stir up bad press for the TRX! You know this would have never happened on a YFZ...:blah:

Hammer trx450r
03-02-2004, 04:27 PM
I think i fixed mine by adding alittle air in the tires and turned up the compression alittle. This hasn't happened to anyone else?

r450rr
03-02-2004, 06:57 PM
whats funny is someone said, that it wrecked because of a to tight turning radius..lmao..lmao.. it doesnt turn sharp at all, matter of fact my ex can turn cirlces around it. shew some people:rolleyes:

2004TRX450R
03-02-2004, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by r450rr
whats funny is someone said, that it wrecked because of a to tight turning radius..lmao..lmao.. it doesnt turn sharp at all, matter of fact my ex can turn cirlces around it. shew some people:rolleyes:

You mean turn circles inside it?:D :D

The tire probably just caught traction when he was cranking on it and it spit him off.

300racer
03-02-2004, 09:09 PM
well I could see it spiting me off if I was cranking on the wheel hard but I din't turn hard I was just moving over about three feet if that it could be suspension I didn't think of that we did mess with it a little be for I went ridding

Barely legal
03-03-2004, 01:07 AM
Get a steering stab so your quad stops "wrecking itself." You caught a rut dude, simple as that.

Hammer trx450r
03-03-2004, 03:54 AM
i feel most of my suspension changes under hard braking(front shocks) and hard slides in tacky dirt(rear shock) try going back to the factory settings and make small adjustments. also set the preload correctly

Z-135
03-03-2004, 08:39 AM
r450rr
I did not say that it was the turning radios! Doug Eichner did! He said that we had fliped this 450r because of the poor turning radios (to short). He also said that it could be fix with a better turning radios. Maybe so that it would turn as good as the 400ex like you stated. If the radios was to short then YOUR 400ex WOULD TURN BETTER!

markk
03-03-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by psd1
I think this guy is a Troll, just trying to stir up bad press for the TRX! You know this would have never happened on a YFZ...:blah:

I know the bottom a-arm would have bent on a YFZ:D

300racer
03-03-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Barely legal
Get a steering stab so your quad stops "wrecking itself." You caught a rut dude, simple as that.

yea that would be simp;e if there was a rut within 60 feet of

Blown 331
03-03-2004, 10:52 AM
All joking aside. You're saying you were hauling *** around a flat, smooth corner and the front wheel collasped causing a roll over?

markk
03-03-2004, 10:59 AM
we just came around a 3rd gear corner, for a 400ex probley 2nd for a 450r, but anyways we went threw mabey 5-8 whoops, right after that corner and then as soon as i got threw then i pushed the 416 right into 4th gear and kept her pined right where he wrecked, and it was actully very smoth and not really any rocks to be seen!!

It could have been driver error, but i seriously dont know just funney that, that is the only thing wronge on the left side of the quad, and there was no dirt marks on the tire!!!

i dont know how to explain it,if u can let me hear it!