PDA

View Full Version : New Cylinder

quadman21
03-02-2004, 06:57 AM
Quick question Guys. I am taking my bike back to stock. I am tired of blowing head gaskets with the 440. I have replaced the cylinder once, installed TC studs, and even red loc-tite the crap out of it. Eventually it always blows. So I am going to take it back to the stock bore with a 10.8 or 11.1. So my question is this, when I buy a stock cylinder, do I have to do any thing to my cylinder before I put a new piston in it? i.e. any prep work other than just doing a normal install? Do stock cylinders come ready to install? Thanks in advance!

Aceman
03-02-2004, 07:42 AM
You have to match the cylinder bore to the piston size. So it all depends on the size of the piston you buy. I think you would be lucky if you bought a piston and it had the exact clearance needed to fit the cylinder. I bet you will end up boring/honing or maybe just honing to get the correct clearances. I could be wrong though. Just my 2 cents.

muff
03-02-2004, 01:05 PM
if you want the best deal go to www.servicehonda.com by far cheaper than thru my local shop even with 20% off!

I put a brand new 11:1 compression weisco piston in it and ran without any problems at all

muff
03-02-2004, 01:07 PM
also if i were you I'd have FDO install some heavy duty studs in it, they arent to much more expensive than stock ones and are definetly tougher

quadman21
03-03-2004, 05:12 AM
Thanks for the response guys But what is the major force behind the blowing of head gaskets? the 11.1 or weak studs? I put in the TC oversized studs and instead of pulling, the studs just loosened up. So I put some red loc-tite on the studs and it didn't last but a few months (until now). I haven't tore it down because i'm so frustrated but I am guessing they have lossened again and thay's why it blew again.:mad: I guess I asked this because if I go back to stock and put in an 11.1, will I continue to have problems?

muff
03-03-2004, 12:46 PM
its because they loosened...the higher compression only adds to the problem, but a stock bore 11:1 comp will be fine as long as the studs stay tight

cummingetit
03-03-2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by quadman21
Thanks for the response guys But what is the major force behind the blowing of head gaskets?

Are you using a high quality calibrated torque wrench?

quadman21
03-04-2004, 06:21 AM
Yes, in fact, I calibrated it here at my work to make sure.

44oEX
03-04-2004, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by muff
also if i were you I'd have FDO install some heavy duty studs in it, they arent to much more expensive than stock ones and are definetly tougher

are you kiding me they want like 70$ for 4 frigin studs and nuts.
I can get some new studs from honda for like 4$ each

quadman21
03-04-2004, 10:03 AM
yeah, I paid $20 a piece for TC studs. They are nice but did not work for me.:grr:

muff
03-04-2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by 44oEX
are you kiding me they want like 70$ for 4 frigin studs and nuts.
I can get some new studs from honda for like 4$ each

yea and have fun replacing those and trying to rig your motor with helicoils and inserts..i know cause I've gone through these problems already. I think $100 for the studs installed isnt a bad choice when it will hold your motor together when it counts

you are right on the cost tho, I thought I remember them being more expensive then that

quadman21
03-04-2004, 02:01 PM
After I had those studs installed, those studs loosened on me. No stripping of the threads, they just loosned up.