PDA

View Full Version : XR650R powered quad or???

Bergy
03-04-2002, 09:19 AM
A very good friend of mine has asked for my advice on this topic so I figured I'd start a topic here and let your minds run wild. Here's the situation. My friend has had a full mod TC National 440 quad, a-arms, TCS shocks, I could go on but I mean everything. Well he's getting older doesn't want to race anymore and sold it. He still has his trail bike, 2000 400ex, stock motor but piped, rejetted, filter, no airbox lid, +2+1 a-arms, long travel works shocks front and rear, Magura Hydraulic clutch, anti-vibe steering stem, Ricky Stator lights, all the bolt on stuff, etc etc. It rides like a Caddy but he wants more power without building an unreliable motor so he's gonna build something. I will start by saying $15,000 on a project quad is ok with him. But where to start, he likes the appeal of the XR650R liquid cooled motor because of the built in lighting coils ( must have headlights, probably some high powered ones) and tons of torque. The aftermarket frames being built thought don't seem to fit the XR650 so much, with the excepetion of Roll Design building a dessert chassis now. So is he better of building a CRF motor and having lighting coils installed somewhere. The CRF makes more power and is lighter correct? Feel free to let your minds go wild.