PDA

View Full Version : wheelie help

shaynecarson
03-01-2004, 06:32 PM
hey guys i have never posted a message or anything so im gonna see if this works...

i just got a 400ex for christmas and its my first quad and im jus trying to get the fundamentals down... i can pop wheelies but not long or anything and i have to stop and give it gas and let out on the clutch quick like and thats the only way i do a wheelie.. is there a different way? or a better way? i pop a wheelie sitting down for like 2 seconds and today i jsut went out and tried it standing up and thats cool too but i still stop and do it and the only other thing i can do is go up on 2 wheels and i can ride that as long as i want... a little help for the newbie? please!

shayne:blah:

shaynecarson
03-01-2004, 06:33 PM
and oh yeah can you guys tell me any other cool tricks to do? and how to do them :devil:

hondafreestyler
03-01-2004, 06:56 PM
practice practice practice ...

its all about seat time ... if your first learned just cruse in 1st ... crank it and pull up ... it'll come up ... trust me

other than that ...
seat time ...
find your back brake ... and love it ...
find your balence point ...
and practice again ...

JDiablo
03-01-2004, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by hondafreestyler
practice practice practice ...

its all about seat time ... if your first learned just cruse in 1st ... crank it and pull up ... it'll come up ... trust me

other than that ...
seat time ...
find your back brake ... and love it ...
find your balence point ...
and practice again ...

yea what he said,and if you get to scared or feel yourself falligbackwards push down on the rear brake and/or pull in the clutch lever,and remeber don't over rev it either,ride hard and have fun

dirtysouth400ex
03-01-2004, 07:11 PM
i kinda have the same problem i jus caint get it to endo how do ya ?? lol

hondafreestyler
03-01-2004, 07:48 PM
you mean u get do stoppies?

the best way to learn IMO is to sit with ur butt on the tank and ur legs over the bars ... get going in 2nd gear .... like low-mid second and just grab a handfull of front brake ... the reason I say low-mid second is just to get the feeling of it ...

its weird when u first learn ... u have to go faster then u think ...

just practice man ... its all in seat time

beak7707
03-01-2004, 09:40 PM
They are all right, seat time is everything. Now you are trying to ride wheelies, but after you ride for a year or more you will be doing them all the time. It all just comes as you get the feel for your bike. I can do things now that i used to think were impossible, now i do them with ease. It will come to you just practice. I think the easiest way to ride a wheelie is to be in 2nd or 3rd and throw it down instead of popping the clutch. When you pop the clutch it just throws you straight up, when you hammer it in a higher gear it pulls you up. When it pulls you to your balance spot you can use throttle to control it and go for as long as you want. Good luck, keep on trying!

shaynecarson
03-01-2004, 09:44 PM
thanks guys your helping alot

at first i thought u guys were gonna make fun of me but your being pretty cool about it

i wish i could go ride right now but its to late school tomarrow

hondafreestyler
03-02-2004, 05:30 PM
lol nah dude we wouldn't make fun of you ...

there are the ocasional dicks on the site that would ... but most of wouldn't ... espesially me bro ... just remember ... we were ALL were u are right now ... I was there before man ... thinking id never wheelie ... if you ever need ANY advice ... just pm me or ask some other guys ...

Myself and the guys will try and help you as much as possible ...

-Mike

shaynecarson
03-02-2004, 05:48 PM
thanks!

hondafreestyler
03-02-2004, 06:10 PM
no promblem bro ...

keep me updated how your doing

EXriderKID00
03-02-2004, 07:21 PM
what helps me is go in sec. very low and gun it and just if u can try n keep shiftin

XxXsupa-flyXxX
03-03-2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by shaynecarson
hey guys i have never posted a message or anything so im gonna see if this works...

i just got a 400ex for christmas and its my first quad and im jus trying to get the fundamentals down... i can pop wheelies but not long or anything and i have to stop and give it gas and let out on the clutch quick like and thats the only way i do a wheelie.. is there a different way? or a better way? i pop a wheelie sitting down for like 2 seconds and today i jsut went out and tried it standing up and thats cool too but i still stop and do it and the only other thing i can do is go up on 2 wheels and i can ride that as long as i want... a little help for the newbie? please!

shayne:blah:

yea im 13 and have the same problem on mi brothers 400ex.. when your on a wheelie do u shift with the clutch?

EXriderKID00
03-03-2004, 08:22 PM
I don't but i think its bad for your gears or somethin...maybe that person was feedin me a like of sh**

400quad
03-03-2004, 08:55 PM
ya make sure to use ur clutch.
the first week i had my used 400 i broke the clutch lifter pin.
for me it cost about 6hours to figure out wtf broke and fix it.(most of that being time i spent figuring out the fundimentals of the engine) but im sure to have it fixed would have cost $180ish. if not more.

make sure to always use ur clutch.

but back to ur Q.
i know how you feel bud, i was there about a month ago when i first started to learn wheelies. what helped me was starting to learn the ballance point of the bike by standing on the grab bar and in 1st gear getting her up easy like. if you go too far back you wont get hurt youll just land on ur feet. when ur coming back down just hold in the clutch and keep ur knees bent and ur elbows too. once you do that a few times you will find out that you need to be quite a bit further back when doing a wheelie than you think. THEN you will start to get confidence to be more open about your learning.

be careful tho, dont get hurt.

XxXsupa-flyXxX
03-04-2004, 04:57 PM
thanx

Raptor4439
03-04-2004, 07:14 PM
Im gonna try to not repeat what everyone else said but I prob will. Wheelieing isn't a hard thing to do, you have to get the feel for your bike and how it feels when you give it gas, if you get over the fear of going over backwards you can ride wheelies for days. The key to holding long wheelies is to bring it back to the point of where you get that feeling that your gonna tip, when you get there you should be close or at your balance point, start out by blipping the gas at that point until you can learn how to keep a steady throttle without coming all the way back and if you do just tap the back brake, don't ram it and lock up the back tires because you'll get shot over the handlebars when your not expecting it. just practice, practice, practice.

Hope I helped :o