PDA

View Full Version : Things on your bike you wont fix?

roostin_dale
03-01-2004, 06:29 PM
Is there anything on your guys bikes that you could fix for like $20 but you just go the cheap way out and leave it? It is an odd question but im curious....

Example:

I will never spend $20 or whatever on number plates...i just cut up carboard boxes and write my number on with a marker......then i will Zip-tie them on to my bumper and grab-bar

hondafox440
03-01-2004, 06:30 PM
My shifter on my dirtbike.

Atreyu
03-01-2004, 06:31 PM
Need a shifter...also need numbers for my plates...and grips...oh well.

wwclea01
03-01-2004, 06:31 PM
Ive needed a new chain for a while, but Im going to rock it until it breaks

stonerider250x
03-01-2004, 06:34 PM
i have been missing a bolt in my gas tank cover for like 2 years if ur talkin bout stuff like that:confused:

Blysster
03-01-2004, 06:37 PM
My throttle cable has been really stiff for 2 years. I just gave in and ordered a new one last week.

It will probably do the same thing in a few months though?!

chucked
03-01-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Blysster
My throttle cable has been really stiff for 2 years. I just gave in and ordered a new one last week.

It will probably do the same thing in a few months though?!
try cable lube, it works awesomely

ReconRider25
03-01-2004, 06:48 PM
my parking brake stopped working the 2nd day i got my 400. i have yet to adjust it.:o

4wheelboy
03-01-2004, 06:50 PM
my exaust bolt lol it fell the bolt striped out 1 day at the track so i used a hose clamp to keep it on. its probaly staying liek that forever. im ashamed:o

roostin_dale
03-01-2004, 07:02 PM
another thing on mine is my oil vent hose popped off i my last race (it wont stay in now)...between motos i just zip-tied it down...i dont feel like spending another $15 for a new one:o :o :o

Berry
03-01-2004, 07:07 PM
well my piston fell out the day i bought it. since then ive had fun rolling it off cliffs, dragging it down the road behind my truck doing 99mph...

lol jk,
bolt come out of my gas tank but i have yet to get a new one, i just use a zip tie. i need new tires. brake pads. rings. i think thats it

Jblazin98
03-01-2004, 07:11 PM
I will never spend $20 or whatever on number plates...i just cut up carboard boxes and write my number on with a marker......then i will Zip-tie them on to my bumper and grab-bar [/B][/QUOTE]

lol:huh :huh :huh....that is pretty freaking ghetto...but a good way to save some money....i cant wait to see where this thread goes...i guess in stead of buyin new handle bars you could just get your moms old broom stick and cut it down and use that...how about if your gripper seat cover gets worn down you can just wrap a whole bunch of duct tape on it upside down your your ***** sticks to it....or how about instead of a helmet you just go to your ghetto in your town and find a "group" of people eatin watermellon and steal it then cut in in half and stick it on your head man you could save like 200 there...-....

Cody_300ex
03-01-2004, 07:14 PM
I snaped one of the bolts that holds on the vavle cover i just tightined my other one up..well it dont leak:p :cool:

Jblazin98
03-01-2004, 07:15 PM
hmmmm....maybe i misunderstood this thread....

yamablaster24
03-01-2004, 07:16 PM
i have been missing a bolt in my exhaust manifold for like 4 months...o well

JDiablo
03-01-2004, 07:18 PM
one of the bolts in the rear brake rotor,or the thing holding the rotor,don't feel like going all the way to my honda place and getting one,one day i will go tho:o

brian-250
03-01-2004, 07:27 PM
i never replace bent bars unless its NESSASARY! i fix them the "wayne tharp" way one foot on the peg one on the frame:macho and pull with all ya got,throtel cover scews to the 400,new grips on both of em,decals need replaced,bolts need put back in,lil things you dont notice till you think about after you close the shop up for lol:cool:

lil400exman
03-01-2004, 07:53 PM
ummm new seat pan grommet and clutch levers cause i always bend them!:mad:

RiPPiNiTuP7
03-01-2004, 07:59 PM
one of my wheels fell off while riding...i never went back for it....i prefer 3 wheelers anyways:o

Bean
03-01-2004, 07:59 PM
i broke my axel nut last year and its ducktaped on, thats the only afro riggin i got on mine

speedy400
03-01-2004, 08:07 PM
yeah my front bearings are going out. I guess I'll replace them sometime. Also I never take my quad to any shop, I always do everything myself, no way in hell I'll spend 50$ an hour on some guy thats not as smart as me on my quad try to figure out the electrical problems I seem to have about every other month.-darren

beak7707
03-01-2004, 08:44 PM
wwclea01 you might want to think different on that chain. On a 250R usually when the chain breaks you will end up replacing the left case. I'd much rather buy a chain then split cases.

kamikaze_rzrbak
03-01-2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by ReconRider25
my parking brake stopped working the 2nd day i got my 400. i have yet to adjust it.:o
same here

user101
03-01-2004, 09:30 PM
i try not to skip out on stuff for my quad.:D

Woodsrider
03-01-2004, 09:45 PM
I don't feel so bad now:o LOL I lost the screw out of my fuel selector knob over a year ago, I figure, the side panel holds the knob on anyway, so I always forget to find a screw at work... to fix it would be free.

My clutch cable needs to be replaced, again I always forget it when Im shopping. $8

My float is fugged up and fuel spills out as fast as I burn it. I finally concieded and am stopping off at the dealer after work tommorow to order a new float, valve, and seat. Maybe if I am lucky, I can remember the other chit too.

Oh and the one thing I will not fix, even if it were free; I have been missing the two rubber grommets that hold the seat tight to the frame in the middle. The seat comes off and goes on easier with out them:D

RobbRacer
03-01-2004, 09:51 PM
has anyone ever noticed how much we use zip ties to hold things together. i wish i was the person that invented that idea.

Ryan
03-01-2004, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Blysster

Damn!!!, I go throw 1 throttle cable a year! Maybe less!

JTRtrx250r
03-02-2004, 03:02 AM
95%er's I tell ya :rolleyes:LOL, just remember that 12 dollar part could be the diffrence of a few hundred, especially the dude thats just gonna wait till his chain breaks,chains aren't that much.. You got an R..,do you have any idea how much to cases cost?:rolleyes: Thats definitly the wrong attitude to have about it

simply amazing...

:huh

I have a torn rear calipar slide-pin boot, I seem to forget about it everytime Im at the shop, I have it rigged w/ a few o-rings, the only good thing about it is, It keeps me up on the maintainance

:o , now if I can just remember about it while Im at the shop:o :( :blah:

ATC Crazy
03-02-2004, 07:39 AM
Those plastic rivets that hold on the fender extensions on the Honda utilities. When one falls out, I just put a zip-tie in the whole where it fell out. Lasts a whole lot longer than those rivets...

Silverfox@C&DRacing
03-02-2004, 09:42 AM
Mine would be my frame it is 2 1/2" off in the front the right side sits out farther. needless to say I can turn really good going to the left it has been this way since 2000 I did not realize it was that bad until 6 months ago.

Word to the wise make sure the wheel bearings are good along with the carrier bearings otherwise there may be some expensive parts to replace.

Moded86R
03-02-2004, 10:54 AM
The front plastic on my 300ex is screwed.I am not spending that much on POS OEM plastic anyway.I have went through 2 set already.IMO honda plastic sucks.My 300ex and 400ex plastic both have went to crap.I can understand if I rolled it and it cracked.ussually when I roll it nothing breaks.It's always when I land front jumps.I have never had a problem with any of the plastic on yamaha's I have had.The front bumper on my 300ex is bent.I doubt it will ever get a new one.I guess I have no choice.Either maier or fullbore.I plan on putting yellow maier race cut on my 250x.I will see how I like it.And go from there.

My 250r needs a new crank.After putting over a grand in new stuff in the motor.Including a new OEM crank.It's gonna be a while before I feel like tearin it completly apart again.

My 400ex needs all new plastic.It's gettin that though.It also needs the screw that holds the petcock knob on.It also needs new back tires pretty badly.I don't neglect my 400.

I used to come home from riding my 300ex and my dad would come downstairs and check it out everytime.I got yelled at like a dog more than once.And I didn't even wreck the POS.I have alot of spite towards that bike because of that.I don't plan on fixing it anytime soon.....

markk
03-02-2004, 11:25 AM
I tried to get stock tires off of the rims and 3 and 1/2 hours later i had four rims sitting on the ground with a cut up hand and two broken screw drivers, my buddie spent 16$ and had his tires removed at a shop!!! PRICELESS!!

chucked
03-02-2004, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by markk
I tried to get stock tires off of the rims and 3 and 1/2 hours later i had four rims sitting on the ground with a cut up hand and two broken screw drivers, my buddie spent 16$ and had his tires removed at a shop!!! PRICELESS!!
been there, done that

redrider69
03-02-2004, 08:07 PM
yea my left tire rod has been needing replaced for about 4 months now i can turn my right tire with out turning the left and last two oil changes i havent got to get a new filter i have to get one soon

TheX1992
03-02-2004, 08:13 PM
my whole plastic assembly is held on by zip ties. does that count? i lost all my bolts :)

Greg Z
03-02-2004, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Atreyu
Need a shifter...also need numbers for my plates

me to :rolleyes: :p

markk
03-03-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by redrider69
yea my left tire rod has been needing replaced for about 4 months now i can turn my right tire with out turning the left and last two oil changes i havent got to get a new filter i have to get one soon

Im not trying to bash or anything but, NOT changing the filter isnt really a SMART thing to do, and tire rod i completly understand!

JTRtrx250r
03-03-2004, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by redrider69
yea my left tire rod has been needing replaced for about 4 months now i can turn my right tire with out turning the left and last two oil changes i havent got to get a new filter i have to get one soon Check your tie-rods ends for looseness, I kept having that prob and it turned out to be b/c of a hammered steering stem bearing..it allows the rod end to bind and loosen the nut every time I turned, I didnt think it was that bad..but that was the deal:o ;)