PDA

View Full Version : new 400ex parts list?

jdibiase05
03-01-2004, 06:27 PM
Hello, I have recently purchased a 400ex.. 2001 it is bone stock except for tires all round. I have been readin these forums for about 2-3 weeks now and i would like to know if my list of parts would be good. And i have ONE question on suspension.

440 Kit. Wiseco
WB e-series full
Dyno jet kit
k & n air filter
Works Suspension.

It's not a very big list currently b/c im not made of money nor do i have ne sponsors. The question for suspension is that i dont really know the difference with or with out reservoirs. I intend to do some mx racing and trail riding around my hills. Could someone explain the difference in them. and which ones are better for my purpose?
Could my list need improvements?
thx
-joe (sorry for the long thread)

Silverfox@C&DRacing
03-01-2004, 06:38 PM
You may want to look into the 416 kit, I am not saying that the 440 is bad in any way the good about the 416 is you have room to go bigger in the future but we do offer a Ross 440 kit that has 3 overbores for the 440.
I would add a cam to the list the High compression piston and a cam will compliment each other very well.

As for ressivors on the shocks they will help cool the shock oil so the shocks won't fade (or feel mushy after a long ride)
I have used the Elka no ressivor and the Elka compression adj ressivor and I liked both I was happy with the ones with out ressivors but I had a chance to upgrade so I jumped on it :D

You are headed in the right direction :)

jdibiase05
03-01-2004, 06:42 PM
wat kinda cam and how much do they usually run ( i have about 2k in my pocket to unleash in this thing... and it cant go above my budget) Thanks for the knowledge

Silverfox@C&DRacing
03-01-2004, 07:04 PM
I have ran the web cam allround grind, I did switch to the Hotcam stg2 and like it better than the webcam. plus there is not a core charge with the hotcam. There are many other cams out there but in my opinion the hotcam is the best bang for the buck for $126.

With the mods that you listed you will be well under the 2k mark if you can do the work yourself besides the bore.

jdibiase05
03-01-2004, 07:06 PM
i'm only 17 i have the tools and im learning by the day. i'll do all the work myself except the sleeve for the kit. Thanks for all your help.

Silverfox@C&DRacing
03-01-2004, 07:13 PM
Not a problem, It is fun tearing into the motor, the other thing I would suggest it to get a manual (they are a life savor).

pnut420
03-01-2004, 07:35 PM
If I were you I would do a rear shock rebuild which runs about $250, then search the for sale section and pick up some used works, PEP, Elka, Axis or a few other brands... Then just go with a 416 or 426 bore so all you have to do is bore the cylinder and put the piston and cam in. YOu might as well do a CRF450 timing chain while you are at it. Like silverfox said the hotcam stage 2 is great for the money, I used mine for MX and trails and loved it for both. Also you might want to get your heads ported, slip on pipe and things like that instead of the 440. The 440 is good, but a 416 built right will have more power.

jdibiase05
03-01-2004, 07:50 PM
so i wont have to buy a 426 kit, just bore out the cylender? and get hot cams stage 2?

pnut420
03-01-2004, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by jdibiase05
so i wont have to buy a 426 kit, just bore out the cylender? and get hot cams stage 2?

If you get a 416 or 426 you just have to bore the cylinder and get a 87 or 88mm piston which usually runs around $225 with basge gasket, pins, etc.. Where a 440 you have to but a sleeve also and have to have the cases split and its alot more work, itf doing it your self, get an ownder manual and it will guide you through the 416 or 426 install, the 416 or 426 is the easiest to do and will give you more money to spend on other things like exhaust and stuff.