PDA

View Full Version : Smoking!?

400ex austin
03-01-2004, 05:21 PM
My 02 400 smokes when i ride this gets very annoying. Im not hard on it and let it warm up before i ride i try not to over rev and bog the motor i think i ride just like the next guy and im not always topping it out and beeing hard on it. im just woundering why it is smoking when i rev and when i let it off to idle blue smoke comes out with a little black. it looks just like my blaster did i would like to know how i canfix the problem. BTW i have supertrapp exhaust k&n WITH air box lid on and stock jetting. is there any way to fix this with out spending a lot of money. I hate that it smoke and want to fix it. thanks for anyhelp!

SHADETREE101
03-01-2004, 05:44 PM
if you have a pipe and breather and haven't changed the jetting you probably have leaned the bike out and did some damage. you have to re-jet for the pipe and again for the breather. especially with no lid. sorry but i think you may have done some damage.

400ex austin
03-01-2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by SHADETREE101
if you have a pipe and breather and haven't changed the jetting you probably have leaned the bike out and did some damage. you have to re-jet for the pipe and again for the breather. especially with no lid. sorry but i think you may have done some damage.

I have an air box lid ON. I called supertrapp and they said that 4 disks in the exhaust ( its just at sclincer) would not cause damage and you wouldnt need to change gets. anyone else know how to fix it w/out spending a lot of money

Atreyu
03-01-2004, 06:18 PM
Sounds like you need rings chief...

400ex austin
03-01-2004, 06:55 PM
are rings a pain in the *** to put on does it hurt to run it with the bad rings?

dirtmomma
03-01-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Atreyu
Sounds like you need rings chief...

YUP our 400 is the same way right now just waiting for the time to put in the new kit!!

Aceman
03-01-2004, 09:22 PM
The blue smoke is definitely your rings. Waiting to replace them will be costly if the piston starts scoring the cylinder wall. Better off to replace them right away. Also a good time to replace your valve seals while the head is off.

EXRUFFRIDER
03-03-2004, 07:56 AM
How often do you clean your k&n??? The same thing happened to me i never cleaned my k&n and it started sucking in fine dust and did some damage to the motor. K&N filters are bad for that so you have to clean VERY frequently.
Also if it is smoking make sure you check your oil OFTEN or you will realy be screwed. if your smoking your burning oil.

Got_Mort03
03-03-2004, 01:41 PM
yeah mine is doing the same thing i am going to replace the piston,rings, and valve seals. i have a cobra pipe, WB filter, and have the carb setup for it, but it aggrevates the piss out of me.