PDA

View Full Version : Relocating the key

jeepeater347
03-01-2004, 07:23 AM
Just wondering who has done it and where did you put it?

benwa450r
03-01-2004, 07:46 AM
I removed the ignition switch completely. Follow the wire down to connector and unplug it. On ignition off, wires are shorted, but on ignition run, all wires are open so you can just unplug it. I have seen other people put ignition switch on right side of hood and temperature light on left side. Hope this helps.

RedRacer44
03-01-2004, 08:52 AM
I did the same thing, I just un-plugged mine entirely. Eliminates all that key bull****. I'm used to not having a key from riding my 250R so I'll just end up losing it or forget to turn it on everytime I start it :D

You could always just zip-tie it to the frame somewhere and leave the key/ignition on all the time. Probably what I'm gonna do when I go to the dunes to ride at night since i have no lights on my 250R as of right now!

Just a thought.......

bigz-71
03-01-2004, 09:02 AM
i bought a handlebar clamp that has a place for the key and a kill switch. its sweet. i had it on my 400 too. check out tom miller motorsports for that part(TMM).

quadrcr161
03-01-2004, 09:05 AM
if you unplug it you need to connect 2 wires so the electrical system will work. if you do a search it will tell you which wires to hook up and which 2 you need to hook to a kill switch.

holeshot19
03-01-2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by quadrcr161
if you unplug it you need to connect 2 wires so the electrical system will work. if you do a search it will tell you which wires to hook up and which 2 you need to hook to a kill switch. i unpluged the switch and the hot light as well did it yesterday at the fl gncc

2004TRX450R
03-01-2004, 11:54 AM
You can just unplug it all together and it will run fine. However your fan, carb heater, lights, and temp light won't work. If you are going to take it off and not jump the wires you might as well save some weight and at least take the fan off. If you want that stuff to still function just jump the red and black wires together. For the kill switch hook one wire to the Black/White wire and the other you can either ground to the frame or hook it to the Green wire at the switch plug.