PDA

View Full Version : Can i buy a slip on now and a header later?

kilabeez0
02-29-2004, 10:59 PM
I have money for a slip on, either a T4 or an e series. I was wondering if when i get a little more money I can buy an aftermarket header like a powerbomb or something? Are the gains the same is if I bought a full system all at once?

Thanks.

wheeltrax
03-01-2004, 05:48 AM
yes, you can buy the t-4 or e series and then get a header for it later. the only thing is, you wil have to make sure the header fits your slip on.

nikejoe
03-01-2004, 07:03 AM
I tried that and got screwed! It may be able to be done, but it didn't work for me! I bought an e-series slip-on. A few days later there was an ebay auction for a "White Bros. E-series header". In all my wisdom any dumby knows that a WB e-series header will work with a WB e-series exhaust. So I ordered it. I got it, and held it up, without ever mounting it and could see there was a problem. I e-mailed the seller and he said it was the header off his full system, he had broken the exhaust. Basically the slip on tapers down to fit the stock header. The WB header it larger the the stock, so the slip-on will not slide over the header. The header is also about 3-4" short of even reaching the exhaust. I'm sure you could have someone a whole lot mere talented than me make a transition from the header to the exhaust and make it work, but I decided it was not worth it. I sold the header on e-bay after explaining in my auction that it does not work with a slip-on! Just letting you know my experience. Maybe another header may work. But I would make sure. Good luck!

Sorry for the long post! :p

speedy400
03-01-2004, 09:02 AM
worked great for me, I had a megamax2 slip on, then I got the 416 kit, upgraded to a powerbomb header, then I sold my megamax on ebay and got a HMF slip on they work great.-darren

Raptor4439
03-01-2004, 09:07 AM
I was thinking about a HMF pipe on my 440. any good?

nikejoe
03-01-2004, 09:14 AM
I think a power bomb header will work with any slip-on. (I think)
It is the same size as the stock header back where the exhaust slides on to the header. Just don't do what I did!!! See above post for explation!:p

03-01-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by nikejoe
I think a power bomb header will work with any slip-on. (I think)
It is the same size as the stock header back where the exhaust slides on to the header

YOur exactly right. Any slip on that fits the stock head pipe will fit the powerbong..:macho

kilabeez0
03-01-2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by wheeltrax
yes, you can buy the t-4 or e series and then get a header for it later. the only thing is, you wil have to make sure the header fits your slip on.

ummm hence my question :rolleyes:

nikejoe
03-01-2004, 06:07 PM
kilabeez0 quote:
ummm hence my question

[/QUOTE]

Good point! To my knowledge and my experience described above you can not buy an e-series slip-on and then later get a WB header for it. But you can get a power bomb header for it later. I think that is what I'm going to do. Also just to let you know when you get a slip on. Take the header off and grind down the welds inside the header. I had heard of this but didn't realize how restricting the welds were. Once I saw the inside of my stock header, I got out the grinder. It will make a big difference. You can open them up quit a bit! Just fyi! Good Luck!!!:blah:

03-01-2004, 06:49 PM
no u cant buy a slip on and get the head pipe of that same pipe and expect it to match. The only options i know for sure work are the Fmf Hi-Flow header and the Powerbomb. I think PC might work too.